Overlapping Columns.

Vulcan59

SuperModerator
FOTCM Member
The left column, "Latest Topics on The Signs Forum" is overlapping the main or center column. The overlaps occurs on all other linked pages. The left column blocks the letters in the center column when articles are expanded. I am using Firefox to view the pages.

When using Internet Explorer to view the SOTT page, the above column and the "Signs Montlhy News Roundups" column or box overlaps the main articles when expanded or when viewed at the main SOTT page. Same for all other linked pages.

Anybody else having the same viewing problems?

Yes actually,I have that problem as well .Not only on the left side but ,when reading articles I noticed the ads on the right for the books are covering the articles as well.

sorry for the delay in my answer,heheh.I was off to work.but no overlaps now that the layout is changed
Although(lol sorry to be a pain)Laura had mentioned basically the "bread & butter" of the funding of this great work you guys are doing is book sales .There's no happy medium for the book ads huh?Instead of way down the bottom ?Just MHO

Im having the same problem now, at least in Safari, but in Explorer its fixed.

With respect to the right column being positioned over the left and middle column the following code needs to be inserted to resolve this:

</font></p>

These tags go right before the closing </div> of #right.

Source code will now look like this after making the change:

<!--[if IE]>
<hr class="right" />
<![endif]-->
</font></p>
</div>

</body>
</html>

Dominique.

Hmmm - for some reason the entire right column ( of book titles and the pic of the day) is not on top of the center of the page, blocking the text. I am at work, using Safari on a Mac, so that may have something to do with it.

a

Oh, and this is true for all pages, so even if I click on a topic to open a new page to read it, the right column graphics follow and display themselves in the middle of the page, thus making the actual reading of the article impossible.

anart said:
Hmmm - for some reason the entire right column ( of book titles and the pic of the day) is not on top of the center of the page, blocking the text. I am at work, using Safari on a Mac, so that may have something to do with it.

a

Oh, and this is true for all pages, so even if I click on a topic to open a new page to read it, the right column graphics follow and display themselves in the middle of the page, thus making the actual reading of the article impossible.
The problem in the source code seems to adversely affect Safari. Firefox (and any Gecko engine browser) seems more robust to missing closing tags.

I will email signs team directly about this.

Well, the missing closing tags were put back in, and it still looks screwy in Safari.
It's kind of a mystery...
Did it ever look OK in Safari? I seem to remember successfully testing the page in Safari before, but it was awhile ago.
Does anybody remember the first time the problem happened? A date would help us to figure out what changes to the right column caused the issue.
Thanks!

Scott said:
Well, the missing closing tags were put back in, and it still looks screwy in Safari.
It's kind of a mystery...
Did it ever look OK in Safari? I seem to remember successfully testing the page in Safari before, but it was awhile ago.
Does anybody remember the first time the problem happened? A date would help us to figure out what changes to the right column caused the issue.
Thanks!
Hi Scott
Yes, it was looking good on Safari until Wednesday 12. April :)

Addendum:
I just checked the archive. All pages have the problem now, what suggests, that it must be in a html-part, that is identical for all pages and maybe changed two days ago. I copied the source into my HTML-editor and have the same problem. I try to find the problem.

OK, found problem. Domivir wasn't wrong, but his suggestions didn't solve the problem:
It's the missing closing tag </table> here:

<!--[if IE]>
<hr class="left" />
<![endif]-->
</table>
</div>

Yep - same here as far as the date of the mess-up in Safari (just for corroboration) - however it seems I remember it occurring in the late afternoon my time - the page was okay earlier that day, then in the late afternoon, the picture of the day popped over onto the middle of the page. By the next day's update, the entire column was over in the middle.

a

Just an FYI - (of which you may already be aware) - as of Friday update, still can't read the articles, in Safari, due to the left column being in the way.

The column problem in Safari should be fixed now.
The problem did turn out to be a </table> tag, but it was in the left column which was also modified recently.
"</table" doesn't work quite as well as "</table>". :)

Thanks to all for the helpful clues!

anart said:
Just an FYI - (of which you may already be aware) - as of Friday update, still can't read the articles, in Safari, due to the left column being in the way.
If you are knowledgable: save the page, edit the source with the proposed fix and load the file from disk into the browser.
Or install the following on your Mac:
Camino - http://www.caminobrowser.org/
Firefox - http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/
Mozilla - http://www.mozilla.org/products/mozilla1.x/
Opera - http://www.opera.com/

All of the above (which I have installed) are not sensitive to the signs page source code problem.
Or you may also try IE5/Mac ;-]

Dominique

Back
Top Bottom