I met a Snow Goose!

Debra

Dagobah Resident
I had an interesting encounter with a Snow Goose and here are a few pictures.

On our daily visit to Roberts Bay, an inlet just down the block from our home, there was a young Snow Goose, who was feeding on the grass and weeds on shore.

The main flock was off shore in the ocean, but this little guy was exploring the area.

He was not shy of us at all, and I suspect we were probably the first humans he had ever met.
He probably thought we were just odd looking caribou, since he and his flock had just flew in from the high Canadian arctic, or even from Siberia, according to the Hinterland Who's Who information page, linked below.
snowgoose1.jpgsnowgoose2.jpg
snowgoose3.jpg

"Lesser Snow Geese are usually seen in very large flocks and are always quite vocal. When flying they stay together in large groups, but they do not generally fly in Vs like Canada Geese. Instead they form lines or U formations that change shape frequently. Because of the apparent waving motion of the flying lines, snow geese are sometimes known as "wavies."

People who live in the lower mainland of British Columbia can not only see Lesser Snow Geese on migration, they can also observe the geese on their wintering grounds. This is because part of the large Lesser Snow Goose population that North America shares with eastern Asia winters in British Columbia’s Fraser River delta—after breeding 4 000 km away on Wrangel Island in the Soviet Arctic."

Gorgeous photos, he/she is a beautiful bird.
One thing the current situation in the world creates is a strong drive to appreciate the beauty around us and with us. In particular when we have the blessed opportunity to engage at a new level, like you have done with this snow goose.
I am constantly reminded by the flora and fauna to exalt in the magnificence of life and creation.

Back
Top Bottom