Need help with building a pulley system to lift my HBOT on a platform

meadow_wind

Jedi Master
I don't have space to install my Hyperbaric Chamber, so it's been sitting it boxed since I've received it...
I had the idea to build a platform so I could lift it in storage to the ceiling. This also means I won't be able to install its metal frame inside it, otherwise it's too big to store up there.

My dad came to help me and we managed to fix something nice. I had previously searched YouTube and the web on how to make a pulley system, and I ended up choosing one based on a blog, but when I tried it this morning, it does not work properly: it's too heavy to lift and 2 pulleys touch each other...
I'm not good at DIY handyman woodwork stuff. My dad is, but he does not know anything about pulleys, so he followed my poor instructions lol

Here is what I tried to do:
Pulley 01.jpg

Since I'm lacking space, here is what I've done. It's exactly like the picture except for the distance of the double pulley near the wall.
My platform is attached exactly like that, I'm using 2 single pulleys, 1 double pulley, and 2 ropes.

_DSC2479.JPG_DSC2480.JPG

My first idea was to ask Chat GPT to see if it could help. He told me to place my double pulley in between the 2 single pulleys (they are placed on top of each end of the platform). That way, it would reduce the load by 75%.

But when he explains how to thread the rope, it makes no sense (he forgets to attach one end of the platform), he gives me diagrams that are different from his description, etc, etc, etc. I kept prompting it to correct its errors with no success. All it knows to do is to apologize...
So here I am, hoping someone may be able to help 🤓 🪛

How should I make this for it to work? Do I put the double pulley in the center? Should I buy more pulley to make another better system?
I can't find anything like the one I did on YouTube, they all have different setups. One of those setup I almost did:

02.jpg

p.s. There is no more double pulley at the hardware store at the moment, I bought the last one...

Here is a diagram I poorly made in Photoshop of a possible setup, if I buy a 3rd Single pulley while moving my double pulley at the center as per GPT instructions. But I have no clue if this would work or not:
03.jpg

Last edited:
I don't have space to install my Hyperbaric Chamber, so it's been sitting it boxed since I've received it...
I had the idea to build a platform so I could lift it in storage to the ceiling. This also means I won't be able to install its metal frame inside it, otherwise it's too big to store up there.

I have no idea about how to build a platform but my questions would be:

Is it just for storage and if yes maybe you can just built a shelve for that?
Do you have the intention to use it and if yes at what frequency ?

I have no idea about how to build a platform but my questions would be:

Is it just for storage and if yes maybe you can just built a shelve for that?
Do you have the intention to use it and if yes at what frequency ?

Some other questions: Is it only for the chamber? And where do you keep the modules (compressor, etc.)?

The platform is already build with wood and covered with fabric to avoid splinters.
I only need help with pulley system. I just came back from the store, bought one more single pulley and will try an alternative setup.
It will be used only for the chamber which is 35 lbs + platform 20 lbs. All other components will remain on the floor.
The intention is to use it 5 times per week as per protocol, and I though it would be much easier to store on a movable platform with pulleys that would reduce the weight of it.
The model I bought is Oxyrevo.
I'll post more pictures if I succeed with the system.

Here is my failed attempt at adding a 3rd pulley at one end of the platform (circled in red)...
Now it only lifts one side of the platform :headbash:

05.jpg

Maybe I'm just stating the obvious, you already thought about, built it that way:
  • the rope needs to have the ability to lift the minimum weight of everything
  • the same goes for the main wall anchor, which holds everything up, and the other anchors in the ceiling
  • the current rope looks pretty thin, expecting it will be much heavier with the chamber, you may need gloves
  • in case the rope is touching something, you may need to add some rolls in between and that are looked (see picture below)
  • the construction from your first picture in the first post appears to be correct, but you always have to balance the two ropes
15mm - 65mm Seilrolle mit Öse - Seilblock - Blockseilrollen verzinkt

A luxury version, would be using a wench. But they can be costly :-).

Here is my failed attempt at adding a 3rd pulley at one end of the platform (circled in red)...
Now it only lifts one side of the platform :headbash:

View attachment 98725
Add a single pulley to the end that is currently not lifting, and connect the rope that passes through it back to the anchor on the ceiling on the same side. That should fix the issue and make it feel lighter, though you will need to pull more length of rope to get it up, but it should be a fairly comfortable pull, theoretically 25lb.

The way you have it set up now you have a mechanical advantage on one side but not the other (moving pulley).

Gosh, I hate doing that kind of work... I found a way to lift the platform evenly, but the weight is not being reduced, and as you said, the ropes are thin and hurt like hell. Even with gloves, I wasn't able to lift it (with the added weight of the chamber on it).
Here's the schematic I used to make it work (Pulleys A & B on schematic is my double pulley):

06.jpg07.jpg

The platform is already build with wood and covered with fabric to avoid splinters.
I only need help with pulley system. I just came back from the store, bought one more single pulley and will try an alternative setup.
It will be used only for the chamber which is 35 lbs + platform 20 lbs. All other components will remain on the floor.
The intention is to use it 5 times per week as per protocol,

Have you considered using a platform for things or objects that are lighter and that you do not use as often?
5 times a week to play with that platform might be quite harrsaing for a long period.
Maybe you can look, if you have not done it yet, for other solutions like special bags for clothes...

Screenshots_2024-07-23-15-47-05.png
For clarity, pulley at location 1, fixed end to the platform, rope going through it (2) up to where the pulley is on top (3) and tied off to the anchor. Make sure everything is screwed in deeply into a structural member that can hold the weight, not just finishing materials. Hope that helps!

5 times a week to play with that platform might be quite harrsaing for a long period.
I know right? I just have no idea where to store the chamber. It's quite huge, even when folded. It takes all the space.
Here's how it looks like:
_DSC2484.JPG

For clarity, pulley at location 1, fixed end to the platform, rope going through it (2) up to where the pulley is on top (3) and tied off to the anchor. Make sure everything is screwed in deeply into a structural member that can hold the weight, not just finishing materials.
Thanks for the drawing. Have you seen my latest post with the schematic in white and blue? Is that the same thing you want me to do? Or are you trying to make me do something different?
No worries about the screwing: I bought anchors that support 85 lbs to screw in. I don't want to receive the ceiling on my head 🤣

Looks like you posted while I was writing. If it's still too heavy, you could replace the single pulleys on top and bottom with doubles and get more mechanical advantage but might need more rope, or buy a small hand crank winch, mount to the wall, and pull the rope in that way rather than by bare hand

Back
Top Bottom