Israel Shamir misquotes Edward Herman?

As we all know Israel Shamir is one of our favourite writers. He writes poetically, beautifully and with passion. His crusade against Zionism and championing the rights of its victims is very noble.

In a recent article Of Mice and Men http://www.israelshamir.net/English/Gaza_Mice_Men.htm he quotes Edward S. Herman of Manufacturing Consent fame in the following excerpt:

Israel Shamer said:
"The Jewish tradition is rampantly ethnocentric and dehumanises outsiders with a gusto that could hardly be exceeded", - wrote Ed Herman in his Triumph of the Market
As it happens I bought that book a couple of years ago and it struck me as odd that Herman, who I find is not too different from his colleague Mr. Chomsky, would write such a thing. I went to go look at p. 131 where the quote was sourced and found this:

Edward S. Herman said:
Judaism has produced many noble soulds and fighters for human betterment, but the Jewish tradition as described in the Old Testament is rampantly ethnocentric and dehumanizes outsiders with a gusto that could hardly be exceeded.
Now is it just me or is our good friend Mr. Shamir, shall we say, taking certain liberties with that quote? Not only is quote taken incorrectly (see the above in bold) but I don't believe that Herman wrote that with the context that Shamir is presenting it. In fact it's fairly obvious that it's not. It's understandable, the two have very different worldviews expecially in regards to Jewish affairs. Shamir writes cirtically of Jews in a manner that's outside the so-called 'Mainstream (read: acceptable) opinion.' Herman is not as critical and I believe is like his colleage Mr. Chomsky on the border of the 'Mainstream' with the other left gatekeepers and possible Zionist agents.

I don't want this post to be about the whole "who's the REAL anti-Zionist" debate that nitwits like Daryl Bradford Smith seem to indulge in waaaaay too much (perhaps deliberately so). Nor do I want this to be an argument that one write 'should' learn about the true nature of Zionism/"Jewish Persona" since it's rudely pushing someone into your own worldview instead of rationally convincing one to accept it. I still remember when that idiot Henry Makow lambasted Howard Zinn for not including the European meddling and intervention during the U.S. Civil War (uhhh Harry the book's title is PEOPLE'S history not HIDDEN history. Not only that, it's pretty stupid to criticize Zinn for not knowing something that many scholars on the Civil War probably aren't aware of either and that only you and the other reactionary conspiracy junkies that buy into that obviously pre-packed worldview (read: disinfo cultural paradigm) seem to be fixated upon. What's next, you going to criticize Joseph Stiglitz for not 'outing' the Federal Reserve and it's 'Jewish backers'?).

Ummm, sorry I tend to go off on my own tangent at times. :)

The point is I'm a little disappointed with this action taken by Shamir who I normally believe doesn't need to stoop to such actions. Taking someone else's quote and morphing into a different context to suit your worldview is, IMO, misquoting someone to say the least. People will read that and believe that Herman has the same views towards Jews as Shamir's when a look at the actual quote will demonstrate that that is not the case. Nor do I think that Herman would appreciate it either.

In any case I hope Shamir refrains from such actionss in the future.

OPINMYND81 said:
As we all know Israel Shamir is one of our favourite writers. He writes poetically, beautifully and with passion. His crusade against Zionism and championing the rights of its victims is very noble.

In a recent article Of Mice and Men http://www.israelshamir.net/English/Gaza_Mice_Men.htm he quotes Edward S. Herman of Manufacturing Consent fame in the following excerpt:

Israel Shamer said:
"The Jewish tradition is rampantly ethnocentric and dehumanises outsiders with a gusto that could hardly be exceeded", - wrote Ed Herman in his Triumph of the Market
As it happens I bought that book a couple of years ago and it struck me as odd that Herman, who I find is not too different from his colleague Mr. Chomsky, would write such a thing. I went to go look at p. 131 where the quote was sourced and found this:

Edward S. Herman said:
Judaism has produced many noble soulds and fighters for human betterment, but the Jewish tradition as described in the Old Testament is rampantly ethnocentric and dehumanizes outsiders with a gusto that could hardly be exceeded.
Now is it just me or is our good friend Mr. Shamir, shall we say, taking certain liberties with that quote? Not only is quote taken incorrectly (see the above in bold) but I don't believe that Herman wrote that with the context that Shamir is presenting it.
I dont see anything wrong with Shamir's use of Herman. The modern Jewish tradition and its excesses are based on and justified by biblical texts.

If it is agreed that Jewish tradition as described in the bible, "is rampantly ethnocentric and dehumanizes outsiders with a gusto that could hardly be exceeded", then it is fair to say that modern Jewish tradition is part and parcel of the same biblical tradition.

I think the question here should be: who are the carriers and promoters of this tradition and is it fair to say that all Jewish people ascribe to it?

Joe

I agree without reservation about how the modern Jewish mentality has taken a great deal from the Old Testament mentality. Indeed, it's one of the largest elephants-in-the-room in today's society; that we can point out that many Jews hate Gentiles far more than the supposed 'anti-semites' have towards the former. Israel clearly embodies the Old Testament mentality despite whatever dead fantasies Leftists Zionists may have.

I could go on and on about this topic but was not the point I wanted to bring up in the post and I actually said something to that effect. The point was would Herman support Shamir's taking of his work and wording it in that particularly fashion? While I cannot answer for Herman personally my guess would be that he would not. Herman does not strike me as the type of writer who views Jews and critiques them the same way writers like Shamir, Lenni Brenner and Israel Shahek do. He writes mostly for Zmag and you would be hardpressed to find that outlook on Jews in that type of publication. Taken he's a colleague of Chomsky and that Chomsky, while criticizing certain aspects of Jewish culture, Zionism, Israel, etc. certainly does not subscribe to that point of view on Jewish affairs we could safely assume that Herman's views parallels that with Chomsky's. Based on that you have to ask yourself is it fair for Shamir to have done that? (At the very least he could have quoted it properly putting in "..." to replace the old testament part.) And do you think Herman would appreciate Shamir doing that? My guess would be no.

Back
Top Bottom