Pain relief in French hospitals

Endura

The Force is Strong With This One
My stepson was hospitalized yesterday for nephritic colic (first diagnosis). The pain was variable and sometimes very, very high. At hospital he received some pain relievers but the relief was only from time to time.

What is shocking to me is that now in the 21st century pain relief cannot be total, at least in French hospitals. I suppose the reason is a side effects’ limitation.

I remember my late father was also shocked by that and he told me that in other countries it was better. Can anyone confirm that ?

Hi Endura,

Sorry to hear about your stepson's condition - I just read it is a very painful problem :(

My take is that if the medical profession do not fully understand the cause of the disease they cannot also truly cure the problem -and the pain associated with it. Although it is possible to use many types of pain killers, I suppose you only use certain types for certain conditions.

The use of chemical pain killers has many side effects - it'd be wise to do some research on them. In my opinion usage of pain-killers and anti-depressants have serious health implications in the long term.

Here is something I found :
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/10/071008102338.htm
New research shows that selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs), a group of drugs commonly used to treat depression, may double the risk of gastrointestinal bleeding, according to researchers from Wake Forest University School of Medicine and colleagues. When the drugs are taken with aspirin and other similar pain medications, the risk is more than 600 percent higher.

To answer your question, I don't think it differs too much by country assuming similar Allopathy medicines are available - unless there are other systems of medicine such as homeopathy, ayurveda, or TCM (traditional Chinese medicine) that offer natural solutions..

Actually, I had better pain relief in the hospital in France than I ever did in the U.S. But then, perhaps it is a matter of who the doctor is, does he know you, do you have a good rapport with him?

Thank you moksha and Laura

Laura said:
Actually, I had better pain relief in the hospital in France than I ever did in the U.S. But then, perhaps it is a matter of who the doctor is, does he know you, do you have a good rapport with him?

Actually I have not even met him. My stepson remained in the emergency service during his whole stay in the hospital and the visits were limited one person per patient at a time.
Happily he left the hospital at 6 pm today without pain now. The seizure lasted less than 24 hour and as soon as he felt the pain the nurse gave him something, so the treatment was not so bad as my first impression.

Back
Top Bottom