"Nuclear" - documentary from Oliver Stone

unkl brws

Dagobah Resident
I saw this posting from Oliver Stone on FB about his upcoming documentary film "Nuclear" to be released on Sept. 9th of this year. It looks interesting enough to view it when it comes out:
I’m proud to finally announce that “Nuclear,” my latest documentary, will premiere at the Venice Film Festival on September 9th. I’ve been working on this for almost two years with the enormous help of Joshua Goldstein, coauthor of “A Bright Future.” By now, I’m sure you know that this is an argument in favor of nuclear energy as the realistic solution to the gulf we now face in the production of clean energy for our continuing existence here on the planet Earth. This is an energy that will not only save the planet but allow us to thrive upon it. And although it’s long regarded in popular culture as dangerous, it is, in fact, far safer than coal, oil, and gas. The documentary, at 1-hour-45-minutes, gets into the details but doesn’t sink into all the petty arguments that the anti-nuclear crowd throws at it. Renewables like wind and solar work to a limited degree, but by now, we should know they don’t come close to fixing the problem alone -- which is why the fossil fuel companies support renewables. Because they inevitably require large amounts of methane gas to ensure their reliability.
I believe this is the greatest story of our time. We must use science and our brains to overcome this ultimate challenge given to us by nature.
We’ll be making the film more and more available on domestic platforms as we get closer to its release.
1659533744319.png

Oliver Stone: Unraveling the DANGERS of Seeking the Truth...

44 min
march 2023

the show,today , we have three-time Oscar® winner Oliver Stone, easily one of the most influential and iconic writers/directors in the history of cinema. Throughout his legendary career, Stone has served as a writer, director, and producer on a variety of films, documentaries, and television movies. His films have been nominated for forty-two Oscars® and have won twelve.

Stone says his films are

"first and foremost dramas about individuals in personal struggles,"

and considers himself a dramatist rather than a political filmmaker. Politics definitely are a subject matter he enjoys making movies about. 2008's W., a film about American President George W. Bush, was the first film released about a sitting president in history. This film wrapped up his trilogy on the presidency, which he started with JFK and Nixon.

During our epic conversation, we discuss his legendary career, working with the Hollywood system, his time in Vietnam, struggling as a screenwriter, how he deals with rejection, and his amazing new book Chasing the Light: Writing, Directing, and Surviving Platoon, Midnight Express, Scarface, Salvador, and the Movie Game.

Chasing the Light is an intimate memoir by the controversial and outspoken Oscar-winning director and screenwriter about his complicated New York childhood, volunteering for combat, and his struggles and triumphs in making such films as Platoon, Midnight Express, and Scarface.

stone, now 73, recounts those formative years with in-the-moment details of the high and low moments: We see meetings with Al Pacino over Stone’s scripts for Scarface, Platoon, and Born on the Fourth of July; the harrowing demon of cocaine addiction following the failure of his first feature, The Hand (starring Michael Caine); his risky on-the-ground research of Miami drug cartels for Scarface; his stormy relationship with The Deer Hunter director Michael Cimino; the breathless hustles to finance the acclaimed and divisive Salvador; and tensions behind the scenes of his first Academy Award-winning film, Midnight Express.

Chasing the Light is a true insider’s look at Hollywood’s years of upheaval in the 1970s and ’80s. I highly recommend every filmmaker and screenwriter read this gem. Click here to read the book.

The main themes I took away from speaking to Oliver were struggling and fight. No matter how successful he got, no matter what heights he reached in Hollywood, Oliver Stone had to fight to get each remarkable film in his filmography on the screen.

I hope this conversation inspires filmmakers and screenwriters to never give up. Oliver struggled for years, taking jobs as a production assistant, cab driver, office assistant, and any other gig he could find to help him survive while he was chasing his dream. He wrote and wrote, meeting his goal of one to two screenplays a year, no matter what. Never give up, never surrender. As Oliver says

"Either you're born crazy, or you're born boring "

Back
Top Bottom