Javier Milei has been elected president of Argentina

Whether that takes the guise of civic nationalism like Trump's or the anarcho-capitalistm of Milei, it really seems primed to exploit the swing of the pendulum backwards and to exploit the economic and social chaos of the coming times for radical restructuring of our societies a la Shock Doctrine.

It is true. And it is a truth older than the concepts used in the shock doctrine. The point is to understand these movements and know how to use them to pursue a dynamic equilibrium, in favor of your nation.

balanza1.jpg

The gold standard could indeed solve the money printing problem, which led to high inflation. However, whether with or without a gold standard, isn't the core problem that the government spends much more than it has? Reduction of expenses needs to happen in any case.

Yes, it is the logic and common sense of public money management. But of course, people from other countries assume that Argentina and Argentinians cannot or do not know how to do it. And here I would have to expand at length on Argentine history. How do I explain this to you here without having to make you swallow books and books about what happens here?

Understand this, you cannot apply the way of seeing things as you do in the northern hemisphere even if the mathematics is the same.

And in that, I dare say that the same thing must happen to Russians when Europeans or American citizens simply do not understand the Russian mentality.

What happens here with economic crises is that a government arrives (generally with a Peronist tendency) and manages money well, and then another government comes, generally neoliberal, and sells you even to your grandparents' grave. Which is what Whitecoast correctly pointed out. It's this pendulum thing.

Nationalizing profitable industries to increase income can work too, if done properly. Russia seems to be doing well with nationalized oil and gas production, while Venezuela had a lot of problems with it - maybe due to being smaller and less resistant against outside pressures.

Well, that is something that historically Peronism always did and with it it was able to manage the economy well. From 1945 onwards, Argentina has pivoted between the nationalization of its resources and the sale to foreigners, due to this same question of the pendulum cycle. And now it's going to happen again. YPF (think of the company as if it were Gazprom but smaller) is going to be privatized again.

Understand this, you cannot apply the way of seeing things as you do in the northern hemisphere even if the mathematics is the same.

And in that, I dare say that the same thing must happen to Russians when Europeans or American citizens simply do not understand the Russian mentality.
While I am somewhat familiar with Argentinian mentality (living across the river in Paraguay) and very familiar with the Russian mentality (originally from the USSR), I am not sure what understanding the mentality has to do with it.

Like you said, the mathematics is the same: When the government spends more than it has and as a result prints too much money, it destroys the currency. The US is doing exactly the same right now, despite a different mentality.

I think the cutting of expenses was not done because it is unpopular with a lot of people who depend on the government. But now that the currency is in freefall due to too much spending and money printing, cutting expenses seems to be what the majority wants.

I think the cutting of expenses was not done because it is unpopular with a lot of people who depend on the government. But now that the currency is in freefall due to too much spending and money printing, cutting expenses seems to be what the majority wants.

Well, it's not that simple. Yes, there are things to cut and others not. And unfortunately Milei wants to cut spending in the same way you want to get rid of an anthill by dropping a thermonuclear bomb. You can eliminate the women's ministry which has proven to be a pretty useless woke thing, but don't touch the public health system, and education, in the name of the market.

And yes, I have to comment on people's mentality so that others who read me, not just you, have a chance to begin to see how things are around here.

I ask you, what do you understand by social justice? Because we Argentines have a different concept. You will give me your answers and then I will tell you the difference.

Well, I am going to make a parenthesis and I am going to comment in several posts fragments of the reality and political and economic history of Argentina.

Here I will explain one of the causes of inflation in Argentina:

One of the structural causes of our inflation (taking into account that our type of inflation is properly structural and inertial) is the liberalization of the financial system resulting from the famous law passed by Martínez de Hoz.

In that law, as described by Rapoport, among other things, the obstacles and requirements to open banks were reduced, which created more banks than we really needed, established 45% reserve requirements (which before was at 100% and deposits were nationalized, nationalization that was also eliminated), and on top of that subsidized the banks' losses by establishing the BCRA as the lender of last resort.

The result was uncontrolled issuance and a gigantic inflation that had to be mitigated with a ridiculously high interest rate that encouraged speculation.
Instead of blaming the BCRA for all the ills we need to repeal the Martinez de Hoz law.

Unfortunately, you will never see the "libertarians" talking about the law of financial institutions.

Who was Martinez de Hoz?:

José Alfredo Martínez de Hoz (h), nicknamed Joe, (Buenos Aires, August 13, 1925 - Ibidem, March 16, 2013) was an Argentine lawyer, economist, politician and university professor, who served as Minister of Economy of the Nation between 1976 and 1981, during the civil-military dictatorship called "National Reorganization Process", presided over by Jorge Rafael Videla together with the Military Junta. [...] He was deeply related to international financial organizations and centers, so much so that a few days after the beginning of Martínez de Hoz's administration, the International Monetary Fund (IMF) quickly approved a credit of 110 million dollars that allowed improving the level of foreign currency reserves available in the Central Bank of the Argentine Republic, but heavily indebted the country.

As you can read, this happened during the last military dictatorship. Without that dictatorship these policies would hardly have been implemented.

Here you can read in more detail the financial reform of 1977:

The military dictatorship that took power in March 1976 imposed a new model of accumulation based on financial valorization, which put an end to more than forty years of import substitution industrialization. This model sought to reestablish the hegemony of the market in the allocation of resources and to displace the State as the planner of the development process by means of external, commercial and capital openness, in addition to social discipline. One of the pillars of this drastic transformation of the country was the reform of the financial sector carried out in 1977, which implied the consolidation and domination of speculative finance over production.

Perception

Trump has long praised autocrats and populists. He’s now embracing Argentina’s new president

November 22, 2023 (AP) —
Donald Trump has long praised a particular type of foreign leader — men he describes as “tough” and “strong,” even if they have chipped away at their countries’ democratic norms.
The former president and GOP front-runner is now celebrating the newly elected leader of Argentina, Javier Milei, a wild-haired, chainsaw-wielding, self-described “anarcho-capitalist” dubbed “the madman” by his admirers.

“A very special congratulations to Javier Milei on a great race for president of Argentina,”
Trump exulted in a video posted Tuesday on his social media site that echoed an earlier statement. “I am very proud of you. You will turn your country around and truly Make Argentina Great Again!”

Milei’s resounding win gives Trump a new potential ally if he wins the White House again — and underscores his enduring influence on global politics in the near-decade since he launched his first bid for the presidency. It’s also the latest example of the potency of right-wing populism that flirts with authoritarianism, and an anti-incumbency fever that has spread across much of the world.

“It’s just so much easier to be a populist than it used to be,” said Steven Levitsky, a Harvard University political scientist and co-author of “How Democracies Die.” Levitsky cited several global trends that have reshaped both Argentine and U.S. politics. Among them: the repeat economic shocks the world has suffered since 2008, the fallout from the coronavirus pandemic and the reach of social media.
Rising populism and anger at the perceived establishment could shape not just next year’s U.S. presidential election, but votes across the world. The United Kingdom, Mexico, India, Pakistan and Taiwan are all expected to vote on new leaders in 2024.
“Voters want figures from recognizably outside the political establishment who basically want to punch the establishment,” Levitsky said.

(...)“There is definitely a feeding off each other,” said Gimena Sánchez-Garzoli, the director for the Andes at the Washington Office on Latin America, a human rights organization. She said both men are products of the same economic and social forces ...both seen as celebrities who project a sense of machismo and thrive on “being as outlandish as possible, to keep ratings going.”
“What Trump did was he broke the rules of how you talk about things,
” she said. “I think he made it OK to go after your opponents in a very no-holds-barred, no respect, exterminate them at any point way,” which, she said, wasn’t the kind of rhetoric “you saw to this level in Latin America before.”

For those who haven't heard this:

It's not a joke, and you can read the whole article for more details. He "channels" each dog that he had cloned, for advice, he hears voices, etc. I think that beats even Biden's "episodes".
When I first found out about him winning, I joked: "well... I hope the dogs give him good advice". I am living here, and I am very sad about this, but we were presented with a difficult choice where none of them is fit to the job (in my opinion). For me it was just the time for this to happen to us, as some of you said, it is time for everybody to wake up and this guy seems to be a huge noisy alarm clock.

Dave Rubin for Javier ! ( 2 minute clip)

Watch Tucker’s Head Explode When Javier Milei Say What No Politician Will Admit​

@Bluegazer of course they are idiots as you say, you are quite right with your deeper analysis and the things you point out but no more than in other places to focus only on that, the same dynamics like the one you mention of the guy who is not aware of Politics because it is very tired occurs everywhere, in the end people due to laziness and lack of knowledge are trapped in polarization and change sides depending on how deeply either the left or the right sinks into a cesspool that serves no one and this phenomenon is only getting worse due to the increasing putativeness of both sides, in the end it is a little out of people's hands due to the limited options they have to choose from, in the places where If there are better results it is because capable enough people come to power and the people can see that... but again that is somewhat out of people's hands due to their limited understanding of the ponerological process...
ok, yes, It is evident without much effort that if you pay attention to Milei he is clearly unbalanced and more than that, but people due to the system in which he is trapped and because of the idiocy you mention will not be able to see it, in fact I am aware of several people who do not They would be described as idiots and that they were aware of the issue and the politics itself and that even so they do not see major problems with Milei due to the strong polarization that has dirty their minds and they are not going to see it because in addition the emperor is naked, the to have continued with the same thing and for it to turn out badly is something unacceptable for the ego... as they already said a few pages ago, there is a lot of suffering left for people to see that they have no choice... Massa still seems better to me despite everything, but let's see how this Milei evolves... dollarizing seems like a huge mistake to me (if it is implemented) that could be catastrophic in the future, but again...

people don't see enough danger in it And to tell the truth, I don't know if there can be a way out of that path, maybe there is, although by then it may be totally chaotic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just some thoughts, FWIW:

Something I often say about Trump whenever anyone asks, is "he may be a clown, but he didn't start any wars, which is a lot for the US. Not even Obama, the Nobel Prize of Peace, did that." And that usually gets people thinking, or to stop arguing at least. IOW, look at what they do abroad, as well as inside the country.

In Milei's case, that point is not looking good:
- Befriending the US and Israel
- Calling Russia, China, etc. even commies
- Not wanting to join BRICS
- Argentina's position in the Mercosur being questioned because of Milei's attitude, after 30 years of membership.

That alone makes me think that he will destroy the economy even more (and dollarization of not, the above can be bad enough).

Regarding the woke agenda, he is often spot on, as he is on many other points, but so was Hitler on some issues, wasn't he? Milei has had such an effect on people because he says a lot of truth, AND he fuels people's anger. It's not about "idiots" or not, I think. It's basic psychology, and we know that that can affect several other more educated/rational populations and all. Proof: the COVID nonsense.

Added to that is also something very particular to, and frequent in Latin America, I think, which is a tendency to almost create a "cult" around leaders. People either hate or adore leaders (see Chavez, or Cristina Kirchner, etc). They go "all in", no middle ground, often with a dose of religious fervor. That is part of a collective lesson, I guess, until it is learned. But for now, it's almost like watching a play.

We have to wait and see. In the larger scheme of things, this is "just" one more country, and a poor one at that. It doesn't change anything to the global situation, I don't think. So yeah, people in countries like the US making a big deal out of this election is a joke, IMO. They don't care, and it won't affect the world at large. It's still America's (and Israel's) back patio. (The timing is interesting, though, with Argentina almost having been admitted into BRICS, and Israel going more psycho than ever. )

An unstable president for an unstable population. That is happening more and more, me thinks. Look at Biden, look at Macron... It may not be what people want consciously, but maybe the nation's psyche as a whole matches their "vibes"/state of being.

And remember that hardly any president is a real player in the game, so Milei can promise X and Y, but whether he does it or not, it's still a 50/50 chance.

In the end, for those of you who live there, I would say that I understand your frustration, and even share it from afar, seeing the country where I grew up as it is today, and having loved ones still there who are quite worried. BUT, like with everything, we have to try and see it with an eagle's eye, and be a bit more detached if we can. AND, to have faith that things are happening exactly as they should. You can even try to laugh a bit about it! It IS ridiculous, if you think about it. Not even President Camacho in the movie idiocracy channelled his dogs.:umm::lol:

More interesting is Milei's vice-president, Victoria Villarruel. She is very much a product of the 'political caste' Milei has castigated in recent months. Her father and grandfather were top Argentine military commanders during the dictatorship, which she habitually defends by contrasting it with the 'commie terrorist connections' of subsequent democratic governments.

On her Wikipedia page, it says:

In 2008, she took a course in Inter-Agency Coordination and Combating Terrorism at the William J. Perry Center for Hemispheric Defense Studies a U.S. Department of Defense institution based at the National Defense University in Washington, D.C.
And:

Villarruel's point of view was that organized terrorism also occurred between 1973 and 1976, when it had a democratic government. She postulated that the two major Argentine guerrilla groups of that era, the People's Revolutionary Army and Montoneros, had links with the Castro regime in Cuba and with the Palestinian Liberation Organization (PLO), with at least one of the groups training Islamists in the Middle East and supplying the PLO with weapons that were used in deadly attacks on Israel. Villarruel said that this history was later covered up by the Kirchner government, that the terrorists of the 1970s went on to enjoy the Kirchners' protection, and that many of those former terrorists held positions of responsibility in the Argentine establishment, citing civil servants or journalists. In her talk, Villarruel also accused the Kirchner government of acting in complicity with Iran.

Well, well, well.

As far as I'm aware, neither Iran nor Israel were issues during this election campaign. And yet, in the background, they inevitably loom over the election due to its coincidental timing with the latest Gaza war - which Israel and US-dominated media are linking back to Iran.

And now I learn that Milei's VP pick has made a career in - nay, whose entire upbringing is steeped in! - vilifying Iran, Israel's and the US' main Mid-East enemy.

...Which becomes super-interesting when you know the decades-long history of 'Israel vs Iran in Argentina':

Israel and Judaism featured, indirectly, in the recent Argentinian presidential campaign, with president-elect Javier Milei expressing strong support for both, despite neither being topics of political debate among the candidates. However, in the past, Israel and events involving Argentinian Jews have been such hot potato topics that they have brought down governments. It seems a long time ago now, but in 1992 and 1994 two massive bombs blew up the Israeli embassy and the Jewish Community Center, respectively, in Buenos Aires, killing dozens and injuring hundreds of Israelis and Argentine Jews.

Barely a year after the end of the USSR in 1991, and thus the end of the Cold War and the 20th century paradigm of world geopolitics fought through the lens of Capitalism vs Communism, a terror attack blamed on 'Islamic Jihad Organization', a previously-unknown terror group linked in media reports to Lebanese self-defense group Hezbollah (and thus to Iran), blew up the Israeli embassy in Argentina. In a sense, this event heralded the new geopolitical paradigm of 'Civilization vs Barbarism'.

The media back then misinformed the public about the nature of both the 1992 and the 1994 bombings in Buenos Aires, which were in fact most likely caused by explosives planted within each building - thus not 'truck-bombs', much less 'suicidal truck-bombs'. The motive ascribed to these bombings at the time was that the Iranian government was 'upset' at the 'stalling' of negotiations between Argentina and Iran to assist with the development of a civilian nuclear program for Israel's Mid-East rival, cooperation that had been ongoing since the mid-1980s.

So they torpedoed it by... blowing up Argentine Jews? Make it make sense! No one has succeeded in almost 30 years...

In any event, Iran and 'the bomb', and its having uranium processing plants at all, of course later came to feature heavily in geopolitical intrigues, so it's interesting to see just how old (and how much of a 'red line') this issue has consistently been for the US and Israel.

The above report by Gareth Porter (Bush's Iran-Argentina terror frame-up) superbly summarizes the farcical 'investigations' into these bombings up until the time of its publication in 2008, although its author apparently missed the bombshell 2006 report in Argentinian media about an Israeli diplomat who was arrested while departing Argentina for Chile with a sack full of explosives:

What happened next is that the Kirchners (husband and wife, Nestor and Cristina), as successive presidents of Argentina from 2007-2015, attempted to handle this hot potato by ultimately calling for a 'truth commission', an all-encompassing re-investigation of the bombings, to be set up in conjunction with the Iranian government. Cristina Kirchner's impetus for doing so became clear when she publicly named Guillermo Borger, the successor president of AMIA, the Jewish community's organization in Buenos Aires that was blown up in '94, as being "in contact with a foreign espionage agency that knows of a new terror attack planned against Argentina." Between the lines, all understood this to be a reference to the Mossad, not Hezbollah or Iran.

This obviously spooked the Israelis, and AMIA president Borger, who somewhat sinisterly stated that any new investigation would "allow a third bombing in Argentina." But before any truth commission could get off the ground, Cristina Kirchner found herself deposed, and briefly jailed, on 'corruption charges', all of which stemmed from alleged immunity she had granted Iranian officials when forming her (re)investigation into the 1990s terror attacks.

Thusly was the last serious attempt to really investigate the Buenos Aires bombings buried under the rubble.

Now it's 2023, the concept that atavistic Muslims bomb Western capitals for absurd and patently unachievable politico-religious ends is 'common knowledge', and along comes an ardently pro-Israel president (and vice-president) of Argentina at a time when Israel desperately needs international support for its premise that Hamas, Hezbollah and Iran constitute an 'Axis of Evil' that requires another international 'Coalition of the Willing' to eliminate.

It's all a bit perfect, no?

Last edited:
Spanish journalist Sergio Gregori comments on Tiktok:

A famous Argentine song used to say "don't cry for me Argentina". And today, without serving as a precedent for the good Evita, I am going to say that Milei's victory is the greatest Latin American defeat of the last decades. Has won a brainless man who has channeled social discontent in a reactionary key like no one else.

We have hate-filled lunatic capable of stirring up a hornet's nest against anyone with a desire for social justice.

Argentina is facing hard years, the winner is undoubtedly the lapdog of financial capital, but trying to find something positive for the whole of humanity with this victory, if something can be found, is that the Latin American country will represent an example for the whole world, as said Gerardo Tecé:

Argentines have always been the best advertisers in the world. Now they have come up with a spot for the world to see what happens when you are governed by a right-wing extremist.​

And Carlos Sanchez Mato on X said:
I only hope that Milei implements his program in its entirety.
He should eliminate the Central Bank, dollarize the economy, reduce taxes by 90%, eliminate subsidies to the poorest and privatize health and education.
And while he is at it, let him pay homage to Videla.
And then let the people rise up

And perhaps the victory of a fanatical moron will serve to vaccinate the world of libertarian theory at a time when this has become the fashionable ideological thesis, mainly among young people without certainties or direction and addicted to YouTube.

A user replied to Sergio Gregori​
People didn't elect Milei, they actually went against Peronism. If the ballot had been between Bullrich and Milei, Bullrich would win.​

The Cs have told us that it takes more suffering for people to wake up and if everything is a lesson, Milei represents that lesson from our point of view.
Q: (Tristan) In the previous session it was mentioned that more people needed to be awakened, so that more opportunities could be created for the good guys to help. Are enough people being awakened on the planet?

A: Not nearly enough. More suffering needed unfortunately.

A wolf in sheep's clothing

Although Milei sold himself as an "outsider" who is against communism, neoliberalism and the left woke that defends the 2030 agenda, the truth is that this strange character is an ULTRA-neoliberal who goes to the extreme of defending the genocide of Israel, because Milei is an economist who worked for Klaus Schwab at the WEF, which is precisely the institution where the great looters of the world are. Where neoliberal agendas are promoted through infiltrators to continue controlling the destinies of the planet.

Macri also arrived driven by the WEF and already in power he pawned Argentina with the International Monetary Fund. Now Milei will hand over oil and lithium to the WEF and privatize health and education services.

These neo-neoliberals disguise themselves as something they call libertarianism, not to say that they are neoliberals, because that word has become so devalued. But the truth is that they are identical except that they, the libertarians, are much more pedantic.

There is one important thing that gives hope to the Argentines, even though they gave him a landslide victory, Milei will assume the Presidency next December 10 with the weakest Government of the last decades, unless he makes an alliance in the three weeks he has ahead of him. It is in a minority in both Houses of Parliament and has no territorial power: none of Argentina's 24 provinces is governed by La Libertad Avanza (LLA), the party founded by Milei in 2021. It could happen that all of Milei's crazy ideas turn out to be mere witticisms.

On the other hand, China has already warned Milei that breaking off relations would be "a serious mistake".

Thanks for the info @Niall There is still a lot of explaining to do in this matter.

Another thing that connects us with Iran, besides a nuclear program, is the Argentine missile program:

Iran's shadow is once again cast over the development of an Argentine missile. The Condor II, that guided rocket that was cancelled in July 1990, revived with force in 2009. The control of the project was left in charge of Fabricaciones Militares (FM), which despite its name is managed by Julio De Vido and his Ministry of Planning.

Following that decision, FM interested in the missile the Compañía Anónima Venezolana de Industrias Militares (Cavim), sanctioned last week by the US State Department due to suspicions of operations linked to missile technology with Teheran.

Representatives of the Venezuelan company visited Fabricaciones Militares last September and signed agreements on technology transfer for chemical compound plants used in missile thrust engines. The negotiations are part of a strategic military agreement signed between Argentina and Venezuela, whose main partner in this matter is Iran.

In July 2011 it was President Cristina Kirchner herself who put an end to the mystery of the new Argentine missile.

She publicly presented the launching of the prototype during the Armed Forces camaraderie dinner, so that there would be no doubts about its military use. That night, the Argentine national soccer team was playing one of the Copa America matches, so the presidential message rehabilitating the Condor II, now called Gradicom, went unnoticed.

It was a confirmation of the suspicions of the U.S. Embassy in Buenos Aires. Since 2007, that diplomatic delegation had been interested in potential spin-offs from a local rocket project to put satellites into orbit. According to the secret cables leaked by WikiLeaks, the Americans asked Argentine officials about the real objectives of the space plan. In 2010, they determined that De Vido wanted to make a ballistic weapon, hidden under a supposed civilian use.

Project Condor II began in 1985 with the signing of secret decree 604 and was deactivated in July 1990, following pressure from the United States. Arab nations were behind the financing of the plan. For 15 years, Argentina proved to be a good international pupil, even holding the presidency in 2003 of the International Missile Technology Control Regime, which monitors the proliferation of rockets with a range of more than 300 kilometers. Such weapons are banned, although powerful countries have thousands of similar delivery vehicles in their arsenals.

Condor Missile: Programa Cóndor - Wikipedia, la enciclopedia libre
Its development was controversial since its conversion into a military project, both due to its nature and to international pressures, mainly from the United States and the United Kingdom, who feared that a plan of such magnitude, with potential nuclear capabilities and unique in the subcontinent, could destabilize the region and start an arms race among South American countries, most of which were still under military dictatorships and with territorial disputes. The pressures reached their peak with the end of the Gulf War, where, when the Iraqi role in the project was discovered, President Carlos Menem ordered the cancellation of the project.

Argentina, despite its difficulties, has something that rivals only the U.S. on the continent, and that is that Argentina has a complete nuclear cycle. We have the uranium, we process it, and to date we have the capacity to create and sell nuclear reactors.

And one of the most important projects is CAREM: Reactor argentino CAREM

CAREM is the first nuclear power reactor entirely designed and built in Argentina, which reaffirms with this new milestone its capacity for the development and commissioning of nuclear power plants, becoming one of the world leaders in the low and medium power modular reactor (SMR) segment.

This type of reactor has a great potential for supplying electricity to areas far from large urban centers or industrial and manufacturing centers with high energy consumption (including the capacity to feed seawater desalination plants).

The prototype is being built in Lima, province of Buenos Aires. The building that will contain it covers an area of 18,500 m2, of which around 14,000 m2 correspond to the so-called 'nuclear module', the sector that includes the reactor containment, the control room and all the plant's safety and operating systems. The civil work began on February 8, 2014, since when CAREM has become the first SMR in the world to be officially under construction.

This first version of the CAREM-type reactors will be capable of generating 32 megawatts of electricity, and stands out for a rigorous safety standard applied from design, obtained through highly engineered solutions that simplify its construction, operation and maintenance. It is expected that around 70% of its supplies, components and related services will be provided by Argentine companies certified under the strict international quality standards, supervised by the CNEA.

In parallel to the development of the prototype, the CNEA is advancing in the conceptual design of what will be the commercial module of CAREM, which will have a higher power (between 100 and 120 MWe), and would be the basis of a multi-reactor power plant that will allow reaching very competitive costs for the international market.

This video is from 3 Months ago:

CNEA is a government agency. INVAP is a state-owned company founded in 1976.

If anyone asked where the money spent by the state goes, there are these two entities.

More news...

Milei negotiates sale of ARSAT satellite company to Mexican Slim for $930 million.

ARSAT is a company that does not make losses, is efficient and managed to put satellites into orbit, apart from managing the largest fiber optic backbone network in the region. Under no circumstances should this company be transferred to foreigners, it is a matter of National Security.

Back
Top Bottom