Metal anyone?

S

Skycsil

Hi, everyone!
I'm Silvana from Argentina, and this is my first post. I've been lurking around, reading things to make sure I won't ask a lot of stupid questions.
To the point: I'm working as an amateur writer/journalist for a local metal mag. Thought it would be interesting to write an article about occult/alchemy in metal music, but so far couldn't find a lot of bands beside Therion and Prophecy Of Doom (their album "The Matrix" suggest a lot about that, actually them they seemed quite interested in helping with my article, very nice people, by the way). Anyway, if anyone here is into metal and know some more bands with lyrics that talk about the subject in a more or less serious way (since there is an awful lot of bands that insert random pseudo occult words without telling much), it would be of great help.

Thanks in advance =)

Have a look at some Black Sabbath lyrics. One for starters is "A Spiral Architect". Another is "National Acrobat".

I would classify these more as Alchemical than occult, especially "National Acrobat".

There are more...

Cheers.

Does it has to be "occult"? Because there are gothic metal bands who doesn't talk "occult", but still have a very meaningful lyrics. "Lacuna coil" is my favorite. They are more melodic then hard core, but this is what works for me :)

Thought I'd take the liberty to post some lyrics that are relevant to this thread...

Form the lyrics posted below, my favorite line that speaks of DOing: "The deathly darkness that Belies the fate of those who never ran".

What was that quote from the Cs? (Paraphrased): "for those that shut out the World, the Worlds will cease." (The added "s" to the second "World" is not a typo, if I recall correctly. And it is a rather important distinction, if indeed I remember it properly). In fact, it is essential. Understanding this world will lead to others.

And the other line of import: "The name that scorns the face" interpreted as your core essence versus the face you put on. (Whether good or bad, the variance of what you are and how you choose to present yourself is spoken to), and immediately followed by: "The child that never sees the cause of man". It is rather striking.

And there are other interesting lines to look at besides....

"A National Acrobat" by Black Sabbath

I am the world that hides
The universal secret of all time
Destruction of the empty spaces
Is my one and only crime
Ive lived a thousand times
I found out what it means to be believed
The thoughts and images
The unborn child that never was conceived

When little worlds collide
Im trapped inside my embryonic cell
And flashing memories
Are cast into the never ending well
The name that scorns the face
The child that never sees the cause of man
The deathly darkness that
Belies the fate of those who never ran

Well I know its hard for you
To know the reason why
And I know youll understand
More when its time to die
Dont believe the life you have
Will be the only one
You have to let your body sleep
To let your soul live on
Love has given life to you
And now its your concern
Unseen eyes of inner life
Will make your soul return
Still I look but not to touch
The seeds of life are sown
Curtain of the future falls
The secret stays unknown

Just remember love is life
And hate is living death
Treat your life for what its worth
And live for every breath
Looking back Ive lived and learned
But now Im wondering
Here I wait and only guess
What this next life will bring
And for those that have actually heard this song, the unofficial ad-lib lyric:

AAH HAAAAA!
:)

Great, thanks! I'll check 'em out =)

Vintersorg also has a lot of interesting stuff, look: http://www.darklyrics.com/lyrics/vintersorg/thefocusingblur.html

I'm sure there are a lot more bands out there, metal audience and musicians are sometimes smarter than people ussualy think they are.

You can look at Anathema. here's a great band, who evolved from doom metal to atmospheric, but always with profound and meaningful lyrics (osit).
2 new songs can be downloaded on their site :
http://www.anathema.ws/

A Simple Mistake

Think for yourself you know what you need in this life
See for yourself and feel your soul come alive tonight
Here in the moment we share, trembling between the worlds we stare
Out at starlight enshrined, veiled like diamonds in..

...time can be the answer, take a chance, lose it all
It's a simple mistake to make to create love and to fall
So rise and be your master you don't need to be a slave
Of memory ensnared in a web, in a cage

I have found my way to fly free from the constraints of time
I have soared through the sky seen life far below in mind
Breathed in truth, love, serene, sailed on OCEANS OF BELIEF
Searched and found life inside, we're not just a moment in time...

....can be the answer, take a chance lose it all
It's a simple mistake to make to create love and to fall
So rise and be your master you don't need to be a slave
Of memory ensnared in a web, in a cage

[spoken words from "Defending Middle-Earth Tolkien: Myth and Modernity" by Patrick Curry:]
Despair is for people who know, beyond any doubt, what the future is going to bring.
Nobody is in that position.
So despair is not only a kind of sin, theologically, but also a simple mistake, because nobody actually knows.
In that sense there always is hope.

Back
Top Bottom