Newbie Qs

E

epona

Hi everyone!

Thanks for putting info about Mr. Gurdjieff on this site, this is my first exposure to his ideas. So, I had to check out his books 2 and 3 from the library. It has been amazing to come across a man who was able to figure out all the things that he did way back then. Have read 3 and starting on 2 now. In the end of 3 he gives the most wonderful description of the 100th monkey I ever read. And he stopped at the most interesting piece! However, I feel this was done on purpose in order for his work to survive until it was needed. So, yet again, he accomplishes several things with one action. Amazing.

I find myself agreeing totally with everything read so far, and feel like I have come home.

Questions:

1. In book 3, he talks about having to 'fix' a group of people that 'looked pasty' and were 'candidates for the madhouse' and felt obligated to undo this situation because they had supported him financially thru hard times. From what is written, it seems that they were just doing the 'inner observing' thing. So what is wrong with that? Why would that make them candidates for the looney bin? This was Orage's group, and supposedly he knew what he was doing, what happened?

Note: Strangely enough, I came across a comment on the internet (by apparently a Muslim) that had done a study of G's followers and also said that they 'all looked pasty'. Which leads me to think that in using G's techniques, they are powerful and can direct energy. I have to be careful in the energy department and want to avoid the above bad affect.

2. I came across the fact that Beelzebub has 2 main version out - the original, and the updated. Both claim having the stamp of approval from Mr. Gurdjieff. I read that he 'left some notes' after he died. So I am not sure which one really is the most correct. Does anyone here know more about this so I can make an informed decision?

3. Also, does anyone feel the index book is really helpful in studying book 1?

4. What was Gurdjieff's take on Jesus? I read something that indicated he deferred the Judas/Jesus explanation to a later time by Bennett. Bennett indicated Gurdjieff felt Judas was the ultimate/closest initiate of Jesus. This leads me to believe that Gurdjieff believes Jesus was a true person. Pardon, but didn't I read somewhere on this site that Gurdjieff didn't believe in the fact that Jesus existed, and he was only kowtowing in order for his work to survive?

5. I realize he felt the current generation was unable to fully implement his teachings and wrote them down as a future time capsule teaching (which we desperately need today!). Based on the fact he had several main students that wrote books, are there ones NOT to get, or ones that are 'mostly ok'?

Thanks in advance!

epona said:
1. In book 3, he talks about having to 'fix' a group of people that 'looked pasty' and were 'candidates for the madhouse' and felt obligated to undo this situation because they had supported him financially thru hard times. From what is written, it seems that they were just doing the 'inner observing' thing. So what is wrong with that? Why would that make them candidates for the looney bin? This was Orage's group, and supposedly he knew what he was doing, what happened?
What Orage was doing overall (and his students' disposition) is discussed to some extent in G's book "Life Is Only Real Then When I Am."

Note: Strangely enough, I came across a comment on the internet (by apparently a Muslim) that had done a study of G's followers and also said that they 'all looked pasty'. Which leads me to think that in using G's techniques, they are powerful and can direct energy. I have to be careful in the energy department and want to avoid the above bad affect.
Don't you find curious how this "comment" you found, has leaved you? Do you think perhaps the "bad effect" has not gived you chance to avoid it?

Interesting, you write this note right after your question #1. And regarding your questions, have you searched the site to try to find answers? You will find there are more thigns to learn than the aspects you point.

Back
Top Bottom