Ozu and the human condition

loreta

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
These days I watch the movies by Ozu. There's a lot of emotion in the films of this great Japanese master. It's an internal, luminous, individual emotion that the characters teach us. Ozu knew about the human condition, and his films are about that, the human condition.

Ozu's films are calming, they allow you to calm down, to pay attention, to observe. Observe the objects, the harmony of the places, observe the faces of the actors who express what is hidden inside us, who do not express what is deep inside us. Ozu liked to film static shots to let us see at our leisure what he wanted us to see: rooms, corridors, people around a table, tatami mats, and above all, above all, the spirit of his characters, that light that we all have. That strength too.

Many articles and books have been written about Ozu, and he is truly considered Japan's best and most Japanese director. I haven't read anything about him yet because I prefer to study his films without being influenced by anyone. The subjects of his films revolve around the family, the relationship between parents and children, and the passage of time. About education, marriage, modernity… but his real subject is the human condition, our presence in this space of time that is given to us to grow, to love, to suffer too. To learn sacrifice and detachment.

Ozu understood human beings in an extraordinary way, with compassion and gentleness. Conflicts between parents and children, sorrows, women forced to marry... To watch his films is to participate in an inner experience full of wisdom and listening. And in these hectic, hard times where we are, Ozu allows us to keep silent and listen. To breathe. Marvellous.

Its actors are so good that they are more real than the people you meet in the street. They are alive and their energy goes beyond the film, touching you and accompanying you like a little light. Like friends.

Yasujiro Ozu's films not only relax and calm but also make you look around you with new eyes, at the spaces, the rooms, the kitchen, the way you are present in your home, and I assure you that if you are untidy like me it is undeniable that you will start to put order around you, order that allows calm. Thanks to Ozu.

Order, grace, simplicity, beauty. That's Ozu.

For those who would like to see an Ozu movie but don't know where to start, I recommend Tokyo Story, which is considered one of the best films in the history of cinema, and rightly so. The film is on Youtube with English subtitles. The print is excellent.

Yes, we live in the middle of chaos and I sincerely think that Ozu's films can help us become a little more Zen, more integrated, more present. More happy. It's wonderful that Ozu's spirit is still so alive among us. It's a gift.

1724541354700.png

Back
Top Bottom