Odd Occurrence While Driving

Perri475

Jedi
I had a very weird thing happen to me while driving maybe two to three weeks ago. I have a (poorly) drawn diagram of what happened for context. I feel it gets the point across,but hopefully someone on the board has some knowledge about what happened because to be honest I feel pretty foolish about this (like i didn't pay attention in 2nd grade science or something!). I was driving north west on a straight stretch at close to sunset and the sun was way far in the distance to my left towards the west. Within one minute, possibly less time, the sun was equally way far distance to my right in the east and was not setting in the west anymore. This sounds like crazy talk, but it is coming from a total place of honesty (and most likely ignorance). The image doesn't really convey the distance the sun was away from me, but it's Microsoft paint..

Here is the accompanying image (feel free to laugh at it!):

Thanks in advance..

Attachments

• what the heck.png
    what the heck.png
    21.6 KB · Views: 156
[quote author= Perri475]Here is the accompanying image (feel free to laugh at it!)[/quote]

Explaining things in simple forms is more often the most helpful way for others to understand it. For me at least.

I don't know what happened Perri475. We can zone out while driving and forget a bit about certain aspects of our surroundings, especially when it is not relevant like the sun, only the road and traffic matters. This happens subconsciously. Or maybe it was a hyper-dimensional event? I honestly can't tell.

Best to get some data - have you looked at a map of the road you traveled along?
The simplest explanation is it had a very slow bend in it that changed your direction without you noticing.
If it is a perfectly straight road, then you can consider other options.

One of my science teachers in school told me about people seeing what appeared to be a sun set to the east which was a common phenomena caused by atmospheric reflection.

I googled around, found this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_sunset (doesn't really do your event justice, but there are some interesting links in the 'See Also' section)

3D Student said:
Could it have been a reflection or mirage?

I suppose, but I had a pretty clear view of the sky... I honestly have no way of knowing though, but this would at least explain it in a practical way. The theory about the road bending made sense too, so I went to google maps and now i have a more coherent diagram of what happened. Looking at the road i see that I wasn't heading northwest, I was heading north east (when i wrote this yesterday i ''drove in my head'' kind of, and lost perspective of direction, my apologies!). So the sun jumped from the ''east side'' during sun set, to the ''west'' side rather than reversed as I originally stated. At least the sun is setting on the proper side haha I feel silly for getting that wrong, but if it wasn't a mirage then the sun jumped from one horizon to another which is still a really weird thing to see. Hopefully someone sees something in this image I am missing.. or that the mirage is true; maybe I can find some youtube videos demonstrating it?!

*edited* to delete address on image since this thread is public

Attachments

• maps.png
    maps.png
    282.9 KB · Views: 109
Perri475]Here is the accompanying image (feel free to laugh at it!) I don't know what happened Perri475. [i][b]We can zone out while driving and forget a bit about certain aspects of our surroundings[/b][/i] said:
This happens subconsciously. Or maybe it was a hyper-dimensional event? I honestly can't tell.

My running assumption as of right now is that maybe I had a weird psychological issue (not to imply ''negative'', but for back of a better vocabulary), because nothing can really ''physically'' explain this to me other than this specific mirage suggested and I haven't done enough research on that yet to even compare my experience to it. It very well could be hyper-dimensional, but I was trying not to jump the gun even though that was my very first reaction to it. If that were a weird blip or hiccup, it just makes me wonder what else glitches like that?

I had this same thought, but I do not know if it's the same problem. Suppose a car is going South or North, and as the sun sets. You are basically the sun in the west. I say in principle because the road turns due to terrain or dwellings. So instead of being to the right, the sun is on the left, but this is still the west.

were you tired?,

Usually when I'm tired i guess our perception is less attentive and processes run slowly in the brain.
I tend to see shadows, people moving, deejay, and weirdness

I was well rested if my memory is correct.. I remember feeling pretty pleasant up until that point, which turned to confusion after letting the occurrence sink in.

[quote author= Perri475]It very well could be hyper-dimensional, but I was trying not to jump the gun even though that was my very first reaction to it. If that were a weird blip or hiccup, it just makes me wonder what else glitches like that?[/quote]

If it occurs more often I think it's advisable to get to the bottom of it. As for now, there is not much you make of it anyhow. Weird things happen. Sometimes there is logical explanation and sometimes there can be more to it. Most important thing is to not let such an experience get to you emotional. Always try to stay grounded. OSIT

bjorn said:
If it occurs more often I think it's advisable to get to the bottom of it. As for now, there is not much you make of it anyhow. Weird things happen. Sometimes there is logical explanation and sometimes there can be more to it. Most important thing is to not let such an experience get to you emotional. Always try to stay grounded. OSIT
I agree with that. I will just have to keep my eyes open! It does strike a bit of an unnerving feeling inside of me, but you're right in saying I shouldn't let it get me emotional. A lot is going on right now all over the world, I feel I need to preserve what strength I do have. I have this feeling in my gut I can't shake, it really does feel like we are on the precipice..

[quote author= bjorn]If it occurs more often I think it's advisable to get to the bottom of it. As for now, there is not much you make of it anyhow.[/quote]

Should be: ''As for now, there is not much you can make of it anyhow''

[quote author= Perri475]I feel I need to preserve what strength I do have. I have this feeling in my gut I can't shake, it really does feel like we are on the precipice..[/quote]

Same here, it feels like something big is brewing

Perri475 said:
Looking at the road i see that I wasn't heading northwest, I was heading north east

But according to the red line painted in your map, you were either going North West, or Sout East. (You didn't paint an arrow.)

Also, you can't put the sun into a map as a circle for obvious reasons. You would have to put it as an arrow / as a direction.

You probably had false assumptions about the direction you were going (this can easily happen with long and slight bends in a road), and the sun was where it was supposed to be. Anyway, this could be a sign that you should increase your awareness -- this can protect you in dangerous situations.

Well, I actually got very nervous before posting. I proceeded to hyper analyze the post after the fact, then second guessed myself, when, as you pointed out, my original statement was correct.

What are the obvious reasons for not using a circle to represent the sun? I just drew a simple diagram for illustration, I don't think an arrow representing the sun would make much of a difference in regards to the point I was making, but this is my ignorance i suppose. I had no assumptions about where I was going while I was driving, like I said in my post that inaccurately changed the direction I was going: ''While posting this, I did the drive ''in my head'' and got confused''. The assumptions only came after the fact (I.E. while making this thread).

Apparently I wasn't confused about the direction I was going, because I was heading North West, as you pointed out. I suppose I've ruined any credibility I had with that hiccup I caused, though. On that note, I'll just keep my eyes on the watch! I agree I should increase my awareness, I would probably not need to question what happened if that were the case hahaha. Thank you for the response, Data.

Back
Top Bottom