How many books is Laura working on?

Cyre2067

The Living Force
Just saw this post in it she mentions another book 'Fatal Rebirth', and i know about 'The Horns of Moses' and also that the next few Waves were in the works, so just how many books is Laura working on concurrently? Dare i ask for a few brief synopsis'?

The post is a quote - an excerpt from H. Michael Sweeney's book 'Fatal Rebirth' - not a new book by Laura (notice the attribution at the beginning of the post). As far as how many she's working on at the moment... only the shadow knowsssssss.

;)

Cyre2067 said:
... so just how many books is Laura working on concurrently?
Maybe the better question is: how many books is Laura reading concurrently?

Anart: was that a Babylon 5 reference?

domivr said:
Maybe the better question is: how many books is Laura reading concurrently?
The answer is easy. Here is the photo that I took a minute ago:

books20070605.jpg

Count the visible and extrapolate to take into account ones that are not visible :)

... seriously amazing, it would take me years to read all of that 8| sigh... wish they would have teach these kind of things on school...no wonder people hate school, they always teach you useless stuff.

I can only read two books a day, let alone that many of which Laura is reading. She got a library there.

Ah thanks for the clarification anart, and Ark for the photo. Wow.

@domivr - i think it was a reference to a cheesy alec baldwin mid-90s flick: "The Shadow"

Cyre2067 said:
Ah thanks for the clarification anart, and Ark for the photo. Wow.

@domivr - i think it was a reference to a cheesy alec baldwin mid-90s flick: "The Shadow"
LOL - I feel so old - actually it's a reference to what that cheesy flick was based on - I never saw the flick. I grew up with my father always using the expression, "only the shadow knowwssss" - so it stuck. =)

http://thepulp.net/theshadow.html said:
The Shadow
From the spring of 1931 until the summer of 1949, a slim figure cloaked in black fought mobsters, evil scientists, crazed old men and foreign invaders with two blazing automatics and a laugh that chilled the hearts of evil. The mysterious figure was The Shadow.

The popularity of a radio announcer – known as The Shadow – for Street and Smith’s Detective Story Hour convinced the publishing house to create a magazine for the character.

Street and Smith turned to newspaperman and magician Walter B. Gibson to bring The Shadow to life in the firm’s first character pulp magazine. Gibson, using the pen name Maxwell Grant, wrote 282 of the 325 Shadow novels. The remainder were written by Theodore Tinsley and Bruce Elliot, with one novel partly written by Lester Dent, the chief writer of Doc Savage.

It was only after the magazine’s tremendous success that The Shadow returned to the airwaves for a half-hour adventure program that lasted until 1954. Six two-reel movies, a serial and seven feature films have been based on The Shadow’s exploits.

anart said:
LOL - I feel so old - actually it's a reference to what that cheesy flick was based on - I never saw the flick. I grew up with my father always using the expression, "only the shadow knowwssss" - so it stuck. =)
It's stuck in me as well. My grandfather used to play the tapes of the radio show for me when I was a LOT younger. I think he took took delight in trying to scare us kids by playing the tapes, but I look back on it as a very good memory. Now, well, I'm pretty sure what evil lurks in the hearts of men ;)

Ark, does Laura have somewhere on the very bottom of one of the piles
Dynamics of Crowd-Minds. Patterns of Irrationality in Emotions, Beliefs and Actions by Andrew Adamatzky?
It's volume 54 of Non-Linear Science Series.

From Preface:
Mental Dynamics of a large mass of believing emotional entities, crowd-minds, acting at the edge of, or sometimes far beyond, rationality, was a subject of psychological studies in the last hundred years. As early as 1895 a similarity between crowds and spatiality distributed physical systems was implicitly brought up by Gustave Le Bon, who was a friend of Henri Poincare, and thus might have got a physical influence on his social theories. However, phenomenaof collective irrationality have never been studied from physics, mathematics and computer-science points of view. In the book we try to fill the gap, and thus develop abd study computational and automaton models of a crowd-mind.

What is crowd-mind? The crowd-mind emerges when formation of a crowd causes fusion of individual minds into one collective mind. In the crowd-mind 'derationalized by passion, deactualized by memory, ideas and purposes are reborn as irrational beliefs and symbols' (Moscovici, 1985). Members of crowd loose their individuality. The deindividualization results in emotional, impulsive and irrational behavior, self-catalytic activities, memory impairment, perceptual distortion and hyper-responsiveness to local neighbors; ultimately, this leads to 'distortion of traditional forms and structures' (Zimbardo, 1969). As Everett Dean Martin wrote in 1920:
' the crowd-mind is a phenomenon which should best be classed with dreams, delusions, and the various forms of automatic behavior'.

Rephrasing Ortega y Casset, we can say that the crowd-mind does 'not care to give reasons or even to be right', and this brings forward a key feature of the crowd-mind - the right not to be reasonable: 'the reason of unreason' (Ortega y Gasset, 1985).
SErge Moscovici indicates three notable symptoms of losing personality in favor of crowd mentality: decrease of intellectual component, increase of emotional component and disregard for personal profit (MOscovivi, 1985).

A collective delusion emerges when thought disorder interacts with disturbances of affect (Winters and Neale, 1983). The delusion may be seen as a symptom of mental disorder or at least collective divergence from the norm (MNoscovici, 1985). Collective behavior of crowd-minds is highly non-linear because of mutual actions between delusive thinking, emotional contagion and also 'collective movements and collective outburst' (Smelser, 1962). IN the book we study the non-linearity of crowd-minds using cellular automata, algebraic structures, artificial chemistry paradigms and mobile automata on lattices.

Book exploits paradigms of non-linear psychology, artificial life and sociodynamics to stimulate, analyse and characterize spatio-temporal dynamics of massive pools of mental entities, i.e non-trivial dynamics of crowd-minds.

This book takes a mathematical approach to ponerisation process.
It has lots of graphs, so would make a perfect entertainment for lonely rainy summer nights and a wonderful family reading!

pdf of PP presentation, Univ of Milano

Back
Top Bottom