gottathink

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
I've made a paleo flour blend
1.5 cups cassava flour
.5 cup almond flour (blanched)
.5 cup tapioca
.5 cup coconut flour

I tried it as a direct substitute for wheat flour in baking a carrot cake and it turned out perfect 👍🏻

The cassava flour by itself can be substituted for wheat flour but I found it to be too gluey. It is also expensive in NZ so mixing with the other ingredients brought down the cost as well as improved the crumb.

Last edited:
I just remembered I said I would post a Vogels recipe. Well here it is, approved by the Missus as very close to the real thing.

Ingredients
---------------------

1 tbsp Honey / golden syrup / malt
1 C Boiling water
1 C Milk
1 1/2 tsp dry granulated yeast (Edmonds active yeast - all purpose)
225 g High grade white flour
225 g Wholemeal flour
1.5 tsp Salt
1.5 tsp Wheatgerm
1/4 C Sunflower seeds
1/4 C Pumpkin seeds
1 tbsp Oil

Method
---------------------

Extra fun / tasty thing to try : Toast the pumpkin and sunflower seeds in a pan before mincing up

1. Mix the golden syrup or honey, water and milk together and sir. Let it cool for about 5 minutes.
2. Sprinkle the yeast over, stir in and stand until it starting to froth up ~5 minutes.
3. Crush up the seeds a bit in a whizzer or by smashing
4. Combine all the fry ingredients and mix. Make a well in the middle.
5. Pour in the yeast mixture. Mix well. It will be sticky.
6. Put it all into a loaf tin (23 x 12 x 6 cm)
7. Put in a cold oven, and turn onto bake (not fanbake) at 50 degrees. Leave for half an hour.
8. Turn the oven up to 200 degrees (bake, not fanbake as this will make the top burn) and cook for half an hour.
9. Switch to fan bake at 200 degrees for another 5 to 10 minutes to brown the top as you want.
10. It's done when you tap it and it sounds hollow.
11. Cool on a wire rack for a few hours.
12. Eat !

The only difference from what I know is that Vogels must do dough retardation to get that chewy texture to the loaf. This pretty much means doing the initial dough mix, then refrigerating for about 24 hours before rising and cooking it.

Back
Top Bottom