Iran holds Holocaust-denying cartoon contest

angelburst29

The Living Force
I had to do a double take on this article, when I came across it. If this is "legit" - it's going to get some mileage?

Two weeks ahead of International Holocaust Remembrance Day, Iran has announced a contest aimed at creating cartoons that deny the genocidal event occurred.

Iran holds Holocaust-denying cartoon contest (1-minute video)
_http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4752645,00.html

Iran has announced that it will be holding a cartoon contest aimed at creating caricatures denying the Holocaust. This year, the contest's grand prize has been increased from $12,000 to $50,000.

The contest, organized by the Teheran municipal authority, is calling for cartoonists worldwide to send in works denying and satirizing the Holocaust. Unlike previous contests of this kind, this one is especially significant due the fact that it is organized by official authorities of the Iranian capital, and has an international emphasis. The prize money is also several times what it was before.

Israel's UN Ambassador Danny Danon contacted UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon, demanding an official condemnation of the contest. Danon wrote that holding the event is an anti-Semitic act that expresses true evil, and that Holocaust denial is the strongest expression of anti-Semitism, which gives legitimacy to the murder of six million Jews.

mod: deactivated link

If true, those officials who are organizing this need to be given the boot. Iran has been making quite a bit of headway in terms of international relations and doesn't need a few idiot city officials to hamper their momentum. But I'd be interested to see what the details are because this just seems over the top.

edit:

So far I only see Israeli sources on this. And from the few previous drawings I saw, they weren't so much about the holocaust but about Israel. Israel likes to conflate itself with the holocaust, so I'd be curious what the actual description of the event is.

Interestingly this comes shortly after the Ayatollah Khamenei released that stinging cartoon comparing ISIS and Saudi Arabia.

Here is the report from the Iranian news medium, IRNA.

_http://www.irna.ir/en/News/81883105/

Tehran biennial to grant $50,000 cash prize to best cartoon on Holocaust

Tehran, Dec 17, IRNA – Organizers of the 11th Tehran International Cartoon Biennial has allocated a cash prize of $50,000 for the best cartoon on the Holocaust, the organizers announced on Wednesday.

Three other cartoonists will also receive cash prizes of 12,000, 8,000 and 5,000 dollars respectively, the secretary of the biennial, Masud Shojai-Tabatabai, told the Persian service of MNA.
He added that the competition will be held in June 2016 in Mashhad with cartoonists participating from 50 countries.

“We do not mean to approve or deny the Holocaust, however, the main question is that why is there no permission to talk about the Holocaust despite their (the West) belief in freedom of speech.
“Moreover, why should the oppressed people of Palestine pay the price for the Holocaust? We are also worried about the contemporary holocausts in which a great number of women and children are being killed in Iraq, Yemen and Syria,” he added.

Shojai-Tabatabai also said that a contest focusing on the portrait of Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, has been arranged on the sidelines of the competition.

The Palestine Museum of Contemporary Art will be hosting an exhibition of the works at the time of the competition.

Yaakov001 said:
Ah, its Iran. Does this surprise ANYONE at all?

Not me. I'm familiar with the last stage of the petty tyrant strategy. It could happen.

To me, it's like the old Japanese concept of Bushido that western minds don't have a concept for, but to my mind, the middle east must have a functional equivalent because Iranians (and literally anybody really) can be both extraordinarily sensitive and loving and extraordinarily brutal...even in humor...just like the samurai of old.

I have no idea if the cartoon contest is really, really for real, despite the Tehran news report, I'm just saying it wouldn't surprise me at all (note the deliberate lack of value judgement).

It seems to me that this is their response to Western cartoons mocking their prophet. I think their plan will not succeed, because it will show the difference between Western and Islamic attitudes about "blasphemy".

When Westerners mock Mohammed, Islamic priests and leaders call for extreme violence and death.
When Islamic people mock or question Jewish tenets, the response is to complain and maybe ask for judicial intervention.

Thinking people will quickly dismiss stupid ideas, and do not need protection from propaganda. There is no need to censor even the worst propaganda from an informed public, as they would naturally laugh at it.

Are there any legit sources? Couldn't find the info outside western media. And frankly, an Israeli media talking about Iran is not the first reliable source out there.
Also, there is a difference between mocking the holocaust religion as practiced today, and denying the holocaust (which is idiotic and ignorant). The first and second cartoons winning the 2006 contest for example (see _https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Holocaust_Cartoon_Competition) do not deny the holocaust so the phrasing of the news in western media can be suspicious. Also, note that the 2006 contest was organized by an Iranian newspaper, not by Iran.

Edit: Here are the results from the 2006 contest _http://irancartoon.ir/news/archives/2006/11/post_586.php
I don't read Farsi so I couldn't find a 2015 contest reference there.

mkrnhr said:
Are there any legit sources?

I'm searching and will be happy to post anything I can find.

mkrnhr said:
Also, there is a difference between mocking the holocaust religion as practiced today, and denying the holocaust (which is idiotic and ignorant).

Indeed, and I agree. I noted the difference between the topic title and the contents of the announcement obyvatel posted and just assumed everyone else did too, so I figured it wouldn't really be about 'denial' no matter who is involved.

I don't get any impression the Iranian gov't has anything officially to do with this, though, but like I said, I'm searching for evidence one way or the other...

Buddy said:
mkrnhr said:
Are there any legit sources?

I'm searching and will be happy to post anything I can find.

mkrnhr said:
Also, there is a difference between mocking the holocaust religion as practiced today, and denying the holocaust (which is idiotic and ignorant).

Indeed, and I agree. I noted the difference between the topic title and the contents of the announcement obyvatel posted and just assumed everyone else did too, so I figured it wouldn't really be about 'denial' no matter who is involved.

I don't get any impression the Iranian gov't has anything officially to do with this, though, but like I said, I'm searching for evidence one way or the other...

These are a few links that are coming up on the contest ...

Iran To Host State-Sponsored Holocaust Denial Cartoon Contest
_http://www.breitbart.com/national-security/2016/01/16/iran-to-host-state-sponsored-holocaust-denial-cartoon-contest/

Jan. 16, 2016 - Iran announced this week that authorities are hosting a state-sponsored contest to see who can create the best Holocaust denial cartoon. The grand prize has been boosted this year to $50,000, up from $12,000, according to reports.

Tehran will host the Holocaust denial cartoon event in June 2016, after gathering an expected hundreds of submissions from the Islamic world. Last year, Iran received 839 anti-Semitic cartoons for consideration.

The state-sponsorship of this event by the Tehran municipal authority is a new development this year, the reports said. And organizers say the competition was created to highlight the West’s supposed double-standard when its citizens draw Muhammad, who is not allowed to be caricatured in Islam.

Danny Danon, Israel’s Ambassador to the United Nations, has contacted United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki Moon, calling for the international body to condemn the grossly anti-Semitic, state-sponsored contest.

“This anti-Semitic act represents the pure evil of the Iranian regime,” Danon expressed. “Denying the Holocaust is one of the most powerful expressions of anti-Semitism, which legitimizes the deaths of millions of Jews,” he added, reminding the UN leader that International Holocaust Remembrance Day is right around the corner, on January 27.

Iran Launches Third Holocaust Denial Cartoon Contest (4 cartoons)
_http://jewishbusinessnews.com/2016/01/14/iran-launches-third-holocaust-denial-cartoon-contest/

Jan. 14, 2016 - Organizers claim the purposed of the competition is designed to highlight the world’s double standard in defending caricatures of the Muslim prophet Mohammed, whose depiction is forbidden in Islam.

Israeli officials urge UN to condemn Iran Holocaust cartoon contest
_http://www.timesofisrael.com/israeli-officials-urge-un-to-condemn-iran-holocaust-cartoon-contest/

Jan. 14, 2016 - The winning drawing of 2015 was of an Israeli crane erecting a wall around the Dome of the Rock. The Auschwitz-Birkenau concentration camp is featured on the wall in the cartoon, by Abdellah Derkaoui of Morocco.

The 2015 contest was condemned by the US State Department, officials in Israel and the Anti-Defamation League.

Iran has held a number of events questioning the Holocaust in the past, including a conference intended to prove the Shoah as exaggerated.

International Holocaust Cartoon Competition
_https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Holocaust_Cartoon_Competition

The Hypocrisy of Iran's Holocaust Cartoon Contest
_http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2015/01/the-hypocrisy-of-irans-holocaust-cartoon-contest/385058/

Jan. 31, 2015 - This isn't the first time Iran has held this contest. After the Danish newspaper Jyllands-Postens published cartoons depicting Muhammad in 2005, the two organizers held the first International Holocaust Cartoon contest, attracting over 1,200 submissions from around the world. The entries selected for recognition took two basic editorial positions. The first was that the Holocaust didn't happen at all. And the second was that even if it did, Israel's treatment of the Palestinians is hardly better. The first prize went to a Moroccan cartoonist named Abdellah Derkaoui, whose drawing featured an Israeli crane constructing a wall around Jerusalem's Dome of the Rock. A concentration camp is painted on the wall.

The purpose of the contest, according to the organizers, is to highlight Western hypocrisy over the value of free speech. Following the attack on Charlie Hebdo, people around the world expressed solidarity through the ubiquitous "Je Suis Charlie" slogan, indicating a defense of the newspaper's right to satirize religious piety. Critics of the newspaper, though, pointed out that Muslims weren't offended by Charlie Hebdo's irreverent speech. They were instead insulted that white Parisians mocked religious values held by France's immigrant population, a group that has long been marginalized within French society. And according to Massoud Shojai Tabatabai, one of the organizers of the 2006 conference, the Western commitment to free speech doesn't always include denying the Holocaust, which remains a criminal offense in countries like Austria.

"Why is it acceptable in Western countries to draw any caricature of the Prophet Mohammed, yet as soon as there are any questions or doubts raised about the Holocaust, fines and jail sentences are handed down?" Tabatabai told The Observer that year.

But there's a difference between drawing an offensive caricature and participating in the negation of an established historical fact. And while Holocaust denial didn't begin with Iran, Tehran's contribution to the practice has been especially shameful. Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, Iran's president from 2005 to 2013, claimed that the Holocaust was a "myth" designed to protect the existence of Israel. In 2006, the year of the first cartoon contest, Tehran sponsored an international conference to "review the global vision of the Holocaust." Ahmadinejad's successor Hassan Rouhani acknowledged and condemned the Holocaust upon taking office in 2013, but neither he nor his suave, U.S.-educated Foreign Minister Mohammed Javed Zarif have expressed regret for their country's role in its denial. Ayatollah Khamenei, Iran's supreme leader and the man who controls the country's foreign policy, has called the Holocaust a "distorted historical event."

Iran's Holocaust cartoon contest arrives amid worsening anti-Semitism across Europe. In France, Jewish people comprise 1 percent of the population—yet they are the victims of almost 40 percent of all hate crimes in the country. Jewish community leaders say that nearly 100,000 French Jews have left the country since 2010, and many more have made plans to follow them. Two days after the Charlie Hebdo attacks triggered international outrage over terror attacks on free speech, Amedy Coulibaly took several hostages inside a Jewish grocery store. Six died, Coulibaly included, when police raided the store.

The Iranians who organized the cartoon contest believe that shunning Holocaust denial means Western commitment to free speech is shallow. The real hypocrisy, though, is that by the deliberate offense of the world's Jewish population, the cartoonists are mocking a group that in many ways is as threatened and marginalized as they are.

Obama Ally Iran Sponsors Holocaust Denial Contest
_http://www.worldjewishdaily.com/iran-holocaust-denial-contest.php

Jan. 17, 2016 - Shevat 7, 5776 - It's easy to come to the conclusion that Barack Obama has never had a real friend.

He keeps on telling us that Iran can be our international partner, the terror state that helps us fight other terror states. His secretary of state keeps on saying that diplomacy is getting us somewhere, even as Iran violates test bans on ballistic missiles and takes U.S. soldiers hostage. And he keeps on telling the Jewish community and Israel that all this rapprochement with the most destabilizing force in the world is actually good for them.

But how does he explain the fact that Iran, the new U.S. friend, is sponsoring yet again a Holocaust denial cartoon contest? Is that good for the Jewish people? Is denying another people's existence and pain a liberal value? Surely, the president will censure Iran in some way for this blatant hate.

Iran has announced that it will be holding a cartoon contest aimed at creating caricatures denying the Holocaust. This year, the contest's grand prize has been increased from $12,000 to $50,000. The contest, organized by the Teheran municipal authority, is calling for cartoonists worldwide to send in works denying and satirizing the Holocaust. Unlike previous contests of this kind, this one is especially significant due the fact that it is organized by official authorities of the Iranian capital, and has an international emphasis. The prize money is also several times what it was before.

Then again, it just might be that Barack Obama does not understand the definition of "friend." After all, he treats our true friends like enemies and our enemies like friends.

mod: deactivated links

Thanks angelburst29, have you found anything other than from Western media and Israel?

What I'm looking for, and what I think mkrnhr is asking about, is something... anything... produced by the Iranian government itself, or any recognized official from Iran's current administration, indicating, in an undeniable way, that the government sponsors or directly sanctions (promotes?) the contest. Haven't found anything yet, myself, and currently thinking that nothing will be found.

Thanks for your efforts.

Buddy said:
Thanks angelburst29, have you found anything other than from Western media and Israel?

What I'm looking for, and what I think mkrnhr is asking about, is something... anything... produced by the Iranian government itself, or any recognized official from Iran's current administration, indicating, in an undeniable way, that the government sponsors or directly sanctions (promotes?) the contest. Haven't found anything yet, myself, and currently thinking that nothing will be found.

Thanks for your efforts.

The only Iranian website, I'm aware of is "Fars News Agency" (FNA). Doing a search on the site - brings up only one article - dated Mon Apr 06, 2015. The information, so far, points to an Organization ( International Holocaust Cartoon Contest ) sponsoring the event. I haven't come across any "government personalities" connected to the organization or personally endorsing the Contest, itself?

Iran to Hold 2nd Int'l Cartoon Contest, Exhibit on Holocaust
_http://en.farsnews.com/newstext.aspx?nn=13940117001136

TEHRAN (FNA)- The secretary of the Second International Holocaust Cartoon Contest announced that 839 artworks have, so far, been received by the secretariat, adding that an exhibition of all the cartoons sent to his office will also be held in Tehran in early May.

Yaakov001 said:
Ah, its Iran. Does this surprise ANYONE at all?

So France can do this (via Charlie Hebdo) but Iran can't? And besides when it comes to the media, a person really has to look into the source. The media is a big problem when it comes to people's perception. It doesn't need to lie outright. It just needs to report what liars say, emphasise something and not report any mitigating information to counter a claim. And, they're just doing what they do.

Exploring Iran's cultural arts, music, etc., my understanding is that, the International Cartoon and Caricature Contest is another venue that features various "theme's" in which "art works" are submitted to Iran's House of Cartoon via an International Cartoon and Caricature Contest. Last June, the theme featured " ISIL Takfiri terrorist group". The contest on the theme of "the Holocaust" was first introduced after Iran hosted a Holocaust conference in December 2006.

Iran anti-ISIL cartoon competition concludes (Video)
_http://217.218.67.231/Detail/2015/06/01/413777/Iran-ISIL-Takfiris-cartoon-contest-Tehran-Nimrud

Mon Jun 1, 2015 - A about the crimes of the ISIL Takfiri terrorist group has concluded in the Iranian capital, Tehran, Press TV reports.

On Sunday, a team of cartoon and caricature experts judged more than 1,000 works submitted to Iran’s House of Cartoon , the organizer of the event.

About 270 works were selected from the submissions, including works by artists from over 40 countries such as Brazil, Australia and Latin America.

The selected works will go on display in four different locations in Tehran.

The contest focused on the terror group’s horrific crimes, including beheadings, bombings and destruction of ancient artifacts, in the two Middle Eastern countries of Iraq and Syria.

“I’m very happy to have participated in this contest because I believe in the cause. The carnage that ISIL has committed to art and culture as well as humanity is beyond belief,” a contestant told Press TV.

Aref nazari, a contest winner said that “People of the world regardless of their religion or ideology need to know what ISIL is doing to humanity.”

Alireza Pakdel, another contest winner, said that “the atrocities of the ISIL need to be shown in a wider scale and it was the best platform to do it. A caricaturist like me has a great responsibility and I try to play my part in revealing the true identity of this terrorist group.”

The competition formally known as the DAESH International Cartoon and Caricature Contest , launched in February, entered its second stage last week.

ISIL terrorists, who have persecuted minorities and people of various faiths, are also targeting artifacts and museums in Iraq.

Earlier in March, the Takfiri ISIL militants “bulldozed” the ancient Assyrian city of Nimrud in the northern part of Iraq.

The terrorist group released a video on February 26 showing its members using sledgehammers and drills to smash ancient statues at the Nineveh museum in the northern Iraqi city of Mosul, which put on display Assyrian artifacts dating back to the 9th century B.C.

Iran hosts Holocaust conference
_http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeast/2006/12/200852513053660495.html

11 Dec 2006 - "Its main aim is to create an opportunity for thinkers who cannot express their views freely in Europe about the Holocaust."

The event, which Iran has said will question whether gas chambers were actually used against the Jews, has drawn criticism from Holocaust survivors, Jewish organisations, human rights groups and Western governments.

Sessions at the two-day conference, held at the foreign ministry's Institute for Political and International Studies, were to include Holocaust: Aftermath and Exploitation and Demography: Denial or Confirmation?

The conference was inspired by Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, the Iranian president, who since coming to power last year, has been criticised for comments referring to the Holocaust as a "myth" and calling Israel a "tumour".

French writer Georges Thiel, who has been convicted in France for spreading revisionist theories about the mass extermination of Jews, said the Holocaust was "an enormous lie".

"Jewish people have been persecuted, that is true, they have been deported, that is true, but there was no machinery of murder in any camp, no gas chambers," he said.

Participants included about half a dozen Jews from Europe and the US, some wearing badges depicting the Israeli flag crossed out. One wore a badge saying: "A Jew, not a Zionist."

"We came here to put the Orthodox Jewish viewpoint," said British Rabbi Ahron Cohen. "We certainly say there was a Holocaust... But in no way can it be used as a justification for perpetrating unjust acts against the Palestinians."

The conference has upset Iran's 25,000-strong Jewish community, said Moris Motamed, the sole Jewish representative in Iran's parliament.

"Denying it [the Holocaust] is a huge insult," he said. "By holding this conference, they [the government] are continuing to insult the Jewish community."

Many ordinary Iranians admitted to embarrassment about the event, which follows Iran's decision to hold a competition for cartoons about the Holocaust in October.

A former senior government official, who declined to be named, said that hosting the conference was unwise given diplomatic pressure on Iran over its nuclear programme.

He said: "Such conferences should not be held."

Back
Top Bottom