Meaning Is Healthier Than Happiness

Eongar

Dagobah Resident
Recently there has been a study that has demonstrated biologically that finding and feeling of happiness is not good for health. Here's links to the news and study:

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2013/08/meaning-is-healthier-than-happiness/278250/

http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2013/07/25/1305419110.full.pdf+html

Thinking about the superficiality and hedonism culture of our civilization, I remembered a quote from Lobaczewski about hedonism that gives more samples how damaging this search:

From time immemorial, then, man has dreamed of a life in which the measured effort of mind and muscle would be punctuated
by well-deserved rest. He would like to learn nature’s laws so as to dominate her and take advantage of her gifts. Man enlisted the natural power of animals in order to make his dreams come true, and when this did not meet his needs, he turned to his own kind for this purpose, in part depriving other humans of their humanity simply because he was more powerful.

Dreams of a happy and peaceful life thus gave rise to force over others, a force which depraves the mind of its user. That is why man’s dreams of happiness have not come true throughout history. This hedonistic view of “happiness” contains the seeds of misery and feed the eternal cycle whereby good times give birth to bad times, which in turn cause the suffering and mental effort which produce experience, good sense, moderation, and a certain amount of psychological knowledge, all virtues which serve to rebuild more felicitous conditions of existence.

During good times, people progressively lose sight of the need for profound reflection, introspection, knowledge of others, and an understanding of life’s complicated laws. Is it worth pondering the properties of human nature and man’s flawed personality, whether one’s own or someone else’s? Can we understand the creative meaning of suffering we have not undergone ourselves, instead of taking the easy way out and blaming the victim? Any excess mental effort seems like pointless labor if life’s joys appear to be available for the taking. A clever, liberal, and merry individual is a good sport; a more farsighted person predicting dire results becomes a wet-blanket killjoy.

Perception of the truth about the real environment, especially an understanding of the human personality and its values, ceases to be a virtue during the so-called “happy” times; thoughtful doubters are decried as meddlers who cannot leave well enough alone. This, in turn, leads to an impoverishment of psychological knowledge, the capacity of differentiating the properties of human nature and personality, and the ability to
mold minds creatively. The cult of power thus supplants those mental values so essential for maintaining law and order by peaceful means. A nation’s enrichment or involution regarding its psychological world view could be considered an indicator of whether its future will be good or bad.

During “good” times, the search for truth becomes uncomfortable because it reveals inconvenient facts. It is better to think about easier and more pleasant things. Unconscious elimination of data which are, or appear to be, inexpedient gradually turns into habit, and then becomes a custom accepted by society at large. The problem is that any thought process based on such truncated information cannot possibly give rise
to correct conclusions; it further leads to subconscious substitution of inconvenient premises by more convenient ones, thereby approaching the boundaries of psychopathology.

Such contented periods for one group of people - often rooted in some injustice to other people or nations - start to strangle the capacity for individual and societal consciousness; subconscious factors take over a decisive role in life. Such a society, already infected by the hysteroidal23 state, considers any perception of uncomfortable truth to be a sign of “illbreeding”. J. G. Herder’s24 iceberg is drowned in a sea of falsified unconsciousness; only the tip of the iceberg is visible above the waves of life. Catastrophe waits in the wings. In such
times, the capacity for logical and disciplined thought, born of necessity during difficult times, begins to fade. When communities
lose the capacity for psychological reason and moral criticism, the processes of the generation of evil are intensified
at every social scale, whether individual or macrosocial, until everything reverts to “bad” times.

We already know that every society contains a certain percentage of people carrying psychological deviations caused by various inherited or acquired factors which produce anomalies in perception, thought, and character. Many such people attempt to impart meaning to their deviant lives by means of social hyperactivity. They create their own myths and ideologies of overcompensation and have the tendency to egotistically
insinuate to others that their own deviant perceptions and the resulting goals and ideas are superior.

When a few generations’ worth of “good-time” insouciance results in societal deficit regarding psychological skill and moral criticism, this paves the way for pathological plotters, snake-charmers, and even more primitive impostors to act and merge into the processes of the origination of evil. They are essential factors in its synthesis. In the next chapter I shall attempt to persuade my readers that the participation of pathological
factors, so underrated by the social sciences, is a common phenomenon in the processes of the origin of evil.

Those times which many people later recall as the “good old days” thus provide fertile soil for future tragedy because of the progressive devolution of moral, intellectual, and personality values which give rise to Rasputin-like eras. The above is a sketch of the causative understanding of reality which in no way contradicts a teleological perception of the sense of causality. Bad times are not merely the result of
hedonistic regression to the past; they have a historical purpose to fulfill.

Suffering, effort, and mental activity during times of imminent bitterness lead to a progressive, generally heightened, regeneration of lost values, which results in human progress. [emphasis added]

Wow. Good find Alvero. That definitely seems to make a lot sense, sometimes when I hear someone tell me that it is better to be positive about a situation I often feel that what they are really saying is to ignore select partitions of information gleaned from a situation to further construct a false sense of "positive" reality.

Which might not coincide with objective reality whatsoever. And what meaning could a false sense of reality/security possibly hold?

I had these thoughts for a long time before discovering this place and Lobaczewski, so when I read PP it was amazing. It was first triggered when I was reading fantasy books like Lord of the Rings or the wheel of time, how the lives of the characters were so harsh, yet they had so much meaning. Seeing modern life in comparison, with all the easy complacency, ego, and lack of sincerity, just made it clear how far we've wandered from our humanity in modern times.

trendsetter37 said:
Wow. Good find Alvero. That definitely seems to make a lot sense, sometimes when I hear someone tell me that it is better to be positive about a situation I often feel that what they are really saying is to ignore select partitions of information gleaned from a situation to further construct a false sense of "positive" reality.

Which might not coincide with objective reality whatsoever. And what meaning could a false sense of reality/security possibly hold?

Exactly

I was under the impression this concept of happiness vs. meaning was discussed in the forum. In any case it reminds me of this short video: _https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeBXBVfnwC8 by John F. Schumaker, author of "The Corruption of Reality" and "The Age of Insanity: Modernity and Mental Health".

Thanks for sharing this Álvaro. I've had similar thoughts myself.

When things are going well, it's easy to trick oneself to see only the positive & dismiss objectivity.

mkrnhr said:
I was under the impression this concept of happiness vs. meaning was discussed in the forum. In any case it reminds me of this short video: _https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeBXBVfnwC8 by John F. Schumaker, author of "The Corruption of Reality" and "The Age of Insanity: Modernity and Mental Health".

Have come across this book a few times, his works look very interesting.

Back
Top Bottom