HOW do you EAT ?

anart said:
I think most people talk as they eat because meal times are social bonding times, and quite significant as such.

To be here and now,to try to be aware of the moment while eating is more significant then talking.It is good for observing too.

Stevie Argyll said:
Reminds me of that classic risposte from Gurdjieff to someone mindlessly chattering whilst eating: 'What idiot God, only made one mouth should have made two!'

True.

Hi All !

Reading this topic got me to remember something. Back in Belarus, when I was a kid, I've hear a saying many times in regards to meals: "When I'm eating - I'm deaf and numb" (rus. Когда я ем - я глух и нем). I've heard it quite often from my grandmother in the village , who said that back in old days one would get smacked with wooden spoon on the forehead for talking during food consumption. Looks like this tradition, has been practiced in several regions. And just like with many other traditions, I am pretty sure people forgotten as to why :(

I do not know the origin of the saying/tradition, but it seems to have wisdom in it (not sure about spoon smacking though).

Reasons I can come up with:
-Like truth seeker mentions, it's a good exercise to be mindful and appreciate/reflect on food/processes involved.
-You do not chew well, when trying to talk at the same time. (which is definitely not good for digestion)
-It's disrespectful to others to talk with mouthful.
-Way of adults to make kids shut up at dinner table.

Back
Top Bottom