NASA, Global Astronomers Await Rare Nova Explosion

JGeropoulas

The Living Force

A bright nova — an explosion from a collapsed star known as a white dwarf — occurs in the Milky Way’s Corona Borealis constellation’s “Blaze Star” about every 80 years, according to NASA. The constellation, also known as the Northern Crown, is home to T Coronae Borealis, which was nicknamed the Blaze Star for its recurring bright light.

“It’s a once-in-a-lifetime event that will create a lot of new astronomers out there. Hounsell, an assistant research scientist specializing in nova events at the space agency’s Goddard Space Flight Center in Maryland, noted that astronomers do not “typically” see a repeated outburst in a human lifetime “and rarely one so relatively close to our own system. It’s incredibly exciting to have this front-row seat,” she added.

According to William J. Cooke from NASA’s Meteoroid Environments Office, the Blaze Star is one of just ten recurrent novae in the galaxy. Its last eruption was in 1946 — the year of the first United Nations meeting.

The nova was first recorded in 1217 by a German monk named Abbott Burchard, according to NASA.

Here's a little more on how to find the location in the night sky. It'd be a nice idea to identify the stars of the Corona Borealis constellation for a while until a "new star" appears
The easiest way is to use Stellarium, set the local position and local time, search for the star (T CrB) and constellation, and go outside to locate them. It's fun :)

Last edited:
Hi guys,

Just came across this article tonight during my daily round up, and I thought it was a rather interesting one, there's a cosmic phenomena being expected sometime this year before September.

Around the world this summer, professional and amateur astronomers alike will be fixed on one small constellation deep in the night sky. But it’s not the seven stars of Corona Borealis, the “Northern Crown,” that have sparked such fascination.

It’s a dark spot among them where an impending nova event – so bright it will be visible on Earth with the naked eye – is poised to occur.

It’s a once-in-a-lifetime event that will create a lot of new astronomers out there, giving young people a cosmic event they can observe for themselves, ask their own questions, and collect their own data,” said Dr. Rebekah Hounsell, an assistant research scientist specializing in nova events at NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Maryland. “It’ll fuel the next generation of scientists.”

Finding T Coronae Borealis​

findhercules-nsn896.jpg

The first recorded sighting of the T CrB nova was more than 800 years ago, in autumn 1217, when a man named Burchard, abbot of Ursberg, Germany, noted his observance of “a faint star that for a time shone with great light.”

The T CrB nova was last seen from Earth in 1946. Its behavior over the past decade appears strikingly similar to observed behavior in a similar timeframe leading up to the 1946 eruption. If the pattern continues, some researchers say, the nova event could occur by September 2024.

novacyg093500952-print.jpg

A red giant star and white dwarf orbit each other in this animation of a nova similar to T Coronae Borealis. The red giant is a large sphere in shades of red, orange, and white, with the side facing the white dwarf the lightest shades. The white dwarf is hidden in a bright glow of white and yellows, which represent an accretion disk around the star. A stream of material, shown as a diffuse cloud of red, flows from the red giant to the white dwarf. When the red giant moves behind the white dwarf, a nova explosion on the white dwarf ignites, creating a ball of ejected nova material shown in pale orange. After the fog of material clears, a small white spot remains, indicating that the white dwarf has survived the explosion.
NASA/Goddard Space Flight Center

I was reading the description from NASA. It reminds me about the twin sun hypothesis of our solar system.

Will it be similar to what will happen if the companion star comes closer to our sun? Our sun will discharge and send material to the companion star so that a nova event may happen at one point.

Then it should be quite visible🤔

i have been thinking about this event. i was watching a blokes patreon where he was talking about this event possibly co-insiding with an issue in the money system. I cant share the video as it was a patreon account. But the main jist was , the previous two recorded events of the T Coronae Borealis happening where February 9th 1946 and May 12 1866. 9th of Feb was the date Stalin gave a speech about the incompatibility of communisim and capatilism. Beginnings of the cold war. The following date, May 12, 1866 a large finanical panic in happened in london. His premise was that billionares use astrology when it comes to getting things happening and so his thesis was that this event could be another such event. Also pretty interesting given the market crash and the issues Japan are having. Will be interesting to see if a global event happens on the same day as the exploding star.

Back
Top Bottom