Internet-use disorder?

durabone

Jedi Council Member
Recalling previous threads regarding addiction to World of Warcraft, this might have seemed inevitable:

_http://rt.com/news/internet-use-mental-illness-389/

I wonder what drugs they'll come up with for it?

Potamus said:
Recalling previous threads regarding addiction to World of Warcraft, this might have seemed inevitable:

_http://rt.com/news/internet-use-mental-illness-389/

I wonder what drugs they'll come up with for it?

I dunno, but what I wonder is what would happen if the above article was sent to the folks who wrote the "if you're not on facebook you may be a psychopath" article? Maybe if they fight it out, we'd be rid of both? :)

Guardian said:
Perceval said:
Online therapy? :lol:

GROANNNNNNN :lol: :lol:

That doesn't sound too far-fetched.
Am I the only one who thinks it seems self-contradicting that... "Kids are identified as being especially at risk."
Well..they insist on teaching most things via internet :/

I am online and this IS therapy. However, it is 4:00 A.M., so this may be bordering on a disorder, as I must get up for work, and take the dogs out at 6:00A.M. BUT, I saw this thread and it seemed worth a look as it applied. Allright, got that off my chest and seem tired. Funny how that works.

Oh dear, I heard about this story a while ago and it still makes me feel sick:

Similar behavior has also been exhibited by adults: A Korean couple was arrested in 2010 after their infant daughter starved to death while the pair played an online game for hours. The videogame the two were playing involved raising a virtual baby."

From personal experience I can say that it is quite easy to get sucked into an addictive game such as World of Warcraft and shut out the real world for a 'rewarding' fantasy. Some of the people I've known in the past could sure do with some 'Online therapy'!

All terrible jokes aside ( Perceval ;) ) this is a very real thing. I used to be addicted to World of Warcraft. The game is so notorious for it that a lot of people in the internet's gaming community call it World of Warsmack. I ate up my life for about two years. But it isn't just video games, simple internet use can become compulsive, again speaking from personal experience. Even now I can get lost in the net, look at the clock, and realize I've been surfing for hours, burning time that could be used for better things.

However, I think labelling it as a mental illness is a bit much.

Explorer said:
However, I think labelling it as a mental illness is a bit much.

Exactly. It is 'real' in terms of, yes, people do get like that but then they expect some outside source to 'heal them' when it's a matter of exercising one's will, osit.

I was doing it for years in my teens, not a game, just the internet itself - most of the time, I did play games also -, but when I'm dizzy and messed up every following day and overall all the time, one wonders how many times a person can do this without realizing what they're doing to themselves.. I've been getting better in the last couple of years but it wasn't until I read Lights Out that finally made my decision final about going to bed at 10 every night and waking up when the sun gets up.

Immersion said:
Similar behavior has also been exhibited by adults: A Korean couple was arrested in 2010 after their infant daughter starved to death while the pair played an online game for hours. The videogame the two were playing involved raising a virtual baby."

This is just horrible...and it goes to show how out-of-hand this can get if someone doesn't even realize they have a problem!

Back
Top Bottom