Open Mic Nights

Miss Isness

Jedi Master
After researching a possible trip to Dublin, I've come to the conclusion that I need to find out more about why there are few open mic nights in Italy. After having played for pay for several years, and subsequently taking a break for a couple of years, I've been trying to find the best way to share my songs with the public, and I've discovered that, here in Italy, it can be difficult to find a place to play - even for free. One of the reasons may be that SIAE, the organization that collects royalties in Italy, has penalties for venues that have live music and don't pay royalties, and the laws regarding royalties are strictly enforced.

Certainly, part of the problem is a lack of free standing buildings that don't include residental units, and the low survival rate of new venues can also be partly attributed to the mafia. What I'm really interested in, though, is if the associations that collect royalties in the rest of Europe have some kind of provision for venues that are simply trying to provide a space where poets, songwriters, musicians, etc. can share their talent and become an inspiration to each other. I would really like to learn more about this so as to intelligently approach creating such a space where I live.

I'd really appreciate any information regarding this whether it be knowledge from personal experiences, or good sources of information.

Hi
Maybe the way to go, to get around the copywrite laws is to have open mic nights for people to try out their own music.This would get around the copywrite infringement. Maybe you could ask a bar /venue if they would like to give it a try, and if the nights are successful economically for the venue they may consider paying for a music license so then people could play cover music also.

Original material nights would be interesting as one could maybe hear whats on other folks minds in the present ,rather than words already been sung many times.

Not that the human being in its present state has much of a vocabulary or more than in the past.

Anyway hope this is of some use and worth considering.

Hi
I had to look into your suggestion, and what I found out really angered me. That is, SIAE constricts venue owners to pay fees for having live music regardless of whether or not artists are performing original music, which is fine for artists who can and want to receive royalties, BUT the artist has no right to decide if they want royalties collected on their original works in Italy. In other words, venue owners will be fined for not paying SIAE even if artists perform original music that isn't registered or copyrighted. Furthermore, some artists performing original works will never see a penny of the royalties that are collected because they first have to pass an exam that requires the ability to read and notate music before they can become a member of SIAE. At least that's my understanding at this point.

Hi
I dont know where you are in Italy, but if you are anywhere near an english, or irish pub then it may be worth approaching them and asking can you organize something for a monday or tuesday night there.

They may just be open to it for the extra custom it may bring in for them. They should have a liscence that will cover what you want , as an english or irish pub without music is quite rare abroad.

I cant go in any depth regarding the siae as most is in Italian , but what i can see is there may possibly be confusion on behalf of the place you approached.

I read;

Q. What is the S.I.A.E? Why do we have to pay for this?
A. S.I.A.E is the Italian Society of Authors and Publishers. It is the organization for the protection of intellectual copyright. Italian law establishes that those who wish to organise shows or entertainment where copyright works are exploited (e.g.: music for a party), must ask for the SIAE, a license and pay the relative amount. If organizers do not pay this license, inspectors of SIAE can stop the event and there will be a big fine to pay.

In this case you wouldnt be exploiting copywrited work as such , though all music is copywrited once created whether one registers it or not. hmmm.

I don't really know much about the laws in Italy, but have you looked into some alternative spaces? Apart from restaurants/pubs/bars, two good sources to try might be coffeehouses and galleries. As the rabbit suggested, owners usually try to work things out with performers in order to attract a crowd on down nights (anywhere from sunday-wednesday really depending on your area). It's getting cold out, but you could also try organizing something in a public area such as a garden, sculpture park, etc. That probably won't pay, obviously, but will be more accessible to other people. Libraries (within reason), universities and other learning institutions may likely encourage such endeavors as well.

Thanks for your suggestions. I've thought about art galleries before, and I'm glad to be reminded about that possibility. There aren't really coffee houses in my area. I don't know about the rest of Italy, but it's probably the same. There are bars where people usually gulp down their coffee standing up, and then rush off. Some libraries do have exhibitions, etc., so that is good idea.

As for how SIAE works in Italy, I got my information from two professional, Italian musicians, one who has been in the business for at least 30 years. It's very hard to pin Italians down on any kind of rules. There are always loopholes, and people who have power always manage to rationalize their policies - just look at what Berlusconi got away with. I guess I'm trying to say that if the musicians here say you can't perform live music without a license period, then it's probably like that regardless of what you might find in writing. Nonetheless, I need to talk to some more people, and find out if the two I've already talked to were right and if there's some way around the stifling system.

Back
Top Bottom