He's a psychopath, I think.

S

Susan999

I found this site while trying to find more info about what is a psychopath. What I am learning scares/relieves me.

I met this guy 35 years ago, really didn't want to continue the relationship at the time but he was so intense and I was alone. Then it seemed we had so much in common plus the things that were missing in my life seemed to an important part of his (like my parents sent only my sister and I to church with some neighbors who church hopped. It was confusing to me and made me afraid of God as they were all "God as controller" type churches and he was a strongly faithful Catholic who had a strong moral base..or so he made it seem).

I was battered by my mother, and he was the only person to show me any sympathy on this. Back then, it was the kid's fault. I would get lectured by teachers and the school counselors on how I was supposed to be helping my mom more even though I did 95% of the housework as well as babysitting to provide my own clothing, lunch money, bus far, etc., since I was 11. Looking back, though, the one time he was present when a beating was about to start, he suddenly had to go home rather than stick up for me.

After he was raped by his father, it suddenly became important to him that I should become pregnant. He presented this as a way for him to help me escape my violent home and he would marry me. I was 16.

The rape by his father I know to be true but didn't know about for many years. His father was a pedophile who molested both within his family and outside of it and I have talked with persons who were aware of this problem. Again, back then, the police weren't typically called into these situations in the Midwest but would be neighborhood knowledge to keep your kids away from so and so.

He was very seductive (I was a virgin) but once I was pregnant, he became hard to find. I was pregnant with the promise of marriage on one side and my violent mother on the other. I also had a tremendous fear of abandoment which my guy used to his advantage. I continually hunted him down and eventually we did get married and had two children.

I am embarrassed to even type this stuff but I think there is someone at this site who will understand.

So what happened next?? After a year of marriage, he entered the service and promptly started using drugs. He had never even drank in my presence up till then. For the next ten years, we lived in absolute poverty due to his drug use (he was dumped from the service after 2.5 years).

He would have arguments with me about whether I was a human being or a "piece of s__t."

He frequently vanished.

And everything evolved around him, even how I prepared meals. They had to be his way. If he thought I put some onion in something, he would throw the food against the wall. Our son, at less than 2 years of age, he would "carry" down a flight of stairs by having our son (don't want to use names) hold onto my guy's thumbs and dangle all the way down. At my protests, he claimed this "built trust." Needless to say, my son does not speak to him today and neither will he speak to me.

After my guy sobered up, he became a work addict and was rarely home. His Sunday NA meeting would turn into an all day affair. This was the one day he could be with his family but didn't bother. I have since learned he just sat at the halfway house where the meeting was held watching sports or "counseling" good looking females.

He confessed after sobering up to anonymous sex with women when he drove cab as well as two other affairs. Then he said he was leaving us, but he never did. He acted as if nothing had happened. He even would tell our two young children he would be moving out at the end of the month leaving everyone in turmoil.

Besides, no matter what happened, he was not at fault ever. Once he had me helping him move a TV into an entertaiment center and he dropped his end knowing I would not be able to hold my end up myself and I smashed a couple fingers. He had said he would tell me when to set my end down and when I confronted him as to why he didn't do this, he told me the first rule of teamwork is to watch out for yourself.

He also lies continuously. He even told me once that he had throat cancer and was going to have his voice box removed at a major medical center two hourse from home. He cried and everything. I went around trying to garner support for him through this difficult time. He never went to the hospital and I looked like a liar.

To cut to the chase, three years ago, I began suspecting he was having an affair again. Confronting him, he would say no. Then a name came up on my caller ID. When he came home from work, I confronted him on that. Again, no affair. So I called the number and spoke to a woman who had been in an off and on again affair for years with him. Even then, he wouldn't admit it was an affair but they were just good friends even as she was telling me some pretty specific things.

The next day, my guy took me to see a priest (one who did not know him) so he could confess. After seeing the priest, he knealt for a long time at the foot of the cross and went home and changed our phone number so she couldn't call him again. Months later, I spoke with this women and found that very day, he called her with our new number.

I learned a lot about this guy from her and even called a couple of his co-workers to get more info (he doesn't have any friends. He just hooks up with people who can help him with stuff he wants done and then doesn't bother with them anymore). Anyway, as the dust was settling, he got me to go to a marriage program with him that really seemed to help. We learned how to share feelings in a particular way that he said really helped him. After a few months' though, he quit doing it and the philosphies he had been proclaiming no longer applied, at least not to him. I was supposed to forgive. I was supposed to trust. I was supposed to love.

His lying continued on over the most ridiculous and unimportant things. I learned he would go the library to read some sort of In the News ecology items (each a paragraph long) and then would go to work to impress everyone with his intelligence as he would spin these items into speeches.

I also learned that he had told people at his job that I was a lesbian, that I ran up huge charge card bills, manipulated him continually to work overtime (I was pleading with him to stop working OT) among other things.

Then I discovered that some of people I worked with had friends and relatives who worked with my husband and new about my husband's activities. Over the years, I had reached out for friendships on my job and couldn't understand the standoffish attitude but that explained it. News travels fast and I had been the object of gossip for so many years. My coworkers knew about my husbands antics as well as heard all the character assassination. I had simply retreated to the point of "just doing my job" and given up on a social life anywhere. Eventually, I left this job even though I loved it.

Over the years, I thought I was messed up due to the child abuse I experienced and spent a lot of time in counseling, but no one asked about my husband and I never mentioned him. Or perhaps they asked and I assured them everything was fine. I don't really remember.

Actually, years ago I had learned never to say anything negative about him to anyone since bad things would then happen. Once he shrunk all my sweaters (I was just helping you with the laundry. You never appreciate anything I do for you). Another time my current favorite top disappeared (gee, I looked everywhere. You must have left it some place and forgot). Or I would find myself spending even more time alone for a while.

After he confessed about his anonymous sex and two affairs, I had asked him to go to marriage counseling. I had recently lost a significant amount of weight but was terribly shy and uncomfortable with the attention it brought me. When we arrived at the counselors, he told me that since his affairs were "old stuff" and drug-related and he was now sober, I shouldn't mention it. Then he proceeded to tell the counselor that I wanted to date and the counselor made me sign an agreement that I wouldn't date while we were in couneling.

Another time, when we were seeing a family counselor due to some problems our son was having, the counselor confronted him for "invalidating" me. Two days later, Social Services was at my door saying I had been reported for child abuse of my daughter. I was stunned. After SS left, my husband suggested that the counselor did this and was trying to break up our family. I much later learned he had gone to see the counselor and told her I had swung my daughter around by the hair and flung her into a wall. The counselor was required to report this to the authorities.

I guess I can stop going on. Is this a sociopath or a psychopath??

I handle all the money. He does nothing without being told and then you can't count on it happening without checking up on him.

He plays games with me. Example: I had a followup letter for a job interview that I did not want mailed until July 3 but I prepared it and put it out where I would remember it. I told him not to mail it. I explained I was mailing it on Monday so the manager would get it when she returned from the 4th of July holiday. He left it alone for a few days but on Thursday I saw it was gone. He had mailed it. His excuse? Oh, I thought you wanted me to put it in the mail for you. He claims he knew nothing my asking him to leave it alone, that I would take care of it. A small thing, but a continual thing.

I always had such a terrible fear of abandonment and it is embarrassing to write this stuff and realize what I have allowed in my life. He also keeps telling me what fine "character" I have.

I must also add that no one in his family, my family (including our children), or his workplace will speak to me. When I have asked why, I get glares.

My daughter is a lot like her father and i would do anything for my kids beyond what people typically do for their adult kids. Then, when she got married and pregnant, she started sending me emails saying she got to say whether I ever saw my grandchild and insinuated I had better do what she wanted. Well, I didn't do what she wanted. The next I learned, she was asking people not to tell me anything about her or her child (I have since learned she has two and perhaps now three children).

The one time I got her to agree to sit down with me to talk about what issues were bothering her, she swore at me (in front of her husband and mine) for an hour and a half but never actually gave an answer. Mostly it was character assassination like, "you are a mean person". When I asked for an example so I could understand better, the response would be a glare from her husband and she would say "You know perfectly well what I mean."

A few weeks ago, I found a Mother's Day card from the second year of her marriage that she made (she always loved making her own cards) and on the inside she had written "Thank you for being such a wonderful mom to me and such a wonderful mom-in-law to M_____."

I feel as if I am on the verge of coming back from crazy to sanity. I really think this stuff runs in families (my father-in-law, my husband and now my daughter). Can anyone relate. I set up an appointment with a psychologist who works with personality disorders for two months from now so I can read more. When I spoke over the phone with him about what I was looking for, I said I wanted to talk with someone who KNOWS about this stuff so I can get my questions answered.

I have been squirreling away a little money and started looking for a better paying job. I took a job outside my career field which pays half what I used to make. I have nothing left anymore. I suspect the character assassination my husband did on his job he had been doing in our families as I have never had a falling out or argument with any of them (outside my children when they were teenagers which I think is normal). I even am thinking of changing my name after I leave (not take back my maiden name).

I'm sorry for rambling. I hope someone can identify and tell me a person can recover from this.

Hi-

Well, a person can 'recover' from this, and even come away stronger for it, if they do the work of really understanding what is going on, and if they are ruthless with themselves about removing the psychopath(s) from their life. It is not easy, but it can be done, and I am living proof. I won't lie to you though, I still carry deep scars and still have days when I let wishful thinking barge its way into my mind and try to convince me that things could be different.

It is, in a very real way, a battle for your own sanity; for you own clarity, protection and understanding - it is a difficult battle, but the rewards are literally, positively, life transforming.

My initial advice to you is to read every article available not only on this forum (search psychopathy), but also on the Cassiopaea web pages (again, search psychopathy) http://www.cassiopaea.org/cass/site_map_qfg.htm - toward the bottom, on the left hand side of the page you will find a list of articles and resources.

I also advise you to break or stop contact of any kind with these people. I realize that when they are in your family, that can be a difficult thing to do, but as long as you allow contact with them, they will continue to affect every aspect of your life - you are, in a very real way, their food. I realize that sounds harsh, but if you are serious about getting your life back and about trying to heal from this, you have to remove these people from your life in any way you can.

From the evidence we have gathered, we too have concluded that there is a strong genetic factor at play here, although it is not the only factor.

The only other thing I can offer at this point is to let you know that you are not alone in this experience - it is much more common than you think - and, also, that in acting in favor of your own well-being, in favor of your own destiny - you are not acting against these people - so try not to let any guilt related to that enter the picture. You are not being 'mean', you are not attacking them, you are simply acting in your own best interests ( actually, for your own literal survival) - by removing them from your life in any way possible (even small ways at first will help).

You've taken the big first step of trying to learn about what is really going on - keep up the good work.

You have taken the first step, which is to identify the problem. Now you need to learn as much as you can about psychopathy. In this way, you will really see that the problem isn't you. There are people without a conscience, people capable of acting in the way you describe your husband.

Yes, you will have to learn new behaviours, that is, how to recognise psychopaths and how to defend yourself against them. You will have to change those behaviours so that you can no longer be manipulated by the ploys the psychopath has at his disposal.

You can download Cleckley's The Mask of Sanity from our bookstore (it's free):

http://www.quantumfuture.net/store/downloads.php

Other good books are Martha Stout's The Sociopath Next Door, Without Conscience by Robert Hare, Trapped in the Mirror (about the effects of living in a narcissistic family) by Elan Golomb, and In Sheep's Clothing by George K. Simon.

Stout gives the following rules for dealing with a psychopath in her book::

Stout said:
Thirteen Rules for Dealing with Sociopaths in Everyday Life

1. The first rule involves the bitter pill of accepting that some people have no conscience.

2. In a contest between your instincts and what is implied by the role a person has taken on -- educator, doctor, leader, animal lover, humanist, parent -- go with your instinct.

3. When considering a new relationship of any kind, practice the Rule of Threes regarding the claims and promises a person makes and the responsibilities he or she has. Make the Rule of Three your personal policy. (Three broken promises and you're out...)

4. Question authority.

5. Suspect flattery. (Individual and nations)

6. If necessary, redefine your concept of respect. ( Fear or respect?)

7. Do not join in the game. (Don't think you can outsmart or psychoanalyse a psychopath.)

8. The best way to protect yourself from a psychopath is to avoid him, to refuse any kind of contact or communication.

9. Question your tendency to pity to easily.

10. Do not try to redeem the unredeemable.

11. Never again, out of pity or for any other reason, help a psychopath concal his or her true character. ("You owe me." "You are just like me.")

12. Defend your psyche.

13. Living well is the best revenge.
And as Anart says, you need to break off contact with them. As long as they are part of your life, they will continue to drain you.

please,hold your horses,
A description/story of a man ,as gives by "Susan999" is certainly inconclusive in order to label someone
for psychopathy as understood in the signs pages.
This is example of linear ,non-scientific thinking ;
Truth is : That what is ,simply as it is.

Neither the kind or amount of suffering caused,nor the genetic aspect are exclusive for psychopathy,not by long .
In my perception , some aspects may point in the direction of some different thing going on.
(like -pathy ,or psychosis).The description in incomplete.
In the course of an excavation, an antropologist may change x time opinion ,based on the pieces of a building that is appearing
out of the sand;only after studying the total building it will make sence.

In modern homeopathic " case taking " a persons levels of behaviour,complaints,emotions,delusions,sensations (to the dept)
are very carefully studied by observation and direct interview ,in order to detect/see the signature of the real source on the energy level
that is causing the patterns observed in a persons life,story...
This source of disturbance may be of mineral,plant or animal kingdom .
So, few thousand homeopathic remedies are used ,known,studied..
The phenomenon of f. ex "organic portal " (and other condition) ,decribed on cassiopaea/signs pages makes sensible connection with homeopathic undestanding/studying today .
Only obvious thing to say on the story of "susan999" is : it seems to be a man with diturbance on energetic cq soul level .
Yes,Knowledge protects;but it's a assignment/dedication at the same time.
best regards
(not native english)

homeo said:
please,hold your horses,
A description/story of a man ,as gives by "Susan999" is certainly inconclusive in order to label someone
Whether or not the individual being described is a psychopath is not the point. The point is to identify the behaviours and learn to protect and defend onself. Many people in the world exhibit these behaviours because they are encouraged and rewarded in our reality. The quickest and simplest defence is to remove these people from your life.

After that, one needs to read as much as possible to come to an understanding of the problem and how to defend oneself if and when those behaviours manifest again.

Whether or not the source of the problem is genetic, societal, or due to an energy imbalance in any particular individual is not Susan's problem. That is the problem of her aggressor.

homeo said:
please,hold your horses,
In fact, it is not inconclusive at all. As Hervey Cleckley writes:

It is nevertheless true that the psychopath engages in behavior so unlike that of others and so typical of his disorder that no act can be reported of a patient from Oregon seen ten years ago without strongly suggesting similar acts by hundreds of psychopaths carried out in dozens of communities last Saturday night. I can only express regret to the scores of people whose sons, brothers, husbands, or daughters I have never seen or heard of but who have, no doubt, reproduced many or perhaps all of the symptoms discussed in this volume. This disorder is so common that no one need feel that any specific act of a psychopath is likely to be distinguishable from acts carried out by hundreds of others.
In short, once you know the program, just plug it it: you've seen one, you've seen 'em all. The important thing here is not whether Susan's guy is a "clinically diagnosed psychopath", the point is that, effectively, for all intents and purposes, his behavior is psychopathic. What she needs to do is get out and away from him. Period.

homeo said:
And is that statement an example of scientific thinking? Sorry, you lost me there...

homeo said:
Neither the kind or amount of suffering caused, nor the genetic aspect are exclusive for psychopathy,not by long .

In my perception , some aspects may point in the direction of some different thing going on.
(like -pathy ,or psychosis).The description in incomplete.
Doesn't matter what you perceive in your convoluted tetraphyloctomy. What matters is that, for all intents and purposes, the guy is a psychopath and the woman is suffering.

homeo said:
In the course of an excavation, an antropologist may change x time opinion ,based on the pieces of a building that is appearing
out of the sand;only after studying the total building it will make sence.
We aren't doing anthropology here, we are dealing with people who are still living.

homeo said:
In modern homeopathic " case taking " a persons levels of behaviour, complaints, emotions, delusions, sensations (to the dept) are very carefully studied by observation and direct interview ,in order to detect/see the signature of the real source on the energy level that is causing the patterns observed in a persons life,story...

This source of disturbance may be of mineral,plant or animal kingdom .
So, few thousand homeopathic remedies are used ,known,studied..
The phenomenon of f. ex "organic portal " (and other condition) ,decribed on cassiopaea/signs pages makes sensible connection with homeopathic undestanding/studying today .
Only obvious thing to say on the story of "susan999" is : it seems to be a man with diturbance on energetic cq soul level .
Yes,Knowledge protects;but it's a assignment/dedication at the same time.
best regards
(not native english)
In short, you really have nothing to offer here to Susan, a real live person who is suffering, except to suggest that she haul the guy to a homeopath? Get real.

Sorry, while I know that in some cases, under some conditions, homeopathic remedies are useful, I also know that it won't set a broken arm or clean out a clogged blood vessel that is an imminent stroke or heart attack.

Now, if you have a theory about homeopathy and psychopathy, you might like to start a new thread on that subject and present your research. For the moment, leave that kind of nonsense out of situations that are desperate and heart-breaking.

homeo said:
please,hold your horses,
There is a difference between labelling a behaviour, and labelling a person. In this case it is the behaviour which is being labelled as 'psychopathic', because that's what it is.

homeo said:
Neither the kind or amount of suffering caused,nor the genetic aspect are exclusive for psychopathy,not by long .
If a behaviour is causing suffering then that is what needs to be dealt with. There is no 'excuse' for inexcusable behaviour, even though there are possibly various different reasons WHY that behaviour happened. It may be because a person is a primary psychopath, or it may be for other reasons - that is a different issue, from dealing with the behaviour itself.

Thanks fo all those who made positive remarks and assistance.

Homeo, you remind me of the kind of thing my husband would do, running my head in circles leaving me trying to figure out what he is talking about.

RE the sociopath next door, I am nearly halfway through the book and learning a lot. I also downloaded the book that is online (Mask of Insanity) and hid it so spouse can't find it. He is big into revenge and head games. I mentioned the letter he mailed that I had asked him not to. Now he claims he doesn't remember our previous conversation where he said he thought I wanted him to mail it and maintains he doesn't know where the letter is.

So I am in the bind of searching for it (this is an important followup to my job interview) and, if I cannot find it, deciding if I should reprint it and mail it risking the manager (who will be making the hiring decision) getting the same letter twice. Not sending the letter makes it appear I am not that interested in the job or mailing it twice makes me look disorganized in a field where organization is a priority. In fact, she discussed my abilities to organize my work appropriately at my second interview.

I will continue to secretly save money, search for a better paying job and see the psychologist in a couple months with my questions as I decide when and how to leave (telling spouse would only setup more games).

I am also lowering my expectations and doing something recommended in Sociopath Next Door. I will not engage in trying to "help" him through analyzing him. He loves to do that where we just sit and try to figure out what would make him "better." He loves sympathy so it usually entails talking about all the people who did him wrong through his life (mainly me, the nuns at his schools, his aunt that he hated (by his way of looking at things, she forced his mother to divorce his alcoholic, child-molesting father who had even raped him but he forgets all but the "she made my mom divorce my dad part).

I feel like a sponge as I have started reading, as I see the meanness (if you are a relatively normal person) that is just a part of his winning. Even his sense of humor focuses on winning. He doesn't joke around and doesn't seem able to although if he is in front of a crowd who are focused on him, he likes telling a joke. Otherwise, his idea of a joke is taking a coworkers bicycle and hanging it in the rafters 30 feet above everyone's head (secretly when no one else is around) and then leave as the person is searching for their bike. Once he wrote a note to a guy who was dating a female coworker pretending HE was the female coworker and enclosed an advertisement for very expensive engagement rings in the note. He is a good mimic of handwriting and the guy thought this relatively new girlfriend was after him to get married. They nearly broke up over this before he realized the note wasn't from her. Spouse told me all about it, really enjoyed it and no one ever suspected him. I guess I may have provided my own entertainment for him as he has destroyed things of mine. He has nearly destroyed my spirit, but I believe I can recover and ENJOY the rest of my life, whatever that might be.

Susan999 said:
He has nearly destroyed my spirit, but I believe I can recover and ENJOY the rest of my life, whatever that might be.
good for you.

You might find this thread helpful, where I have posted a small extract from the (excellent!) book 'In Sheeps Clothing', listing some useful 'countermeasures' :

http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=2043

the only real way to not be prey to this kind of manipulation, is to have NO interaction AT ALL with that person. Sometimes that can difficult or even impossible, (for example, if you share a child).

homeo said:
please,hold your horses,
I am very glad the oportune intervention of Henry, Laura and Nomad caught-up and stopped the attempt of someone who found the reactions a bit rushed: homeo intentions were for Susan (he quotes her nick) to give this man another chance, exploring other avenues, prolongign the desittion of Susan to cut this individual from her life, and this by showing desperate arguments like that archeology crap.
It was interesting to see how homer found Susan 's post "inconclusive".
Susan, trust in your self as you do. Keep reading the material at hand. Knowledge trully protects.
I wish you well.

Susan999--I have recently ended a 10 Yr relationship with a person who exhibited similar psychopathic behaviors. I only have a few minutes to reply right now as I am without a computer at home for a while. Keeping a journal helped me recognize the insainity I was living with, how it was repeating, and my part in rationalizing, denying, and excusing the reality of the situation. Books that were essential to my being able to end it besides Stout and Cleckley are:

Why Does He Do That? by Lundy Bancroft
The Verbally Abusive Relationship by Patricia Evans
Stop Walking on Eggshells by ?? (look on Amazon)

If you can only get one for now--get Bancroft's book.
There are millions of women in our shoes and many many men too.
Get help from local Abuse networks to help you plan a strategy for leaving safely.
I empathize with you completely--perservere--your life is worth it.
shellycheval

Back
Top Bottom