Lyracyst: A command-line word search tool

Over the past few months my project of passion has been a tool I call Lyracyst. It is written in the Ruby programming language and if you can get a working Ruby platform running you can give it a try. Though it was designed with POSIX (Linux/Mac OSX/Unix-like) operating systems in mind, it at least partially works on Windows. Also, if you have a PC running Windows and your system is 3 to 5 years old or newer then you could run a free Linux installation within Windows with virtualization software like VirtualBox (which I use everyday to run Linux Mint side-by-side with Windows 8). There's lots of good how-tos on these subjects out there but I'll gladly help if you have any questions on the technical stuff.

Lyracyst's power comes from its flexible command-line interface and its ability to use various data APIs and webscraping to deliver information about words and phrases to command terminal output. It reads and writes data in the JSON and XML text-based serialization formats. These standardized formats have widespread support and uses.

OK, that's enough techno-babble, now for what Lyracyst can do with language. From the README file:

It talks to Wordnik, Rhymebrain, Urban Dictionary, Wordsmith, and Onelook.com. It can fetch 16 kinds of related words, 27 parts of speech definitions, anagrams, ARPABET pronunciations, bi-gram phrases, etymologies, example uses, hyphenation, IPA pronunciations, multiple dictionaries, offensive word flags, portmanteaus, rhymes, slang, and syllable stress and count.

As a simple example, here's definitions and related words for "ubiquitous":
lyracyst wn def ubiquitous
[Definition]|adjective|Being or seeming to be everywhere at the same time; omnipresent: "plodded through the shadows fruitlessly like an ubiquitous spook” ( Joseph Heller). |
[Definition]|adjective|Being everywhere at once: omnipresent.|
[Definition]|adjective|Seeming to appear everywhere at the same time.|
[Definition]|adjective|Existing or being everywhere, or in all places, at the same time; omnipresent.|
[Definition]||Being or existing everywhere; actually or apparently omnipresent: often used in an exaggerated or humorous sense.|
lyracyst wn rel ubiquitous
[Related words]|equivalent|present
[Related words]|etymologically-related-term|ubiquity|ubiquarian|ubiquitin
[Related words]|form|ubiquitously
[Related words]|synonym|omnipresent
[Related words]|same-context|invisible|mobile|ever-present|omnipresent|invulnerable|pervasive|stationary|new|nearby|efficient

As you can hopefully see, both native and non-native English speakers, as well as translators could find this useful. I welcome feedback and I sincerely hope others can get as much practical (and fun) value out of it as I do. :D

For more information, please see the following links.
_http://github.com/weirdpercent/lyracyst
_http://github.com/weirdpercent/lyracyst/wiki

Hey Endescent! This looks like a great project! Have you been working on it recently? I wish I knew enough Ruby to contribute. Let me know if you'd like any help!

endescent said:
Over the past few months my project of passion has been a tool I call Lyracyst. It is written in the Ruby programming language and if you can get a working Ruby platform running you can give it a try. Though it was designed with POSIX (Linux/Mac OSX/Unix-like) operating systems in mind, it at least partially works on Windows. Also, if you have a PC running Windows and your system is 3 to 5 years old or newer then you could run a free Linux installation within Windows with virtualization software like VirtualBox (which I use everyday to run Linux Mint side-by-side with Windows 8). There's lots of good how-tos on these subjects out there but I'll gladly help if you have any questions on the technical stuff.

Maybe I can get your project in a docker container to simplify setting up Virtualbox? Vagrant is another option. Either way, I'm going to try to test this out on Windows 8 and see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom