Important Notes on Psychopathy

ROEL said:
I don't want to sound negative, but I remember reading that Psychopaths have a deficient emotional "structure," (they are built that way) and it being so, something that cannot be changed. If this is the case, empathy cannot be taught. Am I recalling correctly? :huh:

The research is ongoing, but it seems likely that if the brain structures involved with empathy aren't there or aren't functional, you're not going to "teach it." What is unclear is whether there is something other than true empathy & conscience that can be acquired. Martha Stout mentions possible cultural influences, and George Simon writes about working with 'disturbed characters' to develop alternate behaviors. He doesn't hold out much hope for working with true psychopaths, though. What I remember him saying is "run!".

I am not certain, but to me it appears that once someone that lacks "hardwired" empathy and conscience chooses a destructive path, they tend to stay on that path. From my own direct experience, that path probably won't involve serial murders, but it will leave behind some kind of trail of destruction, whatever that person endeavors to do.

I have a few issues myself with hardwired features not working, though not directly involving empathy or conscience. I am able to work around it to a large extent, partly by intervening consciously, partly by establishing automatic "scripts," and partly by avoiding situations where I tend to have a lot of trouble (not always possible). It can be a lot of extra effort at times, but it seems to be at least partly conscience-driven.

I would think that a similar strategy could work for some people lacking empathy & conscience if that was what they wanted to do (and there are advantages to choosing that path). If, however, they were not inclined to compensate then they would have absolutely no compulsion to do so -- conscience would provide no orienting effect.

Megan said:

I am not certain, but to me it appears that once someone that lacks "hardwired" empathy and conscience chooses a destructive path, they tend to stay on that path. From my own direct experience, that path probably won't involve serial murders, but it will leave behind some kind of trail of destruction, whatever that person endeavors to do.

I have a few issues myself with hardwired features not working, though not directly involving empathy or conscience. I am able to work around it to a large extent, partly by intervening consciously, partly by establishing automatic "scripts," and partly by avoiding situations where I tend to have a lot of trouble (not always possible). It can be a lot of extra effort at times, but it seems to be at least partly conscience-driven.

I would think that a similar strategy could work for some people lacking empathy & conscience if that was what they wanted to do (and there are advantages to choosing that path). If, however, they were not inclined to compensate then they would have absolutely no compulsion to do so -- conscience would provide no orienting effect.
Having suffered neo-natal trauma, and before knowing that this was the case, I was aware that empathy was a 'direct' issue, and developed conscious strategies to 'empathise' with people, that involved using the adaptive unconscious as an active partner in the process. It works to a degree, although the 'trueness' of it I'm not sure, as I've never experienced the real thing. I get the impression though that I'm still operating 'at a distance' from the other person. Working with the writing exercises (Pennebaker) and Levine's somatic exercises may bring some relief, and a possible solution. Fortunately, conscience still seems hard-wired. :)

Back
Top Bottom