question about books

Kila

Jedi
I am back from the library with a stack of books. Some on the reading list were not available and some I needed to place holds on. As far as Gurdieff I could only get the Beelzubub book, that said there was a shelf of commentaries so I grabbed most of them. I was able to place holds on Ouspenky and Mourieff. I am looking for a bit of advice around which to read first, or if there is an order I should observe. And if some might not be worth my time reading at all.

So here is the list:

Beelzubub's Tales to His Grandson by Gurdieff

Teachings of Gurdieff: A Pupils Journal by C.S. Nott

Gurdieff: An Introduction to His Life and Ideas by John Shirley

The Gurdieff Work By Kathleen Riodan Speeth

The Making of Man by Kenneth Walker

Psychological Commentaries on the Teaching of Gurdieff and Ouspensky by Maurice Nicoll (this is a three book series)

The Myth of Sanity by Martha Stout
The Mask of Sanity by Hervey Cleckley

Thanks to all for the feedback.

Hi Kila,

Laura talked about her recommendation for the order in which to read the recommended books here: http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=4718.msg86761;topicseen#msg86761

Laura said:
I tend to think that the ones that explain some of the most basic things that are part of everyone's make-up are where one should star. Like: "Myth of Sanity," first and then "The Narcissistic Family." I think that about everyone can relate to what is written about there.

Then, "Trapped in the Mirror" and "Unholy Hungers."

Then, "In Sheep's Clothing" and "Without Conscience."

Then, "Mask of Sanity" and "In Search of the Miraculous."

Then, "Political Ponerology."

So from the books you listed maybe it would be best to start with the psychology books, The Myth of Sanity and then The Mask of Sanity.

Hi Kila. I agree with Masamune.

My approach is to first try and gain a thorough understanding of basic psychology, up to and including psychopathy/ponerology. Reason being, it provides a context in which to place our observations and self-knowledge gained while self-observing and self-remembering. We need to be able to self-observe to eventually understand the automatic mechanisms that drive our perceptions and reactions, and in the process, gain some compassion, understanding, and external consideration towards others not so knowledgeable.

At the same time, the EE program with its potential for emotional cleansing and practice of breath control, helps to practice use of the 'will', without which, according to Gurdjieff we can not expect to be able to actually DO anything. In other words, if we cannot even have the small amout of 'will' necessary to control our breathing to experience the benefits that are available for us, how can we expect to be able to DO anything else?

In my view, these two aspects of the Work, taken together, fulfills the requirements the C's mentioned about "Karmic and simple understandings"; the answer given in response to the question(s) about the most important things for raising our FRV and achieving the status of STO candidate with regard to the next level of conscious development.

At least, this is my understanding and approach, fwiw.

Hi Kila,

I read your thread on "Feeding the moon" and your study in anthropology. I think you will enjoy "Beelzebub's Tales to his grandson" immensely! ;)

For the purpose of self development and self awareness, the suggested reads by Masamune are most recommended.

Thanks to all.. I have started the Myth of Sanity and I am about half way through.. I few of these books I will have to save up to buy as they are not available on loan at the library. I do have most of the Gurdieff and Ouspensky material on hold.

You can also get most of the Fourth Way books as ebooks. A set of 39 books(Gurdjieff, Ouspensky, commentaries) is offered for 5 GBP by Fourth-Way-ebooks.net

Back
Top Bottom