Moving- Montreal, LA, west coast U$A?

D Rusak

Jedi Council Member
After much deliberation, I have decided that a strong step on the path of my personal evolution, as it were, will likely involve a move somewhere. This is something that I've come back to time and again...often not being sure if I was trying to avoid Work on myself, and not being sure if I wasn't little w working hard enough to get work in my field (I am a freelance musician). I've finally decided that my negative introject is the main "i" saying I would be moving to avoid Work- whatever problems I have in that area, I'm going to have them anywhere- it's up to me. I happen to live in a place where I've really tried hard to get myself integrated in the network of freelancers here, and it's just stagnant for the styles of music I do. I've given it 4 years, which I believe to be an adequate amount of time to determine if possibilities of (reasonably!) stable income are present here, and on my instrument, and in my genres, they are not. Also, the saying, "when the student is ready, the teacher appears," seems to have come true quite recently, in finding some individuals who will not only teach me on my instrument but help me to build a career.

This could involve me moving significantly far from "home". I'm not close to my family, so that is not a concern for me. I have spent my entire life within an hour of the place I grew up, and it seems like now is a good time to try something new (I'm in my mid 20's). The two places where I know that a lot of music that I play goes on are the LA area, and also Montreal. LA is attractive to me because of a teacher connection and the climate, Montreal seems culturally vibrant, and of course is not in the US. I was afraid for a while that this "escaping" the US was a factor in my preference, but it really does seem to correlate with my career aspirations. And I think that since I've decided to be a musician, I should try to be an obyvatel within that field- doing what I need to do to make a decent living.

So....I would love any input from residents/former residents of Southern California and Montreal. Also, I'm open to other suggestions- some other towns I was thinking of were Seattle and Portland (would be a bigger fish in a smaller pond, hopefully). I don't have teacher/mentor connections in those towns, however. If you want to just send me a PM, that's fine too- don't want to create excess noise here.

Thanks all.

PS- I am not planning on moving until late summer/fall of next year, when my rental lease expires. My hope is that I will have plenty of "time" to make a decision, unaffected by any political/cometary paranoia.

For some reason, after reading what the C's said about "Puget Sound"
area, I'd think that Seattle might be a bit scarier - "thumping underground",
but that is just me.

I know that the future is open, but still - just the thought that if it
were to be true: 110m Tsunami, Mt. Rainier is a cauldron, 10.9
earthquake, etc... but I dunno what to think - but just a tad
concerned.

I live in the Portland area and I know there are *lots* of fault lines
here and not really that far away from Seattle (~300 mi), closer to
St. Helens (who knows if it will blow) and closer still to Mt. Hood (an
active volcano 75mi from Portland) - but still - it is a very nice area to
live in if you like rain (lots of it, but less than Seattle), and cooler
weather, less sun(burns) than say California. The coast is also ~75mi
from Portland. Rent is "high" depending where you live and if you can
find a place to rent - but I guess it depends on your earnings to pay
for it. I know - I own a home and pay for my daughter's rent so I have
a good idea what it costs but if you rent a house with say 3+ rooms,
the cost goes down a little bit - and utilities can be spendy unless you
learn to be frugal, wear warm clothes (in the winter), and recycle, it
should keep the costs down a little. If you live in the city, there is
bicycle paths, public transportation, the "MAX", you really don't need
a car (with insurance, high gas costs, etc.) and you should be fine.

Well - I guess that just briefly explains Portland.

FWIW,
Dan

Yes, I most definitely recall what the C's said about Mt Rainer/Puget Sound...and of course, earthquakes in Cali. I'm trying to make the best decision apart from things I've learned via C's/Laura/SOTT, and then seeing how I feel about it. I think the most important thing is to be paying attention wherever I am, of course one does not want to blindly walk off a cliff, either....

D Rusak said:
This could involve me moving significantly far from "home". I'm not close to my family, so that is not a concern for me. I have spent my entire life within an hour of the place I grew up, and it seems like now is a good time to try something new (I'm in my mid 20's). The two places where I know that a lot of music that I play goes on are the LA area, and also Montreal. LA is attractive to me because of a teacher connection and the climate, Montreal seems culturally vibrant, and of course is not in the US. I was afraid for a while that this "escaping" the US was a factor in my preference, but it really does seem to correlate with my career aspirations. And I think that since I've decided to be a musician, I should try to be an obyvatel within that field- doing what I need to do to make a decent living.

Why don't you try a move to LA first and see what your teacher can teach you? If, at a later date you want to move to Montreal, or out of the US you can. Sometimes its easier to take 'bigger' steps, if you have taken the 'smaller' ones, first.

Hi

I grew up in S. Cal, 50 miles from LA. Terrible territory! When I moved to Berkeley in the 60's, finally realised I'd been in culture shock all my life til then. Awareness of politics arose. After 7 yrs, emigrated to Canada (BC) to escape escalating Yankee fascism.

I lived in several places on west coast of BC, did university, worked various jobs, got to know hundreds of people. From my experience, US was relative hell, Canada is still relative heaven.

For example, Vancouver BC is clean & beautiful, very multicultural, has a lively diversified music scene. Food is inexpensive (even free - a poster outside one police station lists many free meal venues!) Only problem is housing. I know of one room with shared kitchen/bathroom for $445/month (but free unlimited internet connection.)

Good luck (or better, discernment) in your quest, & may your music bloom!

ayamaya

D Rusak said:
If you want to just send me a PM, that's fine too- don't want to create excess noise here.

Don't worry. With all those upheavals and this growing crisis, many people are thinking about relocation so the discussion you initiated is useful.

In addition we don't encourage PM in order to protect forum members.

Concerning your relocation dilemma another factor you might consider is community / networking.

With those difficult times ahead, mutual support, shared ressources, help, exchange might become very useful.

Man, this is a good sign at least. I was just offered a job that ends right before I plan to move (gives me a month to tie up things). It fits in with my other work schedule, doesn't take a whole lot of time (10-15hrs), but doubles my total salary. I've never been able to save up, which would be good to do before a move.

ayamaya- $445 a month sounds like a pretty good deal- I know people who pay twice that for a room, and that's in Filthadelphia. You can imagine what NYC and Boston prices are. (NB- most places in Philly are much much cheaper).

Bellibaste- community/networking is a big concern. In the last year I feel that I've definitely developed a network of people here, I think in time of trouble, we would all help each other out. Which makes me nervous moving to a place where I would know very few people. I think though that I've learned a lot about how to act around people/make friends/etc. so it would not be as hard in another place compared with a couple of years ago, for instance (yay Work!)

Belibaste said:
Don't worry. With all those upheavals and this growing crisis, many people are thinking about relocation so the discussion you initiated is useful
Well said Belibaste.. Lots of folks I know are considering moving now, times changing and all...

I agree with ayamaya here. If you're going to be in California at least go north. In the last few years I've spent quite a bit of time living and working around LA/Orange County and would not recommend anyone moving there. At least check it out first before cutting ties as it's easy to romantisize and see through rose-colored glasses This area is the belly-of-the-beast imho, and I made the decision a couple of years ago to leave California and the u s as well. One of the best decisions I've ever made.

That being said, if an opportunity presented itself that you feel was key to your own growth and you 'just knew it', the risk of living in such an unstable area may be outweighed.

It might also be important to open your mind to the idea of 'following' your music to an area you have yet to think of. Pay attention to hints that come your way? It took somebody to bring a new genre to any given area.

BTW, D Rusak, what is the genre of music you are playing/interested in?

I play several styles of music- some of which I would like to be playing more. My training is in classical music. There aren't all that many orchestras around here, and the scene is very closed to new players as far as classical free-lancing goes. Long story, but that's the main thing I'd be addressing via a move. I also play klezmer and Eastern European music, I'd like to spend more time playing these styles for more money, but I could probably do that anywhere where there is a diverse population. Continuing to do the E. Euro stuff is key for my musical mental health, it's what I'm really passionate about. I really would like to be doing studio work and Latin gigs, there just aren't a lot of gigs for that here. I also play renaissance instruments, there's hardly any work for that here in Philly, and surprisingly not all that much for it (at least the instruments I play) in NYC either- and people have had those gigs locked up for 10 yrs at least. I haven't found a network of people here who would like to start a group.

I had thought about moving to E Europe at one point to study the music more, but I finally decided (at least, at the time) that the way to do it was through teaching English, and that I wasn't interested in doing that. I prefer to be spending my day playing music, even if it's not great music, to doing a "day job" and then playing at night. My practice suffers, I get frustrated, I sound bad, lather, rinse, repeat. Also I don't know anyone there, and I'm interested in moving to a place where there will be someone who can connect me to gigs.

Back
Top Bottom