medecins sans frontieres

Jeremy F Kreuz

Dagobah Resident
Since more than a decade I work as a volunteer for the humanitarian organization Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF). Since I started reading SOTT, this Forum and several books recommended, I felt a growing worry that something was very wrong with MSF. While reading ‘ponerology’ I had increasing moments where I felt that what was written applied directly to the way some people in MSF work, think, act. I suddenly understood several aspects of the organization that up till then I could not explain. The question I had to ask was: were the principles and manifests of the organization (in which I believed so strongly) replaced by empty rethoric and nothing but a smokescreen where psychopaths could hide behind? Or was it worse, and was the whole idea behind humanitarian aid wrong from the beginning?

Anart: Re: Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs, a primative model fit for psychopaths? ‘Ultimately, if a psychological theory is developed by someone who is pathological, how could the theory be anything but? It might hit a true note here or there, especially when heard through the filter of critical correction, but, ultimately it will always be tainted by the pathological world view. (Freud would be another example...)’

from From the MSF USA website
“Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is a private international association. The association is made up mainly of doctors and health sector workers and is also open to all other professions which might help in achieving its aims. All of its members agree to honor the following principles:
Médecins Sans Frontières provides assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters and to victims of armed conflict. They do so irrespective of race, religion, creed or political convictions.
Médecins Sans Frontières observes neutrality and impartiality in the name of universal medical ethics and the right to humanitarian assistance and claims full and unhindered freedom in the exercise of its functions.
Members undertake to respect their professional code of ethics and to maintain complete independence from all political, economic, or religious powers.
As volunteers, members understand the risks and dangers of the missions they carry out and make no claim for themselves or their assigns for any form of compensation other than that which the association might be able to afford them.

This still sounds ok to me: volunteers that go help people in distress and this in an independent, impartial and neutral way. Am I wrong to think that this is STO? But the fact MSF ‘claims full and unhindered freedom in the exercise of its functions’ is worrisome. Is this a case where ‘It might hit a true note here or there, especially when heard through the filter of critical correction, but, ultimately it will always be tainted by the pathological world view’? Is the ‘Claim’ where the problem arises?

As readers might know one of the founding fathers of MSF is Bernard Kouchner, now France’s Foreign Minister.

from Tenten, Quoting Philip Hamond article , in: Is THIS the most dangerous man in Europe?

On his return to France, Kouchner established the Committee Against Genocide in Biafra, out of which emerged a new sort of relief agency, Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF). Founded in 1971, MSF would be everything the Red Cross was not: no longer would humanitarian action be held back by respect for national sovereignty; no more would aid workers be constrained to silence in the face of atrocity. The story of Biafra, as Kouchner tells it, is an epic in which he plays the lead role. The truth is different.

What makes Kouchner dangerous is his promotion of le droit d’ingérence, the ‘right to intervene’. This idea – that it is legitimate to interfere in the internal affairs of sovereign states – became popular with Western governments in the 1990s. At the turn of the decade, Kouchner successfully used his office as minister for humanitarian action under President François Mitterrand to promote the doctrine, pushing for it to be codified in successive United Nations resolutions and for it to be enacted by the Western military in Iraqi Kurdistan and Somalia. By the end of the 1990s NATO was fully committed to the idea, adopting it as justification for the 1999 Kosovo bombing, and it has been wheeled out since to make ‘humanitarian’ arguments in favour of war-on-terror interventions in Afghanistan and Iraq. No doubt Kouchner will seek to use his new position to pursue it further.

It is true that Kouchner’s invasive humanitarianism claims to be internationalist, but the parallel is misleading. In place of solidarity among equals, Kouchner’s approach offers only pity for the suffering of victims. And what is envisaged for these child-like victims is not freedom and self-determination but the suffocating ‘protection’ of the ‘international community’.

Kouchner left MSF in 1979 to continue to create another humanitarian organization MDM (medecins du monde). The reason he left is because of fundamental differences on how to proceed with the organization, osit. Was this the key moment in MSFs history where hey took action in time to avoid ponorization? After all, looking at the career of mr Kouchner, this was probably the person that could have ponerized the whole organization. And MSF is still trying very hard to distance itself from mr Kouchner.

from Mr premise in : Is THIS the most dangerous man in Europe?
‘What drives me nuts about explanations of Kouchner like the one quoted above is that they ignore the obvious: he's a Zionist.’

So did MSF succeed in getting rid of the bad apple in time? If they got rid of the Zionists in time, they should/could/can be outspoken about Zionisme, and the horrible effects is has on ‘victims of natural or man-made disasters and to victims of armed conflict.’ Equally they should ‘claim full and unhindered freedom in the exercise of its functions’, eg the Gaza Strip last winter.

From the MSF USA website:
MSF expressed strong criticism of the Israeli army’s assault on Gaza and of the international community for standing by while the incursion continued for 22 days. “How far can the Israeli army go before the international community mobilizes to stop it?” asked Cécile Barbou during a press conference on January 16. “It’s hell here. Even people carrying white flags are being shot at. It’s high time for the international community to organize, position itself, make decisions, and take the measures required to stop this conflict. This passive stance is unbearable, intolerable! This has got to stop. We are outraged.”

The article on the website is though accompanied with a ‘editors note’:

To our Supporters: It has been brought to our attention that a number of our supporters were upset by the article, "Gaza: A Devastating Disregard for Civilians," on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict published in the spring 2009 edition of the Alert newsletter. At Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF), we pride ourselves on transparency and accountability to our donors and to an open and constructive dialogue with those who believe in supporting the principles of providing assistance to victims of violence and disease regardless of political, religious, or economic affiliations. Upon further reflection, we recognize the legitimacy of the concerns expressed that the Alert article was too one-sided in its presentation of the Gaza conflict. The article, as it was written, did not sufficiently contextualize the Israeli incursion into Gaza as a response to the longstanding and indiscriminate rocket attacks being launched by Hamas from the Strip into Israel. In no way was the omission of the broader context intended to diminish the suffering caused by these attacks on Israel. Human suffering is deplorable in all its magnitudes. As MSF, we pride ourselves on a constant reflection of our medical humanitarian action and speaking out. This is a daily engagement playing out in our headquarters and among our field teams around the world. As our supporters, you are a vital part of this reflection. Just as MSF is an association composed of medical and non-medical field staff from across the globe, bound by independent, impartial, and neutral medical action, we are a movement supported by millions of individuals like you. We thank you for the vitality of your engagement in our collective endeavors, and in difficult economic times need your continued support more than ever. Please continue to challenge us, in all aspects of our work, in the days ahead.

Looks indeed that ‘supporters’ brought something to the attention. Who are these supporters? The public that believes in the message and donates money so that MSF can be independent? Or was it the advisory board of MSF USA? Its members are?

Richard Rockefeller, MD, Chairman of the Board . Meena Ahamed, Robert Arnow, Don Berwick, MD, PPH, Institute for Healthcare Improvement , Elizabeth Beshel, Goldman Sachs , Robert Bookman, Creative Artists Agency , Kathleen Chalfant , Marek Fludzinski, PhD, Thales Fund Management, LLC, Daniel Goldring, Charles A. HirschlerGary A Isaac, Esq.Mayer, Brown, Rowe & Maw LLP , Susan Liautaud , Laurie MacDonald Parkes MacDonald Productions, Garrick Utley, Neil D.Levin Graduate School, SUNY , Marsha Garces Williams Blue Wolf Productions, Robert van Zwieten Asian Development Bank

As my internet connection here somewhere in Africa is very slow and unreliable I did only a few searches. But these should allow to get an idea of who could have been these objecting supporters.
From Wikipedia:

The Rockefeller Brothers Fund (RBF), (Philanthropy for an Interdependent World), is an international philanthropic organization created and run by members of the Rockefeller family. It was set up in New York City in 1940 as the primary philanthropic vehicle of the five famous Rockefeller brothers: John D. Rockefeller 3rd, Nelson, Laurance, Winthrop and David, and is distinct from the Rockefeller Foundation, which is more independent from family control. Its headquarters are located on the 37th Floor, at 437 Madison Ave, New York, which is also the location of the family's major non-profit philanthropic organization, Rockefeller Philanthropy Advisors, as well as the family's fourth-generation philanthropic institution, the Rockefeller Family Fund. The current president of the Fund is Stephen B. Heintz and its chairman is Richard Rockefeller, the fifth child of David Rockefeller.

From website: Israeli Arab Funding , Robert Arnow Letter to the Editor, October 20, 2006.

I was deeply disturbed by the front-page article, "Center-Right Groups Outraged at Post-War Money to Arabs" (Oct. 13) since I strongly support United Jewish Communities’ emergency assistance going to all Israelis affected by the recent war.

My personal and philanthropic involvement with Israel is long and deep. Like most Jews, I am proud that the State of Israel has been unambiguously committed since its founding to "full and equal rights" for its Arabs citizens, as stated in its Declaration of Independence, which is one reason why most Americans, both Christians and Jews, strongly support Israel. As Chaim Weizmann, Israel’s first president, put it in his autobiography, "I am certain that the world will judge the Jewish State by what it will do with the Arabs, just as the Jewish people at large will be judged by what we do or fail to do in this State where we have been given such a wonderful opportunity…"

The opposition to equitable aid ignores the fact that Katyusha rockets didn’t discriminate between Arabs and Jews; Hezbollah’s war was against all Israelis. As UJC President Howard Reiger was quoted as stating in the article, "about one-third to one-half of those killed [by Hezbollah rockets] were Israeli Arabs." In addition, many Druze and Bedouin citizens of Israel have helped defend Jews and the Jewish state by having served in the Israeli Defense Force, sometimes sacrificing their lives.

Unfortunately, for nearly 60 years, Israel’s Arab sector has been seriously neglected and under-funded, which has contributed to growing alienation from Israeli society among many Arab citizens.

For that reason, as The Jewish Week reported last spring, a group of mainstream Jewish organizations, led by the UJC and Joint Distribution Committee, has formed an interagency task force to examine ways to improve the lives of Israel’s Arab citizens, who receive a far smaller proportion of governmental aid than their Jewish neighbors. The Arab sector’s needs are legion: during the recent war, for example, many Arab villages in Israel’s north did not have bomb shelters, while almost all Jewish cities and towns did.

To help Arabs as well as Jews in Israel’s north is not only the fair, moral thing to do; it is also clearly in Israel’s national self-interest. As Moshe Arens, defense minister in three center-right governments, has stated, "It is high time for the government to address the problems of Israel’s Arab minority. This neglect can only lead to disaster if it is not stopped in time."

UJC has adopted a principled position, which I applaud. It should not allow others to undermine it by serving as a conduit for those who would discriminate against Israel’s minority of Arab citizens by making contributions marked "Jews only."

The writer, honorary chairman of The Jewish Week board of directors, is a former campaign chairman of UJA-Federation of New York and chairman emeritus of the board of governors of Ben Gurion University of the Negev.

Robert H. Arnow
New York, N.Y.

Victoaria B Bjorklund: Victoria Bjorklund is a Partner at Simpson Thacher & Bartlett LLP where she heads the Firm’s Exempt Organizations Group. She advises public charities, private foundations, boards, and donors.
In 2001, Ms. Bjorklund was appointed by the Secretary of the Treasury to serve as one of six exempt-organization members on the IRS’s Tax Exempt/Government Entities Advisory Committee and served as Chair for 2004-2005. In June 2005, she received the IRS Tax Exempt Division Commissioner’s Award for “ground-breaking service” to the Advisory Committee.
Ms. Bjorklund was named a David Rockefeller Fellow for 1997-1998 as a rising civic leader in New York City. From 1989 through 2001, she served as a director, secretary and still serves as pro bono legal counsel for Doctors Without Borders, the emergency medical relief organization that was awarded the 1999 Nobel Peace Prize. She is also a director of and pro bono counsel for the Robin Hood Foundation. She chaired the ABA Tax Section Committee on Exempt Organizations from 2001 through 2003 and now serves as Co-Chair of the Subcommittee on International Philanthropy. Ms. Bjorklund was honored in May 2002 as ABA Tax Section “Pro Bono Lawyer of the Year” in recognition of her 9/11 work. She also accepted the “Pro Bono Firm of the Year” award from the NYS Bar Association in recognition of the Firm’s 9/11 work. The Nonprofit Coordinating Committee of New York City and Lawyers Alliance of New York, Inc. honored Ms. Bjorklund for her outstanding volunteer service in responding to the legal needs arising from September 11. In 2003, she received the Commissioner’s Award, the highest honor the Commissioner of Internal Revenue can bestow, for her “timely, creative and nimble response to 9/11’s unprecedented legal challenges.” In 2005, she received the Assistant Commissioner’s Award for her contributions to the IRS Advisory Committee. In 2006, Ms. Bjorklund was appointed to the Board of Trustees, Institute for Advanced Study, Princeton.
Ms. Bjorklund speaks and writes frequently on exempt-organization subjects. Every year since 1989 she has spoken at the ALI-ABA Charitable Giving Program on “Choosing Among Private Foundations, Supporting Organizations, and Donor-Advised Funds,” a topic she also addresses at the annual Georgetown Conference. She is the co-author with Jim Fishman and Dan Kurtz of New York Nonprofit Law and Practice (LexisNexis, 2d Ed. 2007).
She earned her J.D. at Columbia University School of Law, a Ph.D. in Medieval Studies from Yale University, and a B.A. magna cum laude from Princeton University, where she graduated in three years and was elected to Phi Beta Kappa. Ms. Bjorklund is a former member of the Firm’s Pro Bono Committee and in 2006, she was appointed co-chair of the Diversity Committee.

New York Times: October 1, 2006 Libby Dale Paskin and Daniel Jacob Goldring were married last evening at the Angel Orensanz Foundation in New York. Rabbi Helene Ferris officiated. The bride and bridegroom met as freshman at the University of Pennsylvania, from which they both graduated cum laude.
Mrs. Goldring, 30, received a diploma last year from Christie’s Modern and Contemporary Art program in London, and was an intern this year at Alison Jacques Gallery in London. She is a daughter of Rhoda and Joel Paskin of Philadelphia. Her father is a certified public accountant and an owner of Ehrlich & Paskin, an accounting firm in Huntington Valley, Pa. Her mother is a substitute art teacher for the Philadelphia School District.
Mr. Goldring, also 30, is a partner in Perry Capital, a New York-based hedge fund, for which he runs the London office. He is the son of Katherine and Harlan Goldring of New York. His mother, who is retired, was the director of marketing and membership for the New York Academy of Sciences. His father, also retired, was an actuary with New York Life Insurance Company.

It Seems thus that MSF has not gotten rid of the Zionist influences and that even when then can be outspoken and claim access to many conflicts (like Darfur), for certain zones they are not allowed to do so. An organization with at the end of line such personalities, can it be other then ponerized? I don’t think so. And it looks like the idea was skewed from the start.

This leaves me in a dilemma. As I write I still work for MSF and I can see a lot of decent human beings working for them being drained from energy ‘for the good cause’. I can see those people struggling with the same things I struggled with before I read SOTT and Ponerology. After the shock, and this one is still not over, realizing I was fooled for so many years, the next question comes up: do I leave this organization or do I stay and help these people that I can see struggling and nose diving? Maybe it is a exaggerated comparison but sometimes I feel like I am working for a fascist organization. And this feeling only gets worse when I realize how far the ponerization has affected myself. How do you operate sanely within an organization that is ponerized? Any advice welcome.

Thanks for providing this info on Doctors Without Borders Jeremy F Kreuz. Since most sinister agendas in Africa and elsewhere are usually carried out under the guise of philanthropy, aid or benevolent intentions, the information you provided didn't come as a surprise. Their mass vaccination strategies speak for themselves...and the ARVs is another discussion.

To be fair however, they obviously provide huge relief as well (be it a combination of a smoke screen on the part of sinister forces and sincerely well intentioned doctors on the ground). The recent cholera epidemic in Zimbabwe comes to mind when they were stationed in Musina at the border and rehydrated patients coming across (that cholera patient didn't give a damn about the water running down his/her throat being a smoke screen)...

As to your 'crisis of conscience', I can't tell you what to do.

Perhaps you role is to reintroduce some STO balance around you. Others working with you are certainly seeking the same you found. I think there's no need for you to explain, only to be STO as much as you can in what you do.
My 2 cents.

A French biography of M. Kouchner: http://www.voltairenet.org/article1683.html

"Lokotoro sin taw"... (koroboro language)

My own experince with that "entity" is that it is indeed a tool of the empire. The good people I met who were working for that NGO just resigned, the others were just addicted to being NGO notabilities in third world countries, a position that is pretty confortable... Sometimes nevertheless, when the people in charge are STO oriented, they can really bring relief for some in the local populations anyway, same with the other big NGO. I wish I had met you "sur le terrain", we could have share good conversations and maybe do our best to really provide confort to some people.
respect

As to your conscience crisis, I can only tell you that I have personnaly been involved for years in a cancer hospital, giving my best for the people. But I realised I was used by the big corporates making trials on the people. Of course, They tolerated my unconventional attitude without criticism, but only becouse it was their interest and I resigned. Furthermore I was misleading myself since I was indoubtly giving more than I could. Giving so much energy, I was being drained and mislead to believe that I was "a good person" for acting like that.
Respect
PS: You alone can make your choice according to your own understanding of your specific situation.
respect

Quote from Jeremy:
This leaves me in a dilemma. As I write I still work for MSF and I can see a lot of decent human beings working for them being drained from energy ‘for the good cause’. I can see those people struggling with the same things I struggled with before I read SOTT and Ponerology. After the shock, and this one is still not over, realizing I was fooled for so many years, the next question comes up: do I leave this organization or do I stay and help these people that I can see struggling and nose diving? Maybe it is a exaggerated comparison but sometimes I feel like I am working for a fascist organization. And this feeling only gets worse when I realize how far the ponerization has affected myself. How do you operate sanely within an organization that is ponerized? Any advice welcome.

I wrote of a similar situation (Working for a highly questionable organization to say the least) here http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=12587.0
I can't say that I'm knowlegdable to give you any advice. (As I write this post I'm still employed there. I've made plans to leave in Sept. but have not fixed upon any concrete career follow up as of yet.) I do have a question, however. How to you think that you will be able to help the people that are struggling and nose diving? Also, is it possible to maintain one's integrity or sanity within a ponerized organization?

hi all,

Thanks for the replies and the advice given. Chachachick, your thread 'I'm a foot soldier in the War on Health' is indeed dealing with a similar dilemma and a very halpeful read. Even when I am not a doctor or nurse, I contribute also to the distribution of drugs and the application of medical practices that are based on a wrong approach to desease. And as you wrote I face the same:

I can no longer claim ignorance. Now that I've come to know what I know I CANNOT, in good conscience, continue on in this profession where symptoms and their suppression are the focus and everything else is ignored. I've long since stopped offering vaccines but that's not good enough. I also give toxic medicines. Essentially, I'm one of the poisoners and I'm so wracked with shame and guilt I can think of little else. I feel like screaming at the injustice of the harm brought to these patients, harm that I've contributed to. I don't want to hurt anyone. I want to truly help people become well. True health comes from optimal nutrition and supplementation along with regular exercise and detoxification as well as the absolute avoidance of allopathic medicine. Leaving will cause some hardship as I am my only means of support but I cannot reconcile what I'm learning and the person I want to be with what I get paid to do.

However, this seems to be the one time where I seem like I am making an informed decision based on my own research. Despite my underlying dissatisfaction, it was my intention to stay in this profession for the rest of my life until now. There are many aspects of the work that I enjoy and I live comfortably but I still can't find any justification for staying knowing what I know. It's completely contradictory to my aim. No one is depending on me for financial support so this is a decision that primarily only affects me.

On the microlevel, in my direct environment I feel can I pass on information to /help people that struggle with the confusion that comes from being well intended to help (STO inclination) vs working for a system that has no good intentions and abuses the good intentions for the benefit of a darker plan. In informal conversations and discussion with other members I drop on strategic moments information that might awake something in some people. Later one or two that participated ask more in private conversation. I give them the address of the site and/or we go in a conversation about aspects of the behavior of some other people or about the functioning of the organisation. I do see some benefit in this microlevel environment and this is helpful for those who are ready to receive that info. (just like I got one day the info to take a look at that website of SOTT)

On the macrolevel though I do not get these responses and I have tried (before I realized the importance of external considering and a strategic enclosure) to try to adress some issues with my bosses. I forwarded a article on vaccinations to the medical appartement with (of course) no outcome. I forward articles on the situation in Pakistan and Afghanistan, I worked on a report on North Korea and included some elements on the psychopathic nature of the regime. I stopped this realizing it had no effect. As a whole the organisation is deeply entrenched in its believes and is no longer open to a discussion about alternatives. It is sound asleep.

Due to the mask the organisation wears (helping others) many good/normal people are attracted to organisation and they get drained of all the energy they put into it. The more the successful the organisation became (esp after it got the Nobel Peace price in 1999) it also started to attract psychopaths into its ranks. In fact I think the reception of the PEace prize was the point of no return: it was the legitimation by the empire and a open invitation to ponerized it. It hurts me to see so many people getting abused, trying very hard to help people, getting confused, and try even harder to even do better. I realize also that there is no way to stop the process the organisation is going through. Yes, by staying I can pass info to some people and they might use it to inform themselves. But when I stay I will also continue to help organise mass vacciantions, drug distributions and educations of those 'poor helpless victims somewhere in a forgotten crisis'. Where is the balance here? To pass on info to a few, and in the meantime continue to pass info and poison to millions? IS there indeed a way to remain sane inside a ponerized organisation. At the current stage of my knowledge: I think no way.

Still I struggle with this feeling. I have a family to support (and a second child coming). And even though my wife has never been a big fan of MSF and would be happy that I leave MSF (MSF was one of the contributing factors to a severe crisis in my marriage, which, thanks also to info from the forum, we overcame) we would be confronted with financial problems. And this makes me, despite the knowledge I gathered here through the reading, afraid and uncertain. It is strange to feel this: I was never afraid to dive into the violence of a warzone in the believe that I could help others, but I am afraid of the next corner in my live. Is it time to make the conclusion that with all the information and knowledge I have up till now, to break with the past and move on, or am I overlooking something crucial?

thanks for all the advice and replies.

I think that what you're experimenting is the gap between the speed of your new awareness ("prise de conscience" in French) and the speed how your 3D situation can be adjusted to this new state of mind.

Here's what I would do: to pray to stay tuned and be STO (or what you want) and then meditate.

Be sure opportunities will come to you. Don't be suddenly in a hurry.

Ellipse,

Thanks for the good advice not to rush things. The whole humanitarian issue is indeed for me a big buffer that has blown up. When the dust has come down, things will be clearer.

In the wars in the former Yugoslavia, "medicins sans frontieres" was known (or that was impressions that they gave out of themselves) to be some sort of the screen for some agendas which will suit for cia or organizations like that. There was rumors about smuggling ammunition, smuggling war criminals and mercenaries, negotiating where they wasn't invited. In short sticking their nose where they weren't wanted and where they do not belonged.

Of course those are rumors, but where is the smoke . . .

Avala,

In the wars in the former Yugoslavia, "medicins sans frontieres" was known (or that was impressions that they gave out of themselves) to be some sort of the screen for some agendas which will suit for cia or organizations like that.

From my own experiences with MSF I have no direct data to confirm this, allthough in some instances I had doubts about the profiles and history of certain people I worked with. What is generally whispered in the humaniarian world though is that many humanitarian organizations are inflitrated by agents of all kinds of intelligence groups. And from an intelligence gathering point of view, that could make sense. These organizations being 'neutral, impartial and independent ' have a 'good' reputation, have access to areas where it would be difficult to nose around in a other function, gather information on the situation to analyse their own security, are in contact with all parties in the conflict and are allowed to pass frontlines. That seems to be as close as possible to a perfect cover.

As reference we can also look at the two french agents that posed as journalists in Moghadishu and were kidnapped by a Somali rebel group recently.

I would question though that such agendas are a deliberate action from those organizations. Why would they be informed of the fact that they are infiltrated?

What I can confirm is that on occasions MSF and other organizations were inflitrated by the warring parties and that information was passed on to the other side. On other occasions it happened that employees locally employed ran off to actively particpate in the conflict. Again this seems more of an embarresment for those organizations than a purposeful agenda. They are more likely than anything else victim of their amateuristic approach, a underestimation of the environment and the nature of their work.

There was rumors about smuggling ammunition, smuggling war criminals and mercenaries, negotiating where they wasn't invited.

There is an incident where MSF was accused of smuggling arms in a plane. It turned out that the organisation forgot to remove the identification stickers from the plane that they chartered to transport aidmaterial. That plane was used afterwards by others to transport said weapons, and they too forgot to remove the stickers. Again caused by amateurism and a underestimation of the environment more then anything else, osit. About smuggling war crimimals and mercenaries I have no data. That at least one of the national employees that used to work for MSF later in his career became a notorious warlord, is fact.

Please bear in mind that I was close to that (at least geographically and mentally as all nations involved was, not involved at the very war) so my view of that is far from objective.

About amateurism, that of course may be great problem of such organizations, meaning that psychopaths could use good people (but unaware of the reality of our world) and they possibly do that; why not use such good opportunity for their causes.

You know that saying that one rotten apple can spoil whole lot? And if the whole lot is idealistic and asleep, I think that the chances for that are even greater. Of course I don't have a doubt that there are also a good people that truly believe in making good for others.

The BBC has published a report, alleging that some employees of the international NGO, Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF), had used prostitutes while working overseas. In light of those claims, the aid group provided Sputnik with a written comment to explain that it was “unable to confirm the specific allegations” based on the information provided.

21.06.2018 - MSF Staff Used Prostitutes While Working in Africa - Reports
MSF Staff Used Prostitutes While Working in Africa – Reports

According to the BBC’s Victoria Derbyshire program, citing whistleblower, employees from Médecins Sans Frontières, one of the world’s largest aid groups, offering medical assistance in conflict zones, with 40,000 staff around the world, are said to have used local prostitutes while on a mission in Africa.

When Sputnik reached out to the NGO for comment, MSF stated that it had taken the report seriously and “looked into the claims put to us by the BBC as far as we are able, but the lack of detail provided has made this difficult.”

“We do not tolerate abuse, harassment or exploitation within MSF. We are sorry for any instances where people have been subjected to harassment, abuse or otherwise mistreated and/or felt that it was not adequately dealt with. Based on the information provided, we have been unable to confirm the specific allegations made in the BBC report. We would urge anyone with any concerns to report them via MSF’s confidential whistleblowing mechanisms so that we can take action. We welcome the current scrutiny as this is what enables change in and beyond MSF,” MSF wrote.

The organization has also stated that “underreporting” was a major challenge and has admitted that MSF still had to do more to make those who were subjected to sexual abuse, feel able to speak out via reporting mechanisms.

“We are deeply saddened that in this case the people the BBC has spoken to do not feel able to come forward. While we have reporting mechanisms in place where complaints can be made, we know we need to do more to ensure that they are known, trusted and used by the people who need them. Underreporting is a key challenge as those affected may not come forward for fear of not being believed or being stigmatized. Unfortunately, this is as true in MSF as it is in wider society. “

According to the aid group, some people have been disciplined for misdemeanor:

“We continue to improve our reporting mechanisms so people feel safe to report abuse at MSF, and to ensure that all staff understand the importance of responsible behavior and conduct themselves in a responsible manner. We have sanctioned people for misconduct, including dismissal.”

It Was Implicit That Girls Were There for Sex

Earlier the BBC cited several female workers, who spoke on condition of anonymity for fear of being blacklisted by aid agencies and claimed that using prostitutes at the charity was a widespread behavior despite the fact that it is strictly banned under MSF’s code of conduct.

"There was an older colleague who actually moved a woman into the compound [where MSF staff was staying]. It was pretty obvious she was a prostitute but he called her his girlfriend and she would spend night after night with him. […] So blatant and widespread. I saw one of my colleagues; he was a much younger guy, go into the toilet with a local prostitute. I knew her to talk to as she also worked in one of the bars. She told me afterwards that they'd had sex and he'd paid her," one of the whistleblowers, who worked with HIV patients in Africa, claimed.

The allegations did not concern doctors or nurses, but were pressed against logistical personnel, with another woman suggesting that it was “implicit” that the girls were there for sex.

The girls were very young and rumored to be prostitutes. My colleague, who was staying in the same residence for a long time, felt that this was a regular occurrence," another ex-employee said, saying that she had witnessed a senior staffer bring girls to the NGO’s accommodation while working in Kenya.

They Took Advantage of Their Exalted Status as a Western Aid Worker

The employee also alleged that some workers took advantage of young women because they were older and the girls couldn’t challenge them.

"I felt that, with some of the older guys, there was definitely an abuse of power. They'd been there for a long time and took advantage of their exalted status as a Western aid worker. There's definitely a feeling that certain predatory men were seen as too big to fail. You would often see men who were older, middle-aged, partying with much younger local girls. It was sexualized."

Treatment for Ebola in Exchange for Sex

The third woman told the BBC that a fellow colleague had boasted about trading medication to treat Ebola for sex.

"He said, 'Oh, it's so easy to barter medication with these easy girls in Liberia'. He was suggesting lots of the young girls who had lost their parents to the Ebola crisis would do anything sexual in exchange for medication."

The BBC, however, stated that it hadn’t been possible to verify this allegation, and the MSF said that it needed more information before it could launch the probe.

Sexually Harassing Partners at Other NGOs

The Victoria Derbyshire program has discussed the issue with eight women who used to work at the charity organization in European and African offices after one of the whistleblowers claimed that MSF employees had on numerous occasions sexually harassed workers at other NGOs. The culture at the organization was described as “toxic.”

The BBC said it saw an internal report that showed MSF had been probing allegations of sexual harassment by personnel back in 2016.

The Executive Director of MSF in the UK, Vickie Hawkins described it as “concerning,” adding that the NGO took findings and reports of “abuse and harassment seriously, and we know we still have work to do.”

“We have conducted a thorough review of our files and undertaken informal enquiries, but are unable to find any record or evidence of the claims that have been put to us regarding the London office," Hawkins added.

In February, the aid group revealed it had fired 19 employees after receiving 146 complaints, 40 of which were related to harassment and sex abuse. The revelation came after the charity Oxfam grappled with allegations that its staffers had hired prostitutes while working in Africa and Haiti.

Back
Top Bottom