New Forum layout April 2018

I am slowly getting acquainted to the new look and feel, and it's growing on me :-)

Like others have previously mentioned, as technology changes, so must we adapt and evolve. I agree with Yas, it seems to have made the Forum come alive. I can only imagine the hours of hard work that has gone on behind the scenes, let alone fixing little bugs as they are discovered and responding to issues with the new layout, so a HUGE thank you to Scottie! All your hard work is very much appreciated!

Just thought I'd chip in and say that the embed video still works as it used to, so imbedding videos is the same!

to embed just use the [ ] with embed in the middle before link and [/] after quote

Screen Shot 2018-04-05 at 9.19.55 am.png

example

https://youtu.be/NL_MtPXdV74

Just thought I'd chip in and say that the embed video still works as it used to, so imbedding videos is the same!

You can do that but it's not necessary, for YouTube (and some other sites, I forget which, you can test others by previewing your post content) you can just paste in the URL and the forum software detects the link and that it's YouTube and automagically embeds the video.

Plus, the old forum didn't support mobile devices. This was not easy to do myself. On SOTT, 50% of readers are on smartphones or tablets. NOT supporting mobile devices fully is a bad idea in this day and age.

Just to get HTTPS working on the old forum, I had to hack it. I had to hack a lot of things to keep it running nicely because it wasn't being kept up-to-date by the developers.

Just a couple of things you mentioned are pretty big, and many peeps propably (I know I can't) know the depth and breadth of keeping an old motor running that has little interface with new tech mechanics in our BBM. Amazing you got it this far - and that is over many years work. :thup:

I don't think anyone of IT outsiders like me can fully appreciate the work that had to be and has been done in order to revitalize the Forum system. Thank you very much Scottie for your care so we all can be using the platform. I have read all your reasoning about what was needed, why it was not possible to stay with the old system etc. It totally makes sense. Looking forward to all new features that will be incorporated in future. Take your time!

And although I am a slow learner, I am actually glad that this big change was initiated. It stimulates all of us to rethink many things and ways that we had been doing and using on the old system - it's a very welcome kick for the brain!

Besides that, any hidden trolls and negative forces that might be here just to disturb the network (and I there are such), are now put into a state of pain because whatever system they had for lurking, they have to rework it too. Think of it as if the playing field was levelled and we are the ones who are at least one step ahead - they have to wait and react so they are not in control ;-)

Have you solved the problem of French / English translations that appear on the forum in French / French with DEEPL?... Thank you...

Avez vous solutionner le problème des traductions Français / Anglais qui s'affichent sur le forum en Français / Français avec DEEPL ?... Merci...

I am obliged to copy/paste your texts and translate them with DEEPL to understand them then always in DEEPL write my comment and copy/paste the English translation on the new forum...

Je suis obligée de copier/coller vos textes et les traduire avec DEEPL pour les comprendre puis toujours dans DEEPL ecrire mon commentaire et copier/coller la traduction en Anglais sur le nouveau forum...

You can do that but it's not necessary, for YouTube (and some other sites, I forget which, you can test others by previewing your post content) you can just paste in the URL and the forum software detects the link and that it's YouTube and automagically embeds the video.

I finally managed to find the list of sites that work with "auto-embed":

Apple Music
Dailymotion
Facebook
Flickr
Giphy
Imgur
Instagram
Liveleak
Metacafe
Pinterest
Reddit
SoundCloud
Spotify
Tumblr
Twitch
Twitter
Vimeo
YouTube

For any others, you can still use the old embed method as noted. Mostly, that's just for supporting existing old embeds in old posts, but it still works.

It looks really good Scottie! :thup:
On the point of themes, I did look to see if I could just modify the existing CSS and send it back/re-post it - but it looks like it uses the interface to do everything, so that would be duplicating work.
Video from the support forum here:

I am obliged to copy/paste your texts and translate them with DEEPL to understand them then always in DEEPL write my comment and copy/paste the English translation on the new forum...

Je suis obligée de copier/coller vos textes et les traduire avec DEEPL pour les comprendre puis toujours dans DEEPL ecrire mon commentaire et copier/coller la traduction en Anglais sur le nouveau forum...

What software are you using to view the forum? DEEPL doesn't seem to have an automatic page translation.

Quel logiciel utilisez-vous pour visionner le forum ? DEEPL ne semble pas avoir de traduction automatique des pages.

Back
Top Bottom