Liposomal EDTA

nicklebleu

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
After reading "Detox with Oral Chelation" by Gordon Garry and being in the process of going through "Bypassing Bypass Surgery: Chelation Therapy: A Non-surgical Treatment for Reversing Atherosclerosis" by Elmer M Cranton I have come to the conclusion that I need to revise my stance on EDTA chelation therapy.

Previously (as discussed in the Hemochromatosis thread) I believed that EDTA therapy might be an option for those that cannot decant blood to lower their iron levels (e.g. due to anaemia), but that for the majority of us decanting would be the way to go. However I believe now the two things (EDTA and iron) to be somewhat distinct elements.

EDTA seems to have a plethora of benefits that may or may not have to do with iron directly. The way EDTA shows benefits has not been fully elucidated, the main theory being en vogue at the moment is "free radical scavenging".

The major effects of EDTA on the body are:
- of course chelating metals ... with the highest affinity to lead, mercury, cadmium and iron. Calcium and magnesium seem to be quite low in this order, and whenever a EDTA molecule loaded with Ca or Mg encounters another of the above it will switch over to it (which is good).
- EDTA seems to have a stimulating effect on mitochondria
- EDTA controls free radical damage, which causes lipid peroxidation, which again causes damage to fatty membranes. Lipid peroxidation is greatly speeded by the presence of abnormally located metal ions such as excess iron.
- Abnormally high concentrations of essential nutritional trace elements in blood-deprived tissues can also act as metabolic poisons. EDTA removes and redistributes these elements.
- EDTA enhances the integrity of cell membranes by controlling oxidative damage.
- EDTA helps reestablish prostaglandin hormone balance, which in turn reduces arterial spasms, blood clots, plaque formation, and arthritis.
- EDTA protects the integrity of platelets.
- EDTA normalizes calcium metabolism. One fear is that EDTA may deplete the body of much needed calcium in the bones. Studies have shown that EDTA may actually enhance bone growth and is thus a therapy against osteoporosis.
- EDTA increases tissue flexibility by uncoupling age-related cross-linkages.
- EDTA encourages overall metabolic efficiency to tissues without the need for enhanced blood flow to these. This is probably one of the reasons why sufferers of ischemic disease show marked improvement, without the narrowing having changed at all.

So I think now that EDTA surely is a beneficial addition to our health and that it should be added to decanting blood (not as a either/ or).

The next question is how and how much ...
There are two ways of doing a EDTA chelation therapy: intravenous and oral.
Intravenous therapy is in my opinion reserved for symptomatic cases that need to get somewhere fast. It takes around 3-4 hours per course and needs to be done in a practice of some kind. Oral therapy is more of a long-term project, but is safe and doesn't require the services of a doctor. EDTA is cheap and can be ordered online.

As to oral formulations, to me it seems that liposomal EDTA is the way to go ... now how to manufacture it?
The dissolution of EDTA is apparently not that easy. Here is the recipe that I have found on the net:
1. Add 18.6 g of EDTA to 80ml of distilled water, or multiples of it (gives a 0.5 M solution)
2. Put everything on a magnetic stirrer (or similar contraption) and add NaOH pellets to bring the pH up to 8.0. You will need around 2.2 g. EDTA doesn't dissolve in solutions with different pH, so slowly add NaOH and let the EDTA dissolve. CAUTION: NAOH is very caustic, be careful handling it. Never put water into NaOH, always the other way round.
3. If the EDTA doesn't dissolve, make sure that your pH is around 8.0. You may also have to add a bit of heat to facilitate dissolution.

Next, on to the liposomal formulation:
The liposomal formulation commercially available on the net seem to have quite low concentrations of EDTA per unit of volume. One of the formulations available here gives a concentration of 1.5g of EDTA and 4g of lecithin per 10ml. So that is the concentration that I will attempt to fabricate. In addition to that I will add PEG-4000 to improve immunologic stability of the nanoparticles. One paper that I read quotes 6 mol% of PEG. Haven't really worked out yet how much that is - maybe if anyone has a bright idea, I would be very grateful. Otherwise I will just use a random amount. Maybe 5% of the weight of the lecithin, giving me coverage of 5% of the surface - I know this is a bit of a long shot ....

Next is the question of how much:
Normal EDTA is very poorly absorbed so it needs to be taken twice daily. It remains in the body only for a very short time (1 hour) before being excreted in the urine. EDTA undergoes no modification in the body whatsoever.
Liposomal formulations are almost as efficient as the intravenous solution. The dosage quoted on different websites is 1 - 1.5g of EDTA 2 - 3 times per week. It should not be forgotten to add a mineral supplement to the regime (magnesium probably being the most important, as well as potassium) and this is best not taken together as there is a concern that EDTA will mop up the valuable minerals that you ingest together with it. Some doctors say that this doesn't happen, because the affinity of the "good" metals is different to the "toxic" metals.

Disclaimer: I haven't done the above process myself yet, as I am still waiting for my NaOH pellets to arrive. I hope that this is somewhat helpful to others to get started. Of course this seems to be a fairly involved process, so maybe buying the liposomal EDTA off the shelf may be more appealing to others. Do your own research and verify all dosage and advice given above.

I will report back when I have done my first batch!

Bottom line for me is that I think with all the heavy metal toxicity so widespread around our planet that EDTa is beneficial to just about anyone around!

Hi, The EDTA-CaNa2 has solubility of 800 g/l or 0,8 g /mL. http://www.iro-taihe.com/chelating-agent/01-edta-cana2.html

If you part of EDTA alone you will need use a lot of NaOH to achieve that pH 8, but if you use the salt form with a few of sodium bicarbonate you will achieve that pH without the risks of use NaOH which is very dangerous, specially for the eyes. You will need to work always with security glasses.

Just to put a note of caution here ...

I read on the net somewhere (can't find the exact quote anymore, but seem to remember that it was Dr. Cranton who said that) that liposomal EDTA is toxic, because it has to remain extracellularly and with the liposomal formulation may get inside the cell. He didn't give any reason why this should be so, but he is one of the most experienced doctors about EDTA chelation.

So before embarking onto encapsulating EDTA into liposomes (or ingesting commercially produced ones) please do your own research to decide if this is a good idea or not (I won't be doing liposomal EDTA anytime soon!).

Looks like that there is some disagreement with what Cranton has said about oral EDTA
http://www.oralchelation.com/LifeGlowBasic/technical/p52.htm

I'm going to try and track down these two articles from Cranton if I can. One is referenced at the above link.

http://drcranton.com/cvcranton.htm
20.Cranton EM. Guest Editorial: What about oral chelation? Journal of Advancement in Medicine 1999; 12(4):237-239.

22.Cranton EM. Questioning Oral EDTA Chelation (letter to the Editor). Clinical Practice of Alternative Medicine. 2000;1(4):261-264.

I couldn't really find any mention yet on the web about liposomal EDTA toxicity.

How about the EDTA suppositories, I heard from someone who went to Mexico to get IV EDTA, and there they said to her that the suppositories have the same effect as the IV EDTA. She was given several suppositories.

Ytain

Found a copy of Dr. Cranton's 'What about oral chelation?' with some commentary on the disagreement between Cranton and Gordon.

http://www.chelationtherapyonline.com/articles/p55.htm

Thanks for the link, Bear.

I personally don't think that oral chelation per se is ineffective - just takes more time, but if time is not of the essence, it probably is the way to go (I still would like to try iv EDTA, but have been unable to find the necessary drugs or people who do it).

Not so sure about rectal EDTA ...

ytain said:
How about the EDTA suppositories, I heard from someone who went to Mexico to get IV EDTA, and there they said to her that the suppositories have the same effect as the IV EDTA. She was given several suppositories.

Ytain

From the same book mentioned by nickleblue, an interesting point regarding suppositories:

Some supplement companies have recently been marketing EDTA rectal suppositories, claiming that the EDTA in them is a hundred percent absorbed, eliminating the need of I.V. chelation.

According to Dr. Gordon, this can't be true because rectal and intestinal absorption are similar, and neither comes close to the hundred percent absorption obtainable through the I.V. route. Advertising EDTA rectal suppositories in this manner is a disservice to people, Dr. Gordon says, because it fools them into thinking that they're getting the benefits of an I.V. chelation when they're not.

Also, EDTA rectal suppositories don't prevent blood clots and colon cancer like the oral form does, Dr. Gordon says, because they aren't continuously bathing the instestinal tract with EDTA.

Navigator said:
ytain said:

Ytain

From the same book mentioned by nickleblue, an interesting point regarding suppositories:

Some supplement companies have recently been marketing EDTA rectal suppositories, claiming that the EDTA in them is a hundred percent absorbed, eliminating the need of I.V. chelation.

According to Dr. Gordon, this can't be true because rectal and intestinal absorption are similar, and neither comes close to the hundred percent absorption obtainable through the I.V. route. Advertising EDTA rectal suppositories in this manner is a disservice to people, Dr. Gordon says, because it fools them into thinking that they're getting the benefits of an I.V. chelation when they're not.

Also, EDTA rectal suppositories don't prevent blood clots and colon cancer like the oral form does, Dr. Gordon says, because they aren't continuously bathing the instestinal tract with EDTA.

Thank you for the information Navigator.

Ytain

I found this report, that is a study of the studies that are available surrounding EDTA and heart disease. Kind of a mixed bag as you would suspect. But there were some surprising results.

Here is an interesting excerpt from one of the studies,

Six studies reported qualitative results in patients with PAD through retrospective case series analysis or prospective before/after studies of patients receiving repeated EDTA infusions (Table 3).4, 5, 13, 19, 37, 42 A qualitative study of patients with diabetes and PAD or retinopathy reported ulcer healing, vision improvement, and reductions in insulin dependence in patients.5 A qualitative study conducted in patients with intermittent claudication indicated that patients had relief from rest pain and improved pain‐free walking distance.37 Two qualitative retrospective case series studies in patients with moderate to severe PAD (diabetes prevalence, 75%4 and 100%13) reported that repeated EDTA reversed the natural cause of PAD in patients with end‐stage occlusive PAD through complete healing of ulcers and gangrene, avoiding limb amputation in most cases.4, 13 A double‐blind prospective case series study indicated that patients with PAD treated with EDTA had significantly improved ABI and walking distance compared with placebo, resulting in the authors to switch the placebo group to receive treatment infusions following half of the infusion regimen.19 A retrospective analysis in a single practitioner chelation practice in Brazil, of patients with chronic vascular and nonspecific “degenerative diseases,” such as cardiac disease, PAD, and other geriatric vascular diseases, treated with EDTA indicated that 91% of patients with PAD had a “marked improvement” (patient could walk 5× distance at baseline with no intermittent claudication, and had normal clinical appearance of lower extremities and normal Doppler ultrasound).42 A descriptive meta‐analysis of ABI outcomes in active treatment arm across 4 studies with comparable data6, 26, 27, 28 showed a mean difference of 0.08 (95% CI, 0.06–0.09) of the ABI at follow‐up compared with baseline (Figure 2).

Back
Top Bottom