Police film meteorit Nov 20th 2008 above Canada

Pretty spectacular, and unnerving. :O

http://www.sott.net/articles/show/169504-Edmonton-Canada-Mysterious-fireball-lights-up-night-sky
http://www.sott.net/articles/show/169473-Massive-fireball-lights-up-Canadian-Prairie-skies

Saw one above my town some two weeks ago, although not that spectacular of course :) , but with beautiful bright green color. Friend saw another one about that time, also green. It would be interesting to know which element burns green, or frozen gas.

Avala said:
Saw one above my town some two weeks ago, although not that spectacular of course :) , but with beautiful bright green color. Friend saw another one about that time, also green. It would be interesting to know which element burns green, or frozen gas.

According to WikiAnswers, and it's a very short answer, ;) Chronium.

And then at Yahoo Answers there is this reply to the question: What would make a shooting star burn green?

It would be due to the composition of the shooting star. Different elements would produce different colours. Barium would produce a green colour, as would borate. I'm sure that there are others.

I see arbon listed as another one on the google page.

If you would like to look for more information, I googled, "Which element burns green" and there are only 381,000 responses.

In a related AOL news story, there was this:

AOL News said:
Most believe Thursday's stunning show was caused by a meteor. "An event of this size, this brightness ... this is probably a once-in-a-lifetime type of event, maybe twice," sad Christopher Herd, a science professor at the University of Alberta.

All I can do is shake my head in disbelief at these astoundingly ignorant (and stupid) comments.

curious that the minor planet center predicted that tiny one over sudan back in early october, and yet they didn't see this? or perhaps they saw it but didn't do a press release? one would think they'd capitalize on the publicity, especially since it was over a populated area...

neat video from the police dash-cam though... wow!

Nienna Eluch said:
Avala said:

According to WikiAnswers, and it's a very short answer, ;) Chronium.

And then at Yahoo Answers there is this reply to the question: What would make a shooting star burn green?

It would be due to the composition of the shooting star. Different elements would produce different colours. Barium would produce a green colour, as would borate. I'm sure that there are others.

I see arbon listed as another one on the google page.

If you would like to look for more information, I googled, "Which element burns green" and there are only 381,000 responses.

My first find was copper (Cu). But copper is not so interesting because only some copper salts burns green (according to internet). Chromium or chrome burns green and in nature (according to internet again) goes with other interesting metals among copper, like: mangan, cobalt, nickel, vanadium and zinc.

I did a small search for meteorite contents, and looks that according to burning color and elements that burns green, we have very interesting and unusual one this time (actually I know for 3 sightings, that one in Canada and two in south east Europe).

Here is what Wikipedia said about meteorite types and their contents

_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meteorite#Meteorite_types

Most meteorites are stony meteorites, classed as chondrites and achondrites. Only 6% of meteorides are iron meteorites or a blend of rock and metal, the stony-iron meteorites.

About 86% of the meteorites that fall on Earth are chondrites,[4][11][12] which are named for the small, round particles they contain. These particles, or chondrules, are composed mostly of silicate minerals that appear to have been melted while they were free-floating objects in space. Chondrites also contain small amounts of organic matter, including amino acids, and presolar grains. Chondrites are typically about 4.55 billion years old and are thought to represent material from the asteroid belt that never formed into large bodies. Like comets, chondritic asteroids are some of the oldest and most primitive materials in the solar system. Chondrites are often considered to be "the building blocks of the planets".

About 8% of the meteorites that fall on Earth are achondrites, some of which appear to be similar to terrestrial mafic igneous rocks. Most achondrites are also ancient rocks, and are thought to represent crustal material of asteroids. One large family of achondrites (the HED meteorites) may have originated on the asteroid 4 Vesta. Others derive from different asteroids. Two small groups of achondrites are special, as they are younger and do not appear to come from the asteroid belt. One of these groups comes from the Moon, and includes rocks similar to those brought back to Earth by Apollo and Luna programs. The other group is almost certainly from Mars and are the only materials from other planets ever recovered by man.

About 5% of meteorites that fall are iron meteorites with intergrowths of iron-nickel alloys, such as kamacite and taenite. Most iron meteorites are thought to come from the core of a number of asteroids that were once molten. As on Earth, the denser metal separated from silicate material and sank toward the center of the asteroid, forming a core. After the asteroid solidified, it broke up in a collision with another asteroid. Due to the low abundance of irons in collection areas such as Antarctica, where most of the meteoric material that has fallen can be recovered, it is possible that the actual percentage of iron-meteorite falls is lower than 5%.

Stony-iron meteorites constitute the remaining 1%. They are a mixture of iron-nickel metal and silicate minerals. One type, called pallasites, is thought to have originated in the boundary zone above the core regions where iron meteorites originated. The other major type of stony-iron meteorites is the mesosiderites.

Tektites (from Greek tektos, molten) are not themselves meteorites, but are rather natural glass objects up to a few centimeters in size which were formed--according to most scientists--by the impacts of large meteorites on Earth's surface. A few researchers have favored Tektites originating from the Moon as volcanic ejecta, but this theory has lost much of its support over the last few decades.

Edit:

Just talked with source of my chemical knowledge (which is also known as my girfirend :)). She gave another interesting element which burns green, chlorine (Cl) it’s gas but it can also be ice, and in combination with other elements or atmosphere could be reactive.

Back
Top Bottom