Odd Coyote behavior

Gimpy

The Living Force
Hubby and I live out in the country, and it's common knowledge that we have coyotes in the area. Usually, no one hears from them unless its garbage eve near a subdivision. They are generally too smart to be seen by people out here.

This evening (about 9:30pm) I heard a chorus of coyotes yipping, howling, and snarling. It sounded upward of a dozen animals, and it was close by. I yelled to my Hubby and he went outside to the back porch to listen, then brought our dog inside. That many coyotes could figure out a fence, and we didn't want to take a chance.
(Coyotes will kill lone dogs, that big of a pack would be too much for Dex)

Once Hubby and I were on the back porch together, it quit. Total Silence.

To be sure we put on shoes and took flashlights and checked around the cars and near the fence. Nothing.

Now, it is deer season here, but no one hunts after dark. If a pack did find a deer downed by someone earlier in the day, that would be a factor. I'm going to call around tomorrow and ask the neighbors about it.

Anyone else notice oddness of this nature?

Gimpy
who carries a big stick after dark
for just such issues

last fall, a couple of friends of mine (who don't know each other and live in the country, but far away from one another) has noted strange behaviors of coyotes. Basically, being more brazen, visible and vocal than is usual for them. I personally saw one by the highway within city limits. We are in the Midwest.

About twelve years ago, the city of Vancouver had problems with coyotes moving into the city's burbs and becoming aggressive towards, as well as ignoring, humans; One even tried to drag an infant from it's yard, and attacking pets, even when on a leash).
In South Central Saskatchewan, where I now live, moose, elk, cougar, pronghorn antelope, sightings are an almost everyday occurrence, with even the odd sighting of bear, and once of a wolverine. When I left this area in '68, the only large wild animals were white-tailed deer and coyotes. Now coyotes frequent the edge of the city and raid mall dumpsters and frequently kill pets.
I wonder if this change in wild animal behavior has something to do with the Wave.

Gimpy;

No comment on the behaviour you mentioned, but I am laughing now about something recent, thanks
for triggering the memory.

I run into coyotes a lot climbing in the high desert East of LA. Usually they stay clear of us, but two years ago,
we discovered that they may have a penchant for Italian food. I had cooked Puttanesca over the fire which
involved anchovies. We put the empty cans into the usual plastic garbage bag along with the usual beer cans,
etc. The smell of those anchovy cans drove them nuts! They got the courage up to drag the bag away right in
front of us! Later we found the empty anchovy cans licked sparkling clean!

db

Redrock 12 said:
One even tried to drag an infant from it's yard

I have observed wildlife and hunted for forty years, and nothing mentioned above is unusual coyote
behavior, except Redrock 12's quote. Redrock 12, could you please document this event? I have never
heard of a coyote attacking humans of any age.

Americans are moving into suburban and country environments, encroaching on coyote habitat. This accounts for most of the city dwellers surprise at normal coyote behavior. Barbara Kingsolver's Prodigal Summer chronicles a city girl's experience studying coyotes in the Appalachain Mountains for any who wish to educate themselves on normal coyote behavior, while enjoying a good read.

Coyotes are beautiful and free animals. They are one of the few animals which will chew off a leg to escape a trap. The packs are organized around a dominate female, who has the pups. She will vary the number of pups, depending upon the population density of coyotes and their food, which is mostly small rodents. All adults in the pack feed and train the young pups.

The coyote chorus is a joy to hear, especially on an autumn evening with the moon full and the coyote family preparing to hunt. I hope all here enjoy the sight and sounds of these wonderful animals, and not view them as dangerous predators. They will eat domesticated dogs and cats, but should pets be allowed to run wild without the skills to survive?

The American Indians appreciate the trickster qualities coyotes exhibit. I bet they were grinning ear to ear,
as they observed the humans rushing to and fro in response to the coyote chorus. :D

I live on the edge of a small town. A few years ago, I heard a noise in my backyard, looked out the window and saw a coyote toss one of my cats up in the air. Without thought, I ran out the back door, yelling and growling...the coyote dropped my cat and ran. I got the cat to the vet right away - he only had a few puncture wounds and is alive and well to this day.

Later, I wondered what would have happened if the coyote had challenged me for the cat.

As mankind “civilizes” more and more undeveloped land, I think perhaps there is less area for animals to live what could be called natural lives. They hear man, they smell man, and they see man. I believe we (as a whole) just do not notice/see this, for a myriad of reasons I am sure. As predatorial creatures lose hunting grounds, perhaps the number of prey “out there” are also becoming fewer in numbers. Perhaps the predator survival instinct demands their investigations of man and that allows them to be more visible.
For example check out the following:

[quote author= shanghaiist 2007] Each year, a few people will be drowned mysteriously in Huadu's Furong Reservoir. It was not until recently when the brother of a certain official went swimming in the reservoir with his friend and were drowned that the secret was unravelled! It's a 3 metre long man-eating catfish whose head alone is 1 metre wide! After cutting up the catfish people were surprised to find the remains of a man inside![/quote]
Please note the pictures are graphic…
_http://shanghaiist.com/2007/08/11/amazingly_huge.php

or this…

[quote author= thaindian 2008] Lakhimpur Kheri (UP), May 10 (ANI): Irate residents on Friday burnt alive a man-eater leopard at Bilahar village in Lakhimpur Kheri District in Uttar Pradesh.
According to the villagers, the leopard had killed five people since December and injured several others. [/quote]
_http://www.thaindian.com/newsportal/india-news/man-eater-leopard-burnt-alive-in-uttar-pradesh_10047090.html

and this last data of many offerings:

[quote author= brisbanetimes 2008] A crocodile suspected of killing holidaymaker Arthur Booker in far north Queensland will not be put down.Police are awaiting DNA tests to confirm the identity of a man's remains found in the stomach of a 4.3m crocodile captured on the Endeavour River near Cooktown. [/quote]
_http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/news/queensland/maneating-croc-wont-be-put-down/2008/10/13/1223749935620.html

To me, a predator is a predator. This is their nature and should never be underestimated. Learn what you can about your surround area, this is definitely where the saying applies:
KNOWLEDGE PROTECTS

Re: my statement "one even tried to drag an infant from it's yard."
This incident was reported on BCTV (British Columbia TV) news about twelve years ago when the city of Vancouver was experiencing what news commentators described as a coyote invasion of the city. That's my documented source, go2.
The report also mentioned that they seemed to be losing their fear of humans because some people were putting out food for them, and they weren't being hunted, at the time anyway.
The same report also mentioned one incident-an interview-where a coyote stood on its hind legs at a kitchen window and stared at a woman for a number of minutes.
In Southern Saskatchewan, where I now live, there is an abundance of prey for coyotes owing to an exploding richardson's ground squirrel (better known as gophers) population. As well, all wild animal populations are increasing because there are significantly fewer hunters. And the coyotes probably find it a lot easier to find food in dumpsters rather than having to expend a lot more energy hunting for it. As well, they don't get shot at in the city limits, because it's illegal to discharge a firearm within the city limits. And people in Moose Jaw find them more of a curiosity than a danger, which they probably are. As well, Moose Jaw only has a population of 35,000. Also, what was once a predominantly rural province has become increasingly urbanized. And, until recently, Saskatchewan was actually depopulating for various reasons.
The population was, until recently, only 800,000 people. And it's a big province.
Anyway that's my two cents. Hope I added to the discussion. A very interesting topic. :)

Back
Top Bottom