help with keyboard language setting

hello,

I've thought of learning Russian sometimes and so i got these stickers to modify the keyboard but the one I'm using has this weird layout called ABNT and the key mapping is not the same so I can't just change the layout on Linux to make it work
for people who use a setup like that is there an easy way to change both the keyboard system layout and the key bindings/mapping?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• H8841d529165d4f84aae1b036cc864e28L.jpg
    H8841d529165d4f84aae1b036cc864e28L.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20240108_181257572.jpg
    IMG_20240108_181257572.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 15
ABNT seems to be a Brazilian keyboard - but I don’t quite understand why you wouldn’t be able to just change the keyboard ‘language’ to Russian. Do the keys then not match the standard Russian keyboard?

ABNT seems to be a Brazilian keyboard - but I don’t quite understand why you wouldn’t be able to just change the keyboard ‘language’ to Russian. Do the keys then not match the standard Russian keyboard?

exactly, i think the stickers are meant to be used with an us-international keyboard not ABNT

i thought maybe there's a tool to map keys manually, something simple and seeing many people here use more than one language somebody could know about it

hello,

I've thought of learning Russian sometimes and so i got these stickers to modify the keyboard but the one I'm using has this weird layout called ABNT and the key mapping is not the same so I can't just change the layout on Linux to make it work
for people who use a setup like that is there an easy way to change both the keyboard system layout and the key bindings/mapping?

Thanks in advance.

What do you mean by "keyboard system layout"? You probably mean "keyboard layout"? You can change the keyboard type/layout and the language. How you do this depends a bit on which linux flavour you are using.

With debian based linuxes (Debian, Ubuntu, Mint) you can change it using command line / shell:

Code:
dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration
dpkg-reconfigure locale

This changes the system settings for keyboard, keyboard layout and system language.

For changing the settings in the GUI/X11 you can use "setxkbmap" which seems to enable you to even create a custom mapping. Under linux mint menu i just type "keyboard" into the menu search and find the app below under system settings. (See attached image). As you can see in the image you can add several keyboard layouts and activate/deactivate them whenever appropriate and you can even activate different layouts depending on which window/program is running.

See also https://medium.com/@damko/a-simple-humble-but-comprehensive-guide-to-xkb-for-linux-6f1ad5e13450

As already being said, we need to know which linux flavour you are using.

Attachments

• screeny.png
    screeny.png
    42.9 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
What do you mean by "keyboard system layout"? You probably mean "keyboard layout"? You can change the keyboard type/layout and the language. How you do this depends a bit on which linux flavour you are using.

With debian based linuxes (Debian, Ubuntu, Mint) you can change it using command line / shell:

Code:
dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration
dpkg-reconfigure locale

This changes the system settings for keyboard, keyboard layout and system language.

For changing the settings in the GUI/X11 you can use "setxkbmap" which seems to enable you to even create a custom mapping. Under linux mint menu i just type "keyboard" into the menu search and find the app below under system settings. (See attached image). As you can see in the image you can add several keyboard layouts and activate/deactivate them whenever appropriate and you can even activate different layouts depending on which window/program is running.

See also https://medium.com/@damko/a-simple-humble-but-comprehensive-guide-to-xkb-for-linux-6f1ad5e13450

As already being said, we need to know which linux flavour you are using.
it's a Debian based distro using x11

by changing system layout i meant to generate the Cyrillic characters together with the custom mappings so when i set layout2 in the system settings it also changes mappings
the issue with default kb software is that it won't let me swap/set custom keys i was looking at autokey but not sure it does that

it doesn't help that there are dozens of russian layouts

Attachments

• 17047623045383995166887292739851.jpg
    17047623045383995166887292739851.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 6
Back
Top Bottom