Making Fats spreadable

Galaxia2002

Dagobah Resident
Finally! :D after reading something here and there I found a way to do ghee spreadable again, like margarine. It also works for lard, coconut oil, olive, etc. Even you can also make mayo without eggs with all the advantages that implies.

You can double or triple the recipe to make more:

Spreadable Ghee (Margarine/butter)
(For Solid Fats)

1/3 cup of water
1/3 cup of melted fat slightly warm
1 teaspoon of non flavored powder gelatin
3/4 teaspoon of sea salt.
2 teaspoon non-GMO liquid lecithin

Put the gelatin in the the water, let it hydrate 2 minutes and warm in the microwave (25 seconds), agitate until dissolves. Let it cool at room temperature. In the gelatin solution spout the lecithin and agitate with a spoon, It won't dissolve but it will get hydrated, let it rest 3 - 5 minutes. Next you will need an immersion blender. Blend the gelatin/lecithin solution until homogenize. Add the salt and start blend while you add the liquid fat bit by bit. You will see a watery mix but don't worry. Put in a container and let it in the refrigerator until it gets solid.

Texture 2: good for olive mayo. I have not tested this for the solid fats nor used gelatin.

The same prior recipe but use 1/2 teaspoon of xanthan gum instead gelatin.

Hydrate the lecithin in the water. Mix with the blender. Add the salt and the gum then add the fat. The mayo will forms immmediately!

My next pass is try to do a spreadable lard but seasoned in a way that I don't feel the piggy flavor (I really don't like it) to use in meats, vegetables, etc. and get the mayo without use any gum (it is a soluble fiber and some xanthan gums are derived from corn/wheat but there are other for celiacs specially, made from bacterial fermentation). Maybe using the gelatin let it cool in the fridge and then mixing??

I noted that recipe one can be the base to do Ice cream. I think the proportion water/fat should be 70/30 and beat now and then while it cools in the freezer.

Back
Top Bottom