Idolo de Peña Tú.

Wandering Star

The Living Force
Today I visited this site, which according to Wikipedia:

The idol of Peña Tú (in Asturian Peñatú) is found in the town of Puertas de Vidiago, council of Llanes (Asturias, Spain).

The Neolithic set of paintings and engravings are reflected on the east-facing face of this rock located at the end of the Sierra Plana de la Borbolla; This situation makes the rock form a natural shelter for the paintings, which has made it possible to preserve it to this day, preserving it from inclement weather.

The rock has been known since ancient times by the inhabitants of the nearby towns, although it was not until 1914 when the first archaeological investigations were carried out,[1] highlighting from the first moment the figure that gives its name to the enclave: the idol.

Although the paintings are of minor importance due to their modest execution, what stands out from the group is the idol and his dagger. It is a 1.1 m tall figure representing the shape of a person wrapped in a tunic or clothing decorated with straight lines, short strokes and zigzag lines. The set is finished off with a headdress with lines coming out of it as fringes. Of the human figure, only the eyes, the nose and the left foot are perceived.

To the left of the idol is a dagger drawn downwards. This is believed to indicate that the figure refers to the burial of a man whose position within the tribe would be that of a great warrior or chief. In fact, almost at the base of the rock there is a cavity that could have been used for this purpose. The belief that the complex is a mortuary monument is reinforced by the existence of a series of prehistoric burial mounds and tombs in the mountains.

IMG_20221022_184528.jpg

This is a photo that I have taken today.

IMG_20221022_184440.jpg

I do not believe at all that it is what the experts say and the engraved dagger (according to said experts), immediately reminded me of this medieval drawing of the battle of Nuremberg in 1561.

il_fullxfull.3541822556_16jn.jpg

In any case, what I wanted to share with you is the back of the rock where the engravings are. That is.

IMG_20221022_184129.jpg
Here with another angle.

IMG_20221022_185032.jpg

The thousands of years of granite wear, perhaps have caused something recognizable as a strange face...

But, it has surprised me a lot.

And in the end, from that small hill, the sunset gave me an incredible light.

IMG_20221022_183753.jpg
IMG_20221022_192327.jpg

IMG_20221022_192830.jpg

Found a 3D model of the "idol", but my browser/old computer don't allow me to upload it... , if someone is interested here is the link and the model's description :

"Perched stunningly in the Sierra Plana de la Borbolla, at Llanes in Asturias, Northern Spain, consisting of a Neolithic rock shelter preserving wonderful examples of prehistoric art.
The idol, interpreted as human form, features eyes, nose and feet wrapped in a cloth or robe, possibly representing a tribal elder or warrior, indictaed by the adjacent dagger motif, and making Peña Tú likely to be a funerary monument.
The images are interspersed with crosses demonstrating the later Christianisation of the site. Other figures include a faint animal motif and numerous red forms throughout.
Peña Tú is likely a part of a series of sites dispersed across the region that are almost certainly connected with a wider common culture, stretching from Ireland to Scandinavia to Tunisia, in the Neolithic.
Surveyed by drone and Land Rover Defender. Many thanks to Prof. Pablo Arias Cabal and colleagues.
Photos: J. Gillespie, B. Mason and G. Momber; Model: B. Mason

Published 6 years ago"

Very beautiful pictures of the sky. And about the strange visage... amazing. It is really an head of a lizard? How strange!
To me it really looks like a lizard face with some kind of Egyptian type headdress, although it is so worn by the passage of time, that who knows.

In fact, that part of rock is not even considered as something archaeological to protect. The rock has razor scratches from people declaring their love.

What is protected is the area where the engraving of the alleged "idol" is, with a fence preventing access.

By the way, the engraving of the Idol, if seen through the eyes of a child, looks like a rocket-type ship with two round windows and two lower propulsion nozzles. In addition to an electric or light halo around the ship.

But of course, how is that going to be? It is an anthropomorphic figure.

Asturias is quite rich in monolithic history, while living there i've visited most of well known places including pena tu, and also few unknown even for locals.
More interesting is that picture of battle of Nuremberg, which i've accidentally found few days ago while digging local paranormal blogs, interesting because i had recurring dream where i go outside to some open space look at the sky and sky is replete with ufos, i stand there and think it is far from normal and it seems nobody care (there is nobody around anyway) when i saw the medieval image few days ago it automatically remained me those dreams due to high similarity. this image resurfaced yesterday again so i've counted it to my wife and resurfaced today here. Full synchronicity
Returning to monoliths, there is beautiful corner with the dolmen merilles, really worth climbing, village below have quite some trails and nice views

Returning to monoliths, there is beautiful corner with the dolmen merilles, really worth climbing, village below have quite some trails and nice views
Yes, I did that route a year or so ago.

The small dolmen is curious to see, but what I liked the most is that while I was climbing the mountain with my family, there were eagles and vultures circling in the sky above us all the way.

A beautiful site.

They were hoping for easy dinner :)
i have climbed there with my daughter which was little kid back then, had to piggyback her final mile and arrived wasted, however view was nice and dolmen given my interest in them was totally worth it too.
Smallest dolmen i found was something like 40x70cm, that was a little thingie but had to be powerful cause locals got mad at me after that
Wander how mainstream science explains such a little dolmen, burial site of chiwawa of the tribal boss?

Back
Top Bottom