Orange Juice

B

biiwide

I saw the tagline for this forum "...What knocks you out?" and had to post.

A glass of orange juice knocks me out. If I have some for lunch, I will invariably spend the rest of the afternoon desparately trying to not wind up snoring at my desk. It's probably the insulin rush from the high sugar levels, given that fruit juices have many times the sugar you would get from eating the whole fruit, and almost none of the fiber.

Interestingly enough, "Florida Oranges" media group was told a few months ago by the FDA to stop making unsubstantiated and just plain wrong health claims in their advertisements. (You know, where the guy blends up a salmon or liver and then says "or you could have a glass of pure Florida orange juice". Hint: the wrong claims weren't being made about the salmon or liver.)

Additionally, there is allegedly a study from Hawaii, though I haven't had time yet to track it down, showing a positive correlation between general juice consumption and Alzheimers. It may have something to do with the combination of the cholinesterase inhibitors (neurotoxins) in the pesticides and the method of processing fruit into derivative products, including juice. ( See this article: http://www.westonaprice.org/modernfood/dirty-secrets.html )

What's your blood type? If you follow the Eat Right 4 Your Type diet, Type A's should stay away from oranges and orange juice.

And just to summarise the blood type diets, from the synopsis on http://www.worldwideshoppingmall.co.uk/books/eatrightforyourtype.asp :

-- QUOTE --
Have diets you've tried in the past failed or even been counter - productive? Are you sure your diet is right for your blood type? This breakthrough new programme, currently sweeping America, is the only one to reveal the hidden key to successful dieting.
Your blood type reflects your internal chemistry. It actually determines the way you absorb nutrients. What foods you absorb well and how your body handles stress differ with each blood type. Eat Right 4 Your type tells you to combine the foods that are right for you.:
IF YOUR BLOOD TYPE IS O:
-Eat meat (high protein, low carbohydrate)
-Cut out wheat and most other grains
-Engage in vigorous aerobic exercise
-The risk of ulcers and inflammatory diseases such as arthritis increase if you eat incorrectly for your type
IF YOUR BLOOD TYPE IS A:
-You should be a vegetarian (high carbohydrate, low fat)
-Engage in gentle exercise such as yoga or golf
-Meditate to deal with stress
-The risk of cancer and heart disease increase if you eat incorrectly for your type
IF YOUR BLOOD TYPE IS B:
-You should have a very varied diet of all the blood types, one including meat; yours is the only blood type that does well with dairy products
-Engage in exercise such as moderate swimming or walking
-The risk of slow-growing viruses that attack the nervous system increases if you eat incorrectly for your type
IF YOUR BLOOD TYPE IS AB:
-You have most of the benefits and intolerances of types A and B
-Engage in calming exercises and relaxation techniques
-You have the friendliest immune system of all the blood types.
-- END QUOTE --

strangely enough. I'm type A, yet I've been having cravings for orange juice lately.

I should start by saying that I honestly can't remember my blood type.

On the one hand, a lot of the theory behind the "eat right for your type" seems to make sense and sound very plausible, but on the other hand, there appears to be some level of randomness to the food lists the author generates. For example, the summary given above says that type A's should be vegetarian with a high carb diet, and Shar says that type A's should avoid oranges. On the surface, this appears to be a bit contradictory. There may be some well reasoned underlying technical issue, but at first glance it doesn't look good. Additionally, I am a recovered vegetarian of 14 years, and would never recommend anyone pursue that type of diet as it is fundamentally unsound and lacks many nutrients, regardless of one's type.

For me, studying traditional diets. how different people have adapted to the foods available in different areas or adapted the foods to them, along with contemporary information on body chemistry has provided information that appears to make more sense and be more consistent than the lists of the type diet.

yeah, you're right: I should really have qualified that post by saying that some other dieticians completely disagree with the whole blood-type diet idea.

Kinda makes it difficult to know what to think about it. Anyone had any remarkable success or failure following a 'blood-type' diet?

Not Applicable to me.

I'm type A. Have always eaten lots of meat, eggs, etc. - hi fat, low carb. Do like fruits and veggies though but a diet veg-based would leave me constantly craving for more food. Hardly ever get sick, no current chronic health problems at 40+ years, only one cavity in my mouth.

Grains make me fat, especially rice.

I'll pass on that book's theory.

I'm type AB, and surprisingly enough, that book outlines almost exactly what I eat naturally. Also, the foods I'm supposed to avoid are, with one or two exceptions, foods that I've never liked in the first place. Even as a little kid, every time we had red meat for dinner, I felt sick afterward, so, from my personal experience, it fits.

By following the blood type diet, for the most part, for over a year, I have eliminated a severe (3 prilosec a day) acid reflux condition. A's can eat most fish and birds, and yogurt and sour cream. No food group is entirely eliminated. While I question the rationale explaining the evolution of the blood type food tolerance abilities, my own experience has been very positive, as have others I know. Get the additional encyclopedia for the details and complete food and supplement lists.
shellycheval

biiwide said:
Additionally, there is allegedly a study from Hawaii, though I haven't had time yet to track it down, showing a positive correlation between general juice consumption and Alzheimers. It may have something to do with the combination of the cholinesterase inhibitors (neurotoxins) in the pesticides and the method of processing fruit into derivative products, including juice. ( See this article: http://www.westonaprice.org/modernfood/dirty-secrets.html )
All processed foods, especially beverages such as juice, contain high levels of fluoride, especially if they are processed in an area that has fluoride added to the water. Our food supply is heavily contaminated with fluorine compounds, from the water, pesticides, and processing methods. This glut of fluorine compounds affects our thyroid and pineal glands, and our brains. http://www.fluoridealert.org/f-sources.htm Basically, what it comes down to is that
"Fluorine Compounds Make you Stupid" http://www.cassiopaea.org/cass/fluoride.htm.

Thanks biiwide for sharing this link:
http://www.westonaprice.org/modernfood/dirty-secrets.html
According to the article there is also a startling connection between the processing of orange juice and the processing of cattle feed!

"What about the orange peel used for cattle feed? The dried left-over citrus peel is processed into cakes which are still loaded with cholinesterase inhibitors and organophosphates. Mark Purdey in England has shown these neurotoxins are correlated with "Mad Cow Disease" (Bovine Spongiform Encephalitis or BSE). The use of organophosphates either as a spray on the cows or in their feed is one of the causes of the degeneration of the brain and nervous system in the cow and if these components are doing this to the nervous system of the cow, there's a possibility they are doing this to you also."

And also there's this little tidbit about the use of soy:
"One more thing about processed orange juice. Have you ever wondered why processed orange juice stays cloudy, why the solids do not settle? This is because soy protein combined with soluble pectin is added, and this keeps the juice permanently cloudy. It might be interesting to know, for those of you who are allergic to soy. "

Could it be some people who drink OJ experience mild allergic reactions to the soy without realizing it?

The following is a list of connections between fluoride consumption and Alzheimer's.
http://www.fluoridealert.org/health/brain/
6) The animal studies have also documented considerable evidence of direct toxic effects of fluoride on brain tissue, even at levels as low as 1 ppm fluoride in water (Varner 1998). These effects include:
-- reduction in nicotinic acetylcholine receptors;
-- reduction in lipid content;
-- impaired anti-oxidant defense systems;
-- damage to the hippocampus;
-- damage to the purkinje cells;
-- increased uptake of aluminum;
-- formation of beta-amyloid plaques
(the classic brain abnormality in Alzheimer's disease);
-- exacerbation of lesions induced by iodine deficiency; and
-- accumulation of fluoride in the pineal gland.

Lots of connections between fluoride and Alzheimer's!

Also, note the first thing on the list above: "reduction in nicotinic acetylcholine receptors" Here at www.alz.org/Research/Funded/2005/05France_Changeux.asp we find this: "Acetylcholine is a messenger chemical that helps deliver nerve signals from one neuron to another. The chemical binds to specific "docking sites" on neurons called receptors. ... receptors. One docking site in particular, called the nicotinic acetylcholine receptor (nAChR), has been linked to Alzheimer's."

So fluoride seems to increase factors that lead to Alzheimer's, and decrease those things that may protect us from Alzheimer's. Seems fluoride is a very useful substance for those 'powers that be' who 'don't have our best interests at heart' and desire to "make us stupid" and 'control' us.

So can drinking orange juice make a person sleepy? I haven't come across any information that definitely answers that question in a general way, but I can see some indications, or suggestions, that for some people this could be so. After all, as already mentioned, a glass of OJ does contain enough sugar to have a certain effect on our metabolism; a sugar high followed by a 'crash'. And it does seem that fluoride contamination has a negative effect on our brains...and commercial OJ contains high levels of fluoride.

I think the 'best' orange juice would be freshly squeezed at home from organic oranges to circumvent the fluoridated water contamination. Second best would be an 'organic' frozen concentrate reconstituted with filtered water. Of course, it may be that 'organic' juice concentrate is still contaminated with fluoride since it is processed, and the 'plant' itself could be contaminated. So, of course, it would be better to just eat an organic orange, which our body metabolizes without the sugar rush, which provides fiber, and is not as likely to be contaminated with fluoride.

Lucy

Shar said:
What's your blood type? If you follow the Eat Right 4 Your Type diet, Type A's should stay away from oranges and orange juice.
Hi everyone,

I found this link at the curezone site. Can't vouch for it's accuracy, but it seems to follow pretty closely to what Peter D'Adamo writes in his book, more or less.

http://www.curezone.com/ER4YT/

Regards.

Eh diet is one of those things that's very personal. I tend to stress to my fam that they don't over eat. Growing up in an Italian American house there's always excess, esp with my parents and us 4 kids. And everyone tends to take huge portions, while my brother, youngest sister and I are the only ones getting excercise. I don't get how my pops inhales huge portions of meat, big steaks, etc. I can only eat alot when i've been in a sustained period of excercise (multiple hours a day or every other day) and my muscles are growing.

But besides that i try to get a lot of variety as we are omnivores and require such. Nuts and fruits tend to get neglected, but once i consciously realized it it became easier to incorporate them in. Oh and plenty of water, i dont over do it, but 2-4 bottles of water a day + ice tea (natural w/ no sugar) tend to be my liquids of choice. Juices tend to come from low-quality fruits and often have pesticides in trace amounts, they're also artificially sweetened, so i stick to all natural/organic stuff which i dilute.

Things i've cut down or cut out have been soda, snacks, anything packaged/processed, or anything with carcinogenic preservatives, or artificial chemicals. I don't eat much red meat, or dairy, but everyonce in awhile it's a nice supplement. I started changing my diet after i took cellular bio, biochemistry and microbiology.

Back
Top Bottom