Movie Review: Rendition - See it & Know.

Cyre2067

The Living Force
Saw this movie tonight and it was quite a shock. I did cry quite a lot, and for me that is unusual - though it does seem to be occurring with more and more frequency of late. A good sign I think. There is some residual, "Come'on stop crying...." and oddly associated shame which I was able to get a glimpse at. Anyway here's my review.

Cyre said:
rendition.jpg

Emotionally powerful, stunning, shocking, and able to bring you to tears, Rendition is a film about a very real, very factual policy of my government. The movie opens with an suicide bombing in some Middle Eastern country. We then follow the extraordinary rendition of Anwar El-Ibrahimi, husband, father, and chemical engineer. He is tangentially connected to the bombing, since his cell phone was seemingly called by one of the terrorists. He passes a lie detector test, he has no prior history of involvement with terrorism, nothing in his record or any other evidence connecting him. Yet he is rendered to a far away land, kept and tortured.

Throughout the film we also follow the story of the interrogator, a man seemingly possessing a conscience, but believing his work is necessary in order to save lives. He tortures people for information. He is also a father of two girls, and a husband. His eldest daughter was to be married to a man of his choosing, disagreeing, and falling in love with another boy from her school, she runs away from home and never returns.

We also witness Anwar's wifes tragic attempt to discover what has happened to her husband. We watch and hope, but see her parried left and right by bureaucracy all in the name of 'national security'.

I won't spoil it, because I believe this is a movie that needs to be seen. Allow me to explain why. In graphic detail, the movie demonstrates what exactly our government does. We watch as Anwar is stripped and beaten, crammed into a hole in the ground, kept nude and malnourished. We also watch as he is denied access to a lawyer, a court, a phone call to his wife. Everything our four fathers have fought and died for was taken away, all that America stands for - gone, just like that. We see waterboarding and electrocution, and their 'results'.

The acting is superb, quite some of the best I've seen in a long time - by all parts. Emotion can be conveyed in a silent moment, limbic resonance is palpable; we feel what they feel. It's one thing to read about torture, extraordinary rendition, denial of habeas corpus - quite another to see it, to feel it. We've become accustomed to intellectual discourse of these things, but the truth is that they are highly emotional acts and cannot be understood without their emotional component. This movie has the potential to give its viewers that missing piece. I never knew what these things meant until I saw them with my own eyes.

Fear, sadness, confusion, anger, frustration, rage, hate, love, pain, conscience... this movie is about them all. We're shown how torture, as a state policy, breeds terrorism. How violence, begets only more violence and we're shown the pain and suffering that accompany it. How lives are destroyed, family's broken - ripped apart and torn asunder by this insanity.

FDR once said, "In politics, nothing happens by accident. If it happens, you can bet it was planned that way." And here I beseech you dear reader to understand, this policy of our government is not intended to extract information, it's purpose was never to save lives, nor to protect our 'national security'. This policy of rendition and torture has only this purpose: to create enemies of the state - so that they can be fought ad infinitum - and to get it's victims to say what is required in order to justify more violence, more war.

I was shocked by this movie, it clearly shows what happens to men like Murat Kurnaz and thousands of other nameless, faceless victims of state policy. Innocent of any crime, they are treated in ways I cannot express in words. They are made objects, less then animals, vermin, we treat our furniture and automobiles better. This objectifying is actually a phenomenon observed in psychopaths, which demonstrates where the policy originated and who is pulling the strings.

It can't be any clearer, psychopaths rule our world. There is no compassion, nor love from our leaders, no understanding nor altruism. No desire to seek the truth and to share it. This is what they do, and unlike us they do not have a conscience. No self-doubt, no remorse, no ability to distinguish right from wrong. Until we awaken, and stop feeding their machine, this insanity will continue, claiming more lives, creating more tragedy, killing more, destroying more until it's inevitable end.

See this movie and know what it is we do to innocent people. I say we, because until we all speak up with one voice, until we all stop going to work and paying taxes, until we viscerally and seriously demand change we are all responsible. Nonviolent refusal to participate is the only way.
Published on my blog. Comments there are welcome and are always appreciated.

I just watched it last night. It was good and worth it. However, there are some typical "Hollywood" moments I could have done without........but non the less a great film, considering the topic.

Cyre,

I couldn't have written a better review.

I just saw this movie tonight, and searched for it here, in case it was not mentioned.

I highly recommend it, if only for the exemplary actions of a man of conscience who KNEW he was giving up his illusionary career for another human being that had been wronged.

I just watched this movie as well.

~SPOILER ALERT~

While there is a lot of 'accepted as truth' disinformation in the movie - the prolific (as usual) 'Arab suicide bombing propaganda' and a few unrealistic scenarios - (how many people who have been 'disappeared' show up on the front page of msm newspapers? How many high level officials have to 'answer' for it? How many of those 'disappeared' live to even try to recover, physically or mentally) -- -- aside from all that, I do think it's an important film.

I think it is important for two reasons - the first is that it introduces the subject matter into general 'popular' discourse, which is WAY overdue.

The second is that it does a fabulous job portraying the emotional effects of our national policy of torture on the real, innocent, human beings subjected to it. Witherspoon does a great job helping the viewer FEEL what it is like to lose a spouse to 'nothing' - he's just gone - no word, no trace, no recourse, no hope - just pure panic, no explanation and unfathomable loss.

This, I think, is this film's strength - the real human reactions to what is going on. Gyllenhaal plays a normal human being - the only fault in that role is that his solution would never happen - we don't live in 'easy way out' land. However - his reaction to the torture he must witness as 'business as usual' is extremely valuable - people NEED to see this.

Streep plays ignorant authoritarian 101 - myopic, power hungry, ignorant, mean and aimlessly vengeful - I say she's not a psychopath, but she is psychopathic - and it's up for debate - she sure acts like a classic psychopath, but there is something in her blind hatred and lack of control that hints at more underlying emotional disorder than that. No matter, though, she's a classic film villain and darn easy to hate as she coldly stares at a very pregnant woman who's pleading for information about her vanished husband.

It's not a 'fun' film, by any means - and there are LOTS of holes in it - but -- -- for one of the first 'big star, big budget' and in your face, using the word 'Rendition' forays into the 'Torture is US' subject matter, they could have done a lot worse. fwiw.

To day I saw this movie. it is very powerful. I felt it very balanced and very realistic. How so many plots keep on going at the same time with very few has exact knowledge, plots in US structure , how it gets mixed up with plots in muslim worlds , where a average emotional muslim leader converts its vengeance against a CIA brutal head and mixes it with Muslim Jihad.

The exact sentence on the back of DVD cover fits the plot perfectly " Desperate for the truth , his wife begins a search for the missing man which leads a CIA unit head and a novice agent into an international web of deceit , conspiracies and top-secret truths far more frightening than the lies that conceal them"

May be that is why they need fifty billion dollar Military Intellegence complex with all type of censors to the public in the name of national security with each person in the hierarchy step of the power pyramid is psychopathically playing the game with what ever the information they had. No chance for the normal conscious people unless they are ready to sacrifice themselves. With out the internet , we wouldn't have any chance of knowing this game.

The confessions of the torturers putting the blame on US officials to force the victims to confess what ever "US wants it" and at the same time ,all these rendition victims shown with all type of weird gears like masks, spectacles, etc. shows how MIC companies is using them as subjects for their experiments. God knows who is involved , what they are doing. Sickening.

This movie pretty much exposes to general public that this rendition exercise is only "confession manufacturing exercise" rather than the intelligence.

Cyre2067 said:
We're shown how torture, as a state policy, breeds terrorism.
Torture as a state policy is terrorism. The purpose of torture is to break the bonds
of community and social networks by fear and intimidation.
Cyre2067 said:
See this movie and know what it is we do to innocent people. I say we, because until we all speak up with one voice, until we all stop going to work and paying taxes, until we viscerally and seriously demand change we are all responsible. Nonviolent refusal to participate is the only way.
I am not resposible for torture. The psychopaths and the ponerized system torture. We are forced
to participate by extortion and intimidation. If you publically refuse to submit to supporting this coercive
system, you, your friends, and family will be subjected to intimidation and imprisonment. Torture is endemic in the US prison system. Life is not a movie.
psjegelgnt said:
This movie pretty much exposes to general public that this rendition exercise is only "confession manufacturing exercise" rather than the intelligence.
I have not seen the movie, but have considered torture and its implications on resistence to the
crimes of the state. It seems from the quote above, that this movie obscures the true nature and
objective of state torture. It is carried out in secret, officially denied, and similtaneouly confirmed
by "insider leaks". The population is confused, afraid and impotent to resist the depredations of
a system of slavery maintained by fear. I suspect this movie has contributed to the silent acceptence
and obfuscation of the impact of fear of torture on mankinds capacity for unified action. The horror
of extreme pain and its crippling physical and psychological impact on the individual appears to be
well presented, perhaps as a subtle form of complicity with the social control objective of torture.

Back
Top Bottom