Lucifer's Hammer by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle

knowledge_of_self

The Living Force
I recently finished a book called Lucifer’s Hammer by y Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle which was first published in 1977.

The story is about Earth being hit by a massive comet which breaks in the atmosphere and hits all over the earth destroying many countries, including most of USA. A large one hits the Gulf of Mexico, creating deadly earthquakes and giant tsunamis that wipe out most of California.

The Comet is discovered by an armature astronomer, Tim Hamner. His comet gains the name, “the Hammer” by the media, as the hype about “Hammer fall” spreads vastly throughout California and around the world. The story revolves around Tim Hamner and a big cast of characters, who all deal with their own struggles before and after the comet hits.

Along the cast of characters is Senator Arthur Jellison, who owns a ranch in the San Joaquin Valley. This Valley, and the Ranch become known as the “Stronghold” and the last remaining civilization after the comet completely wipes out California. Also, Reverend Henry Armitage, who becomes the leader of a Cannibal Army, claiming to be “Angels of God.” Wanting to destroy what is left of civilization that “God wanted destroyed with his Hammer.”

The book mostly revolves around the physical aspect of a comet collision with earth. The after effects of it, which can be a little bit heavy at times.

Throughout the book, the authors begin each chapter with a small quote from different places about comets and the fall of civilization. Here are some of my favorites:

The Bay-trees in our country are all wither’d
And meteors fright the fixed stars of heaven;
The pale-faced moon looks bloody on the earth
And lean-look’d prophets whisper fearful change.
These sings forerun the death or fall of kings.
-William Shakespeare, Richard II-

By the 1970’s, philosophers and scientists were aware of many allegations that stones had fallen from the sky, but the most eminent scientists were skeptical. The first great advance came in 1974, when a German lawyer, E.F.F. Chlandi, published a study of some alleged meteorites, one of which had been found after a fireball had been sighted. Chlandi accepted the evidence that these meteorites had fallen from the sky and correctly inferred that they were extraterrestrial objects that were heated from falling through the earth’s atmosphere. Chlandi even postulated that they might be fragments of a broken planet—an idea that set the stage for early theories about asteroids, the first of which was discovered seven years later. Chlandi’s ideas were widely rejected, not because they were ill conceived but because his contemporaries simply were loath to accept the idea that extraterrestrial stones could fall from the sky.
-William K Hartman, Moons and planets an Introduction to Planetary Science.-

When the Sun shall be folded up and when the stars shall fall,
And when the wild beasts shall be gathered together…
And when the leaves of the Book shall be unrolled
And when Hell shall be made to blaze and Paradise brought near,
Every soul shall know what it hath produced.
And by the Night when it cometh darkening on,
And by the Dawn when it brighteneth…
WHITHER THEN ARE YE GOING?
-The Holy Koran-

My take on the book is that, I did really enjoy the book. It was an interesting read, especially taking in the time it was written in (1977) and the references to communism and black rights, etc.

During and after reading it I’m left feeling and thinking a few things. One, that I should cherish the time that is left before our “Hammer fall” comes around. And not take even the littlest thing for granted, like food, clean water, medicine, electricity and basically our physical civilization which is at such a cushy state right now.

And two, that I really want to focus on my spiritual growth. So that when our “Hammer fall” comes around, maybe I won’t experience it in a physical sense, by facing the “wave” sort to speak. Doing this requires much more reading, beginning doing the breathing exercises, getting rid of psychopathy/narcissism within myself, and networking. Which leads me wanting to surround myself with like-minded individuals who are able to handle the tough times we are going to face, without losing it.

I recommend the book for people who want a glance at what the physical world may be like after a comet hits.

Back
Top Bottom