Question on Diet

Leo40

Jedi Master
I have reached the remarkable age of 71 without ever having suffered any
major illness; therefore I am hesitant to make diet changes according to the
motto: if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

The only item that concerns me is the influence of diet on brain performance
although I have not noticed any deterioration; but I could be deluding myself.

Being of the WW2 generation and having grown-up in Germany I always
adhered to the food habits I learned then. I never ate that horrible mushy
white bread. The only dangerous habit is the "coffee and cake" routine that
is very popular in Germany. But that is now only an occasional temptation.

My recent annual checkup with the doctor showed no problems.
(the doctor looked somewhat disappointed!)

About 10 years ago I started taking coversyl (an ACE inhibitor) for mildly
elevated blood pressure.

I think the gentlest way might be gradually lowering carb consumption and
increasing the meat in the diet.

Suggestions would be welcome.

It's great that you're still healthy at that age. But there may be certain dietary factors that cause problems that go mostly undetected, until a certain breaking point is reached. Have you tried avoiding wheat, soy and dairy? Also, with wheat gluten one has to be careful as it could potentially be in anything we use, even in shampoo! The Life Without Bread thread has some information on this. Dr. Nora Gedgaugas was pretty serious about gluten and it's effects in her book, Primal Body, Primal Mind. Wheat is EVIL!

Gluten is undoubtedly the silent root of a great many of the health challenges that millions of people face today, both physical and mental. It is rarely suspected as the underlying culprit in most instances, however, even by supposed medical authorities. Furthermore, the inherent presence of the morphine-like compounds called exorphins in grains makes gluten containing grains quite addictive and leaves many in frank denial of the havoc that gluten can wreak. Ignorance of gluten sensitivity and resistance to the awareness of what it is really all about are pervasive. The need for awareness and concern is very, very real. It is for this reason that the treatment of this particular subject here is so exhaustive. You really need to get this.

http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,22916.msg280514/topicseen.html#msg280514

Being of the WW2 generation and having grown-up in Germany I always
adhered to the food habits I learned then.

What are those food habits like? It would be interesting to know what it was like during those times.

About 10 years ago I started taking coversyl (an ACE inhibitor) for mildly
elevated blood pressure.

Sorry I don't know much about this.

I think the gentlest way might be gradually lowering carb consumption and
increasing the meat in the diet.

Yep, I think so too. Lower your body's oxidative stress from carbohydrate burning, and if possible, cut down the carbs to a level where it goes into ketosis, a different mode of energy metabolisation, relying on good, healthy animal FAT instead. Have you read Life Without Bread and it's thread? Lots of information to guide you to making better dietary choices. When going for carb reduction the information will really help with whatever symptoms you may encounter along the way.

Leo40 said:

Leo, I would suggest that you have symptoms of illness and have for some time, they are apparent in your thinking and emotional state. You are quick to be offended, rigid in thought and dogmatic and demanding of others. All of these things can (and almost always are) caused by brain inflammation. A gradual change in diet might just benefit you enormously. At your age, it should be very gradual, but your brain can only benefit, according to my understanding. I also agree with the input beetlemaniac has given you. fwiw.

Leo40 said:
The only item that concerns me is the influence of diet on brain performance
although I have not noticed any deterioration; but I could be deluding myself.

Hi Leo40,

If brain performance is your concern (as it is mine as well), then you may want to look into the benefits of coconut oil. This particular subject has been discussed at length in the forum. In this thread...

http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,13001.0.html

Also instructive are the following videos about Dr. Mary Newport and her work with coconut oil. Her patient was her husband. As for myself, I've been adding this oil daily to my morning and afternoon tea. I give it to my wife as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iScs0uzQZFk

Thank you all for your suggestions.

@beetlemaniac: During my early years we were evacuated from the city
and lived with farmers. There was milk straight from the cow. We also ate
lard on bread instead of butter. They also did their own butchering.
All kinds of good stuff.
Before emigrating, in the years from '48 til early sixties, there was no
artificial food available. I think this nutrition in the early years of growing up
was very important. Also no antibiotics.

@anart: if my thinking were so rigid and dogmatic I would hardly be interested
in Laura's work.I think what you detected is probably a question of communication.
My comments are mostly short and to the point I am trying to make.
This may appear blunt or dogmatic.
What I am searching for are members of my age group and their experience
with diet change. I have all the books and will search further.

@sitting: I have coconut oil and I am using it.

Leo40 said:
@anart: if my thinking were so rigid and dogmatic I would hardly be interested
in Laura's work.I think what you detected is probably a question of communication.
My comments are mostly short and to the point I am trying to make.
This may appear blunt or dogmatic.
What I am searching for are members of my age group and their experience
with diet change. I have all the books and will search further.

Leo, I've read every single post that you've posted here in the last two and a half years or so. You are quick to anger, rigid and dogmatic. I'm not insulting you, I'm merely pointing out that this is so. That doesn't define you, it merely describes your behavior. The fact that you're on blood pressure medication means that you are not 'illness free' and if you would take the time to read Life without Bread and Primal Body Primal Mind (as starters) you'll realize how much better you'll be able to think and feel on a very low carb diet. Again, however, you need to transition very slowly due to your age, but the relevant reading material will explain that in detail.

Leo40 said:

I don't think that is possible. The food itself is changing. Meat isn't what it used to be. Animals are fed unnatural grains and/or nutrient depleted plant foods. You can buy "organic" meat, but it is trimmed of fat and bones, and you know little, nutritionally, about what the animals were fed.

Plant foods aren't what they used to be. They are bred to be high in gluten/sugar/whatever (depending on the plant), genetically modified (sometimes) and often grown in nutrient-depleted soils using petroleum-derived fertilizers. Organic plant foods may be better, but the soil nutrients are still an unknown, as are plant anti-nutrients.

Vegetable oil is pervasive in processed foods, including organic processed foods. This stuff is really evil and will kill you, slowly, working in concert with sugar (carbs).

So perhaps you grow all your own food (knowing exactly what you are doing), avoid any kind of processed/packaged food, and avoid all toxic medications (which you are not doing). Otherwise good luck at avoiding making diet changes. You can't sit back and passively avoid the changes.

Megan said:
I don't think that is possible.

I agree. We're so broke we don't know what real health is like. I never would have imagined when I first started on this experiment that it would help clear up so many things that I'd never think to connect to diet. It's stunning.

I agree with all the advice offered and I have read the books.and the
relevant threads on the forum.
My question was specifically directed at forum members in my age
group hoping to learn from their experience.

Leo40 said:
Alot of good advice based on extensive research and experimentation is on offer to you. The advice is colinear based on these many years of experience and study. What exactly is it that you expect to hear from someone of 'your age group' that could be more helpful?

Leo40 said:

I am only 10 years behind you, not on any medications at all, with few "major" medical problems over my lifetime that I know of (4 altogether), and I am scrambling to change as much as I can as quickly as I can. I was fortunate to encounter (and live through) two life-threatening conditions within the last 4 years that motivated me to do something quickly. The most recent one kills 95% of the time without any warning. With this type of condition you might think you are going along just fine and nothing is broken, and then you are dead.

If you are content with that outcome then fine, but if you are trying to cram in as much learning as you can in whatever years you have left then dropping dead unexpectedly from preventable causes is not desirable, and impaired learning capacity from eating "ordinary food" is unacceptable, irrespective of how visible or invisible the symptoms may be.

i attach a link on the new fad of using products from a gila reptile to curb the appetite of persons wanting to reduce their food intake. i believe this warning is genuine:

Back
Top Bottom