Old school math

Mytja

Jedi Master
The C's have noted that knowledge if not shared is STS, which is rather straightforward to understand, but if nobody is asking, then it seems like imposing.
Having that in mind, the content of the post corresponding to the title of the thread was placed in the spoiler box.

The C's saying that numbers 1-2-3 is all we need to construct other numbers, and arrangement of C's crystals on the table this evening, brought an idea to mind how that could be done. Well, there was also question on my mind what does the C's statement that counting is arbitrary really mean, because that seemed totally counterintuitive and ilogical. And it still does, so I'm inclined to think that was food for thought, if I remember correctly that C's statement.

Number 1 can be written as a dot, . , and it seems that in this type of notation it is not needed anymore for construction of other numbers, which makes me wonder also about that C's statement. In other words, counting does not seem to be arbitrary and number 1 is practically not needed except to know that after number 2 comes number 3 and after number 3 comes number 4, and so on, which basically amounts to counting. Well, except if . is not used for truncating other, higher valued numbers which very quickly in this notation start to appear like a long string of | and =, which looks rather clumsy to work with.

Number 2 is represented as a horizontal line, - , and number 3 as a vertical line, | . Number 4 then simply becomes two horizontal lines, one next to the other, --, or one above or beneath the other, which then gives additional symbol, = , making number 4 almost on equal footing to number 2 and number 3. In that manner, we have four, i.e. three symbols, leaving . aside, to work with:
. 1
-- or = 4.

Now, if we take number 4 as -- and convert one - into |, we get number 5 as -|, i.e. 2 and 3 (using notation where lower valued numbers are on the left to higher valued ones), and that's an indication when new symbol appears, i.e. we work with the base 4. Number 6 is then just ||, but it can also be written as -=, and to get number 7, we either convert one | into = or - into | to get |=. Number 8 comes to be when that | becomes =, i.e. ==. Now, that can also be written as -||, which makes ground to work with three symbols and continue 'counting' further. Convert - into | and get number 9 as |||, then | into = to get number 10 as ||=, number 11 as |== and number 12 as ===.

And here we get a 'rule' how and when to add new symbols for higher valued numbers, as number 12 can also be written as four |, |||| , meaning that from three symbols, ===, we switch to four symbols, ||||, and continue converting | into = to get the next number in order. When all | are converted into =, the same switch is applied, i.e. === -> ||||, and the conversion of | into = starts again to go higher in order.

1 .
2 -
3 |
4 = (or --, i.e. transition from one symbol to two)
5 -|
6 || (or -=)
7 |=
8 == (or -||, i.e. transition from two symbols to three)
9 |||
10 ||=
11 |== (or -|||, but we don't need four symbols just yet)
12 === -> |||| (transition from three symbols to four, which makes the basis for further transitions)
13 |||=
14 ||==
15 |=== (which can be written as |||||, but we don't need five symbols yet)
16 ==== -> ||||= (transition to five symbols)
17 |||==
18 ||=== (which can be written as ||||||, but we don't need six symbols yet)
19 |====
20 ===== -> ||||== (transition to six symbols)
21 |||=== (which can be written as |||||||, but we don't need seven symbols yet)
22 ||====
23 |=====
24 ====== -> ||||=== (transition to seven symbols)
and so on we go ...

An interesting thing about this notation is that it makes it rather easy to identify prime numbers, as the numbers which can only be divided by themselves and 1: they are those numbers/symbols which can't be 'decomposed' into identical groups of symbols used for lower valued numbers. In other words, for example number 22 as ||==== can be split into two numbers 11, |== and |==, which then can't be split into the identical groups of symbols anymore, similarly to number 23, |=====, or number 17 |||==. The same goes for number 10, ||=, which can be split into -| and -|, i.e. two numbers 5, which then give five symbol notation for that same number 10, -----, i.e. five numbers 2.

That's all for now, and at least until that dilemma outside of the spoiler box is elucidated. There are other things that I'd like to share, but as nobody is asking, that I'm aware of, I've restrained myself from doing so.

Hey Mytia, is this your own system? I've played around with inventing alternative number systems for worldbuilding and so on before, making base 4 or 16, etc. I found the lower the base is, the harder it is to write out longer numbers. It seems like some way of writing this is meant to make simpler math problems and so on easier? I see there's multiple ways of writing out a given number, and the way to write each number can be expressed as a 4 dimensional coordinate (x,y,z,w) where x, y, z, and w represent the number of ., -, |, and = in each number. In a sense our current math language already has similar "synonyms," like for example 4 can be written as 2+2. If everyone was automatically grouped into units of 1, 2, 3, and 4, it would probably make operations involving multiplication or division of those four numbers easier, but it also might make other types of operations (e.g. with very large numbers) more cumbersome. The social and cultural forces shaping numbers and their use probably plays a large role in this as well. OSIT.

Hey Mytia, is this your own system? I've played around with inventing alternative number systems for worldbuilding and so on before, making base 4 or 16, etc. I found the lower the base is, the harder it is to write out longer numbers. It seems like some way of writing this is meant to make simpler math problems and so on easier? I see there's multiple ways of writing out a given number, and the way to write each number can be expressed as a 4 dimensional coordinate (x,y,z,w) where x, y, z, and w represent the number of ., -, |, and = in each number. In a sense our current math language already has similar "synonyms," like for example 4 can be written as 2+2. If everyone was automatically grouped into units of 1, 2, 3, and 4, it would probably make operations involving multiplication or division of those four numbers easier, but it also might make other types of operations (e.g. with very large numbers) more cumbersome. The social and cultural forces shaping numbers and their use probably plays a large role in this as well. OSIT.

Although it was written down last night, I'm pretty confident it's not my invention, at least not in a conventional way.
It 'feels' like remembering, maybe past life stuff, and it also 'feels' like coming from a long time ago, hence the title "old school".

Truncation can be used starting at number 16, ==== -> ||||= , where we see that last = stays there unchanged as we go on with counting, so we can replace it with a dot, . , and continue working just on that left part, ||||. Then number 20 would be written as ||||.-, meaning |||| and == or number 12 on the left and number 8 on the right. Number 24 would then be ||||.|, number 28 ||||.= and number 32 ||||.-|, standing for number 12 on the left side and number 20 on the right side. In that way we would basically be working on both sides simultaneously, adding numbers on the left in 'ordinary' way and on the right for truncations, i.e. multiples of number 4. Highest value obtained in this way, i.e. ====.==== , would be number 80.

Another possibility would be to use dot instead of number 16, i.e. number 16 would still be ====, but also . , which then makes number 17 as two dots, .. , i.e. number 1 and number 16. Number 18 would be -. , number 19 |. and number 32 as ====. would also be written as .- , i.e. two times number 16. This option seems more economical; we would be starting anew on the left with each ==== reached there, and add multiples of number 16 on the right, which would enlarge our set to number 272 as ====.==== . On the other hand, if we truncate with number 80, highest value when truncation with number 4 is used, so to prolong our set from there, we can reach number 1296 written as ====.==== or the highest value expressible.

With these options in mind, the C's statement about 1-2-3 being all we need, makes more sense.

Regarding the applications, well, as seen from what's written, I'm currently re-learning or re-remembering the very basics, but I'm also confident that the other things would follow, in their due time.

This was also inspired by having prime numbers in mind, and what's said in the opening post is still valid when we use a truncation method, i.e. if a number can't be split into identical lower valued groups, then it's a prime number. Truncation with number 4, i.e. when we use a dot for =, seems rather appropriate to identify so called Pythagorean primes, which are of form (4×n+1), and represent prime numbers which can be written as a sum of two squares (wiki link). Those prime numbers seem to play important role in geometry, and identifying them and relations among them was very productive while working on those Tables presented in "Hidden Secrets of all existence in Prime Numbers?" thread.

Although it was written down last night, I'm pretty confident it's not my invention, at least not in a conventional way.
It 'feels' like remembering, maybe past life stuff, and it also 'feels' like coming from a long time ago, hence the title "old school".

What are you hoping to get out of these explorations?

Back
Top Bottom