'Missing 411', by David Paulides: Tracking unusual missing persons cases

Here is a Bigfoot sighting (Sasquatch) by a Ahousaht on Vancouver Island. Ahousahy means '“facing opposite from the ocean” or “people living with their backs to the land and mountains” in the Nuu-chah-nulth language."

The fellow who spotted it was a Fisheries Officer from his boat (no video of it, just his story and foot prints).

Edit: Map of area:

Just the last of this incident involving Amanda Eller from two different source's.

May 29, 2019, 1:13 PM ET
The hiker who spent 17 agonizing days in the Hawaiian wilderness reunited with the people who saved her.

Amanda Eller, 35, was reported missing on May 8 after she went for a hike. As time went on her family expressed fear that foul play may have been involved but they were no doubt relieved when she was found alive.

On Thursday, a helicopter spotted Eller, who was injured and considerably thinner than when she ventured into the woods. She was so happy to see the rescuers she cried tears of happiness.

She saw these rescuers again in person during an emotional reunion on Monday’s TODAY Show. "You guys are the heroes,'' Eller told rescuers Javier Cantellops, Chris Berquist and Troy Helmer. "I am not the hero, I am just the girl sitting here healing my ankles."

Eller had become disoriented while out on her May 8 hike and got lost without the aid of her phone or GPS, which she typically leaves in her car while hiking, according to the TODAY Show. She lost so much weight, she wasn’t sure she’d survive, she told the New York Times. She ate plants and berries, and even moths. Some nights she slept in mud. During at least one night, she slept in a boar’s den. At one point, she fell off a 20-foot cliff fracturing her leg and forcing her to crawl as her only means of getting around. One photo shows her ankles in rough condition. She was discovered deep in a ravine between two waterfalls, according to the official Facebook page which was created for the effort to find her.

The Maui Memorial Medical Center, where Eller had been staying, announced on Sunday that Eller had been released from the hospital “on her own accord to continue her rehab and recovery with family and loved ones.”

Her friend and search coordinator Sarah Haynes said on TODAY that Eller is healing and is in a wheelchair at the moment.

"I am so blessed for every breath that I take,'' Eller said during the reunion.

She also thanked the community who contributed to the search.

"I've never experienced anything like this where the community is showing up with so much freakin' heart and so much passion, and these guys were not going to give up on me, thank God!" she said.

c5779f5058c2b4a8878f86cda982d3d7.png

“I think a lot of her survival has to do with who she is,” Cantellops, one of the rescue workers who was in the helicopter, told the TODAY show. “Her experience in the forest itself, her knowledge of the vegetation, but in reality her physical therapy, her expertise in the human anatomy. I think that her injuries, she was able to treat them and treat herself and pretty much be able to assess her situation out in the field and be able to move forward with those injuries.”

4d60acd3e10393787b1ce705ab8df520.png

Three Video's (Clue's)
May 28, 2019, 2:39 PM GMT+2 / Source: TODAY By Scott Stump
Amanda Eller had an emotional reunion Monday night with the men who rescued her after she was lost for 17 days in a Hawaiian jungle, hugging them tight in thanks for saving her life.

"You guys are the heroes,'' Eller said during a community gathering. "I am not the hero, I am just the girl sitting here healing my ankles."

Eller, 35, is still recovering following her rescue on May 24 when she was spotted by a helicopter team after spending more than two weeks in a jungle on the island of Maui.

"I am so blessed for every breath that I take,'' Eller said.

She gave thanks to the hundreds of people in the local community who spent weeks contributing to the efforts to find her.

"I've never experienced anything like this where the community is showing up with so much freakin' heart and so much passion, and these guys were not going to give up on me, thank God!" she said Monday night.

"It was incredible to see her (on Monday night),'' rescuer Javier Cantellops told Savannah Guthrie on TODAY Tuesday. "She was just so incredibly gracious to every single person who came to her."

Her friend Sarah Haynes, who helped coordinate the search effort, gave an update on Eller's condition on TODAY Tuesday.

"She's doing great,'' Haynes said. "She's got a little bit of a one step backward, two steps forward situation, but she's spiritually great. She's going through a very grueling process on her legs, where they need to remove the tops of the wounds and it's very painful, much like a burn victim.

"Physically, she's gone backward a little bit. She walked out of the hospital, now she's in a wheelchair, but it's all part of the healing process, so she's still moving forward."

The yoga instructor and physical therapist suffered a fractured leg, severe sunburn and a skin infection during her ordeal. She had gone for a hike on May 8 and become disoriented without her phone and GPS after stopping to meditate and rest.

Eller was also without shoes and socks on rocky terrain for about 12 days
because one night she slept in a cave and a flash flood washed them away, according to Haynes. There were times when Eller questioned whether she would survive.

"She had kind of resigned herself to talking to the universe and saying 'Hey look, I really don't want to go, but if this is my highest purpose for some reason, then I'll accept it, but I'm really hoping that you'll allow me to have a higher purpose with this story and my situation,''' Haynes said.

While flying by in a helicopter, Cantellops, Chris Berquist and Troy Helmer spotted her waving from an area five miles deep into the jungle.

Cantellops said on TODAY that they had only about five minutes' worth of fuel remaining in the helicopter when they spotted Eller in an area where her boyfriend had suggested to look early in the search process.

"That moment will live down in the depths of my soul forever,'' he said. "We're coming up this waterfall and look down and she appears out of the wood. It can only be described as magic. It was the greatest single moment of my life."

The area where they found her was between two waterfalls and a steep canyon.

"I don't go in that valley because it's so steep and there's so many boxed canyons that you're not coming out of there,'' Helmer told NBC's Molly Hunter on TODAY Tuesday.

Eller survived by eating jungle fruit, drinking river water and sleeping in mud for warmth. She could move only by crawling after she fell off a 20-foot cliff and fractured a leg.

"It did come down to life and death and I had to choose ... and I chose life,'
' Eller said in a Facebook video Saturday. "I wasn't going to take the easy way out."

Eller has returned home with her family as the painful wounds in her legs continue to heal. She is expected to share more of her ordeal Tuesday in a press conference at the hospital.

"If anyone could survive that it was her," her father, John Eller, said on the day she was rescued.
..........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

May 30, 2019, 8:37AM Updated 12 hours ago
NOAH-KEKAI-MINA-RECOVERY-3-1024x536.jpg

HONOLULU — Authorities say searchers have found the body of a man believed to be a hiker who went missing on a remote trail on Hawaii's island of Maui 10 days ago. (Repoted missing May 20. 2019).

Maui Police Department spokesman Lt. Gregg Okamoto in a statement Wednesday said that the body was found about 400 feet (121 meters) below a steep ridge in an area only accessible by helicopter.

Rescuers had to be lowered in to retrieve the body thought to be that of 35-year-old Noah Mina, who went missing on May 20. An autopsy will be performed to identify the body.

The body was found days after rescuers found a Hawaii hiker who was missing for two weeks in another part of Maui.

Amanda Eller survived by eating plants and drinking stream water.

Published on May 29, 201

Published on May 21, 2019
b48e58fe36b59431ae18e7113a085c79.png

Something about Amanda Eller's disappearance just doesn't smell right. If it wasn't a Missing 411 type situation, and it looks like it wasn't, then a lot of details don't add up.

I wonder if all of this is a distraction away from the earth changes happening in Hawaii with the volcanic eruptions. It's like a nice human tragedy turned triumphant story (which most of us like to hear about).

Her hospital message on FaceBook is very thankful sounding to all those who helped pay on the "Go Fund me" to pay for the helicopter that found her and other efforts.

There was a strange perhaps just slip of the tongue thing (at about 1:40) she said in the hospital was the opposite of what you would think she would mean.

My transcription as close as I could get it said:
This is just like a tiny little book of my story and my life for a much much bigger purpose. Seeing the way the communities Maui came together, people that know me, that don't know me all came together under the idea of helping one person to make it out of the woods alive just warms my heart and just to seeing the power of prayer and the power of love when everybody combines their efforts is incredible. It can move mountains. And at some point you know I think we all thought that was lost in the world. It's beautiful to know that it's not only so lost but it's so prevalent and if we allow ourselves to tap into that side and open our hearts and to be like brothers and sisters instead of somebody we should be scared of; you know we're helping each other we're all a part of the same community, we're a part of the same purpose of being here on earth. Uhm...then...then that's what this was all for. This was all about us coming together for like a greater purpose of community and love...um in appreciation for life...um and I have the most gratitude and respect (I can't even put it into words) for the people who have helped me, for the people that have prayed for me, for the people that were at base camp, um...for the people all over the world, that..that somehow just wanted to be a part of this for the greater good outside of themselves. Uhm...so much love and respect and I appreciate so much more than I can say all of those donations for the Go Fund Me which has funded the helicopters because I had no idea how I was going to pay for that [nervous laughter] but funding the helicopters and helping the people that have come out to search for me like paying for their plane tickets, it's such a beautiful exchange of energy amongst people for all right reasons.

If Beau had not "smell"ed something I might not have looked so closely but there is something kind of "off" about this whole story.

I've been watching this story, the cowboy (and not the other who is a painter/ranch hand) for awhile. And just so peeps know, both these people went missing not all that far from Ryan Shtuka, as discussed a number of pages back.

Had noticed that David Paulides had it listed on his site as follows:

5/3- A cowboy and a painter/ranch hand go missing five years apart on a lonely Canadian road. Finally news agencies are starting to look at "coincidences" in rural disappearances. Is there a link between two mysterious disappearances near Merritt?
Is there a link between two mysterious disappearances near Merritt?

Here is a map showing the distance - it is around 66 mi as the crow flies.

Generally, bodies of the Missing are sometimes found near body's of water per, Dave.

But I've read that sometimes people go missing at a point's near water.

Though it may well be, what it is, just some poor soul that was just not payting attention to a very fast, and cold running Mokelumne river.

For the past two weeks, the close-knit community of automotive writers and aficionados of speed everywhere have been hoping for good news about Davey G. Johnson, the Car and Driver writer and Jalopnik alum who went missing on a motorcycle trip in California.

Unfortunately, as of today, it seems that good news may not arrive.

The massive search and rescue effort for Johnson was officially called off today, according to the Calaveras County Sheriff’s Office. The office said it continues to look for Johnson, but “large scale search efforts have been suspended pending further information or leads.”
Johnson’s friend Abigail Bassett, a fellow automotive journalist who had taken point on reporting updates, said on Twitter this afternoon that following 10 days of searching, there are no new details nor information about his disappearance. Authorities are now calling this an accidental drowning and say Johnson likely went into a river of his own accord. There is no evidence of foul play, the sheriff’s office has said.

Johnson, 43, went missing on June 5 during a motorcycle trip from Las Vegas to his home in the Sacramento area. He was riding a Honda CB1000R as part of a story for Motorcyclist when he disappeared along California Route 49. The bike was later found at a rest stop near the Mokelumne River, according to Car and Driver. Johnson’s gear, computer, phone and wallet were later discovered near the riverbank.

“He had texted a friend, appending a few photos, at around 8:30 that morning saying he was sitting near that creek,” his friend and colleague John Pearley Huffman wrote for the magazine. “Anything beyond that is speculation.”

The sheriff’s office, multiple other first responder agencies and dozens of volunteers spent the past 10 days searching nearly 450 miles.

Johnson wrote for Jalopnik in some of its earliest years, from 2005 to 2007. To call him a pioneering auto enthusiast on the internet is an understatement. A vibrant storyteller whose love of adventure was matched by his deep technical knowledge about cars and bikes, his writing was vital in establishing this website’s tone and voice early on. Without him, we would not have DAF vs. FAF, epic paeans to Soviet cars, thrilling escapades on the road or the fun-filled, run-what-ya-brung spirit that represents Jalopnik at its best.

Johnson took that same inimitable talent to Car and Driver, Autoweek, Motorcyclist and other publications. He and his work are deeply respected in this community, and by readers across the world.

We will have more to say about Davey Johnson in the coming days, but for now, please keep his friends and family in your thoughts. In the meantime, anyone with additional information is asked to call the Calaveras County Sheriff’s Office at (209) 754 6500, or its Investigations Tip Line at (209) 754-6030.

Body Found in the Mokelumne River
Mokelumne Hill, CA) On June 20, 2019, at about 2:30 PM, the Calaveras County Sheriff’s Office was dispatched to the Mokelumne River near the inlet of Lake Pardee for a deceased white male. Rangers from the East Bay Municipal Utilities District who had been continuing with search efforts made the discovery.

Calaveras County Sheriff’s Detectives were dispatched along with the Sheriff’s Marine Safety Unit to investigate the scene and to recover the decedent. The deceased male has not been positively identified, however, Sheriff’s Detectives tentatively believe that the human remains are that of David Gordon Johnson.

David Johnson was originally reported as a missing person to the Sacramento County Sheriff’s Office on Wednesday, June 5, 2019. A motorcycle which had been ridden by David Johnson was located at the Big Bar River Access near the town of Mokelumne Hill on June 7, 2019.

Prior to the discovery of the body,
Sheriff’s Detectives pieced together circumstances and evidence which suggested that David Johnson may have entered the Mokelumne River and become the victim of accidental drowning.

An autopsy will be conducted to determine the cause of death and to positively identify the male subject. The investigation is on-going.

The new documentary Missing 411 - The Hunted is now available on iTunes. You can also pre-order the DVD from their website, but if you want to see it right away, you only (for now) can buy it on iTunes:

Purchase- Online Edition on iTunes: ‎Missing 411: The Hunted on iTunes

Purchase: Pre-sale DVD, Missing 411 The Hunted: Missing 411: The Hunted, DVD Presale

Purchase: Missing 411- Hunters, The book that made the movie!BigfootStore

The new documentary Missing 411 - The Hunted is now available on iTunes. You can also pre-order the DVD from their website, but if you want to see it right away, you only (for now) can buy it on iTunes:

Purchase- Online Edition on iTunes: ‎Missing 411: The Hunted on iTunes

Purchase: Pre-sale DVD, Missing 411 The Hunted: Missing 411: The Hunted, DVD Presale

Purchase: Missing 411- Hunters, The book that made the movie! BigfootStore

I am looking forward to watching the documentary. Here's the trailer:

Past case out of Los Angeles. The City Of Angels.
Coordinates:
17px-WMA_button2b.png
34°03′N 118°15′W

Missing in L.A.: How Did a Woman Vanish in Plain Sight?
November 1, 2017 KECT
nancyhat.jpg

Nancy Paulikas | Photo courtesy of Kirk Moody.

Update, Dec. 27, 2018: Nancy Paulikas' remains have been found and identified. A skull found in April 2017 and ribs found in September 2018, both at
Fossil Ridge Park in Sherman Oaks, have now been identified as Paulikas' through DNA matching, according to her husband Kirk Moody.

In 2016, there was 9,943 reported cases of missing adults in Los Angeles.
Nancy Paulikas was one of them.

Where is she?

That question rarely escapes Kirk Moody’s mind since the day his wife, Nancy, disappeared from a crowded museum in Los Angeles on Oct. 15, 2016. War rooms and search parties have formed, people have driven thousands of miles from the Mexican border to the Central Valley, and still there’s no sign of Nancy Paulikas.

nancypaulikuslastphoto_copy.jpg

Nancy Paulikas and family hours before she went missing | Photo courtesy of Kirk Moody.

Just before heading home, they both used the bathroom but somehow got separated. A search of the museum quickly ensued. The Los Angeles Police Department responded with search dogs and scoured the nearby streets but turned up no clues.

Nancy vanished from one of the most populous, congested parts of Los Angeles. She had no money, no purse, no identification and may not have known her full name when she wandered off, according to her husband

Law enforcement has ruled out suspecting Kirk in her disappearance. Surveillance footage from a few nearby stores in the Fairfax district shows Nancy walking on Wilshire Boulevard and then turning down a side street. The grainy images are the only clues Kirk and his family have as to where she may have gone.

Finding the footage was a mission in itself.

One business was “willing to let us watch the video but they didn’t know how to copy it for us. So, my friend stayed up there and watched several hours of videos," said Moody.

Security footage obtained from Chase Bank of Nancy Paulikas walking down McCarthy Vista Blvd. | Footage provided by Kirk Moody

Kirk tackled his wife’s disappearance much as he would one of his engineering projects. His kitchen was covered with maps, and he used spreadsheets and mathematical equations to estimate how far Nancy could have walked given her good physical shape. Sign-up sheets, databases and phone trees were established for volunteers who wanted to go look for Nancy.

Kirk was persuaded to trade in his flip phone for a smart phone so he could check emails in real time. Someone made daily call to the coroner’s office. LAPD detectives assisted by checking out known homeless encampments, even though that was a long shot given her condition.

"She probably wouldn't be able to survive in the homeless community. Someone would really have to be taking care of her all the time and it’s just not possible," said Moody.

A theory on what happened to Nancy quickly formed: She was in a nursing home or adult care facility listed as a Jane Doe. Only a residential care unit would be able to handle her — and could get paid for doing so.

After a few phone calls and visits, Kirk and the other volunteers learned there is no coordinated system or database between all law enforcement agencies and the medical community to track at-risk mentally impaired adults.

However, Detective Samuel Soto of LAPD’s Adult Missing Persons Unit says his six-person team sends notifications to local hospitals in the case of an at-risk missing adult. In the past, when social workers at care facilities have contacted the LAPD about Jane and John Does, they have been successful in identifying individuals.

As a standard practice, however, residential care facilities do not necessarily share information among each other or with law enforcement about any non-identifiable patients they may have. Without that coordination, Kirk and his dwindling group of volunteers have been forced to personally visit the facilities. There are 119,000 skilled nursing facilities and 7,460 assisted living facilities California. Kirk has reached out to over 2,600 of them.

Every week, Nancy’s elderly parents still visit three or four nursing homes across the Southland. They’ve traveled as far south as San Diego and as far north as Kern County. Convinced she’s alive, it’s the only thing they can do to locate their only daughter, who had become increasingly difficult in the weeks before her disappearance.

"It was getting to a point we couldn’t take her out to dinner or in public,” said Joan Paulikas.

Nancy would get irritable and difficult to manage during outings. The cruelness of Alzheimer's seems particularly acute in situations like Nancy’s, who at 55 had just retired when she was diagnosed. A pilot at 17, a top graduate at UC Davis and a respected engineer, she was a brilliant mind who was so independent she and Kirk eloped and got married in Independence, California. On the day she disappeared, she could barely cross the street on her own.

Now her parents worry she is so burdensome, who would take care of her? That is what drives them to keep looking.

Occasionally they’ll encounter people who think they’ve seen Nancy, but those leads have led nowhere. Her parents blame the false leads on her common looks.

"She’s tall, slim, brown hair and blue eyes. She looks like so many people," said George Paulikas.

Carol Sloan, a public affairs representative with the California Department of Health Care Services, confirmed to "SoCal Connected" there are fewer than 11 Jane Does listed in its database of the thousands of facilities covered by Medi-cal. Sloan said by law the exact number cannot be made public if it is under 11. She also added the state’s information on Jane and John Does is generated on a county level. Counties process the patient's’ eligibility requirements and would be the first to note the status of a Jane or John Doe.

When contacted, a representative for the Los Angeles County Department of Public Services confirmed it has over 190 Jane Does in its system, but only one would fit the timeframe of Nancy’s disappearance. Kirk was already aware of that case.

Lost and Found in L.A.

About 300 to 350 people are reported missing each month in the City of Los Angeles, according to LAPD’s website. But just a few appear on the department’s missing persons website and it doesn’t appear many cases are updated. Some are decades old, a few dating back to the early 1960s. The LAPD’s Adult Missing Persons Unit is limited in how involved they can get in a case because going missing is not a crime.

Most of LA’s missing — about 80 percent — are located within two or three days, according to the Adult Missing Person’s Unit.

Positive identifications run even higher at the L.A. County Coroner’s Office.

"Annually we get about 500 John Doe and Jane Doe reports. By the end of the year we identify all but maybe 20," said Coroner’s Capt. John Kades.

Every unidentified body remains an open case, some dating to the 1950s.

"If someone's missing and family and friends go to any law enforcement agency, they are obligated and mandated by law to have the family submit a DNA swab. That DNA goes into the missing person database," Kades said.

Because of a backlog, familial DNA can take a couple of years to process before law enforcement agencies can determine if a match is made.

"Theoretically, if her body shows up somewhere or someplace, regardless of her condition, hopefully it’ll get put together, but it’s kind a marathon at that point," Kades said.

Nancy is one of almost 450 mentally and physically impaired adults who were reported missing in L.A. County in 2016 alone.

cc49a11cbfe3076117ed3f75289bceb1.png

At the beginning of 2017, county Supervisors Janice Hahn and Kathryn Barger established the Bringing Our Loved Ones Home Task Force. It aims to bring together first responders and community organizations to create a countywide system for the recovery of missing adults who have dementia, Alzheimer's and autism. Nancy’s story was a motivation.

"There needs to be a better coordinated protocol for the family, who is already grieving, who shouldn’t have to bear this burden by themselves," Hahn said.

For now, Kirk keeps waiting for the phone call that will bring Nancy home.

"I never lose hope," Kirk said. "I keep hoping that I’m going to find her."

Video / 01:25
A 73-year-old hiker who had been missing for a week has been found alive in a California forest, authorities said Saturday.

Eugene Jo went missing on June 22 near Mount Waterman in the Angeles National Forest when he become separated from his hiking group, according to ABC News Los Angeles affiliate KABC.

by Jonathan Anderson, Journalist July 6, 2019
A vehicle belonging to a missing California mother has been found on a bridge hundreds of miles away from where she lived, FOX 40 reports.

Tiffany Clark, 38, was reported missing on Monday after her daughter, Michaela Haight, 18, said she last saw her mom Saturday night.

Haight had tried calling Clark the following day, only to have the calls go to voicemail.

“I start calling around to all the hospitals, all the jails, all the mental hospitals in every county, Calaveras County, Stanislaus County, everywhere around here trying to find her because nobody has seen her,” Haight said.

After she filed the missing person report on Monday, Haight was notified that her mother’s vehicle—a black Ford Ranger—had been located more than 300 miles away on a remote bridge near Six Rivers National Forest.

But her mother was nowhere to be found.

“A neighbor who lived in the area had located a suspicious vehicle parked in the middle of the Martin’s Ferry Bridge,” Samantha Karges of the Humboldt County Sheriff’s Office told the television station. “What made it suspicious for us was that all of Ms. Clark’s belongings were still inside of the vehicle.”

Authorities are searching the Klamath River and areas surrounding it for any signs of Clark.

For Haight, Clark’s only daughter, the experience has been a nightmare.

“I just, I really hope she comes home,” Haight said. “I just want everyone to just keep on praying and keep her in your prayers for me and my family.”

Clark is about 5 feet, 5 inches tall and weighs approximately 180 pounds. She has brown hair and brown eyes. She was last seen wearing black scrubs and black shoes in the Modesto area on June 29.

To report information about the Clark’s location, contact police at 707-445-7251.

Just finished watching the movie Missing 411 The Hunted and I really enjoyed it and recommend it. Most of the movie follows the standard Missing 411 missing persons profile, but the end of the movie takes an unexpected turn with an audio recording of an unknown lifeform (no one uses the term bigfoot), descriptions of light orbs, reenactments of a floating light rod and a blurry moving thing like the movie Predator. The very end of the movie is literally the definition of paranormal.

I like how David has stepped forward and implicitly linked the standard Missing 411 missing persons profile with these other hyperdimensional phenomenon. In one of his talks years ago, he recommended that people read the book Hunt for the Skinwalker, and the end of Missing 411 The Hunted brought together some of the elements from that book.

I think the newest docu with and about Paulides work The hunted is very well done. No over dramatic music and graphics and very well researched and presented.

Yes! Very well done and highly recommended! A good summary of the sheer strangeness of it all with excellent investigative and detective work presented and guided by Paulides. I especially liked that Paulides didn’t shy away from looking at others strange paranormal and UFO like activity in connection with the cases and areas involved and even makes a clear and convincing case for the paranormal nature of it at the end, even though the documentary just covers a very tiny fraction of cases. Very well done and highly informative.

Back
Top Bottom