Idea for a new function.

T.C.

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
We have the "Quote" button at the top of a post, so that if we click it, the entire post appears in our message box with relevant info on who wrote it and when, and with the link.

Is there any way that we could highlight a section of text in a large post and then press the quote button, and just that part would appear in our message box but with all the relevant info to go with it?

T.C. said:
We have the "Quote" button at the top of a post, so that if we click it, the entire post appears in our message box with relevant info on who wrote it and when, and with the link.

Is there any way that we could highlight a section of text in a large post and then press the quote button, and just that part would appear in our message box but with all the relevant info to go with it?

Would be useful if possible. Have to wait for techie input.

T.C. said:

The way I do that is :

1. You select your text that you want to quote.

2. You copy it (using something like Ctrl C

3 You then select the quote button

4 And you enter your text between the 2 quote brackets (by the way, the cursor should already be there) in doing a paste or Ctrl V.

Gandalf said:
T.C. said:

The way I do that is :

4 And you enter your text between the 2 quote brackets (by the way, the cursor should already be there) in doing a paste or Ctrl V.

Thats a good work around in case no other option is available and I would be interested in a technical solution as well and especially how it could work, because the "forum" would need to know what was already selected beforehand.

Gandalf said:
T.C. said:

The way I do that is :

Just to be clear, the quote button I'm talking about is the one at the top right hand corner of every post, before you decide you want to reply. Not the one that's available along with the other options at the top of a message box that you've already started.

So, when we're reading a thread and there's a post, and we just want to quote a sentence from it, would there be any way to highlight that sentence in the message on the thread and hit the quote button in the top right hand corner of it, and then when our message box opens, there's just that sentence but the full code in the [quote= part so that it would give the whole, "Quote from T.C. on Today at 15:00:00" and be a link to the original.

That would be nifty, but it's kinda difficult.

Basically, JavaScript would have to capture the selected text, and then send a request to the server. The server would then need to take only that section and quote it when displaying the Post form.

Sounds easy, but what happens when there's BBcode or a smiley or an image or whatever?

Then the server would need to take the HTML, and somehow compare that to the message in the database that's being quoted, get the excerpt with BBcode/smileys/etc, and then display that as the quote when displaying the Post form.

That's probably why the feature isn't there in the first place.

Anyway, I've pretty much put a hold on any potential forum modifications since there's a new version coming "soon". It's currently in beta, so next will be a release candidate and then fairly quickly after that the final release.

Since they're changing darn near everything, any major mods I do to the forum now will have to be redone later when the new version comes out.
:(

Thanks for the response, Scottie. I hope the upcoming change isn't a huge headache for you and the others who work on keeping the Deathstar fully operational!

Back
Top Bottom