Quick question for anyone in the UK re: prepaid cell phones.

Cyre2067

The Living Force
Flying into London on the 19th of October, and I'm kinda in need of a cell phone. Something that will work for Europe to europe phone calls and something that will let me call/recieve to the US.

I was wondering if there are prepaid jauns that will let me do that, and if so approx how much they cost. Can i just walk into a mobile phone store and pick something like that up? Any reccomendations?

Thanks.

Although I don't have a great deal of experience with making international calls, I'll give u my 5 cents.

As far as I'm aware you buy prepaid phone cards that will be the cheapest means of calling abroad from the UK, these can be picked up at most good news agents or convenience stores. I think they range in price from around

It all depends on how much calling you are planning to do and if you will be receiving a lot of calls from the US. If you plan on travelling to and staying a while in several Euro countries and will be making regular calls within each country and abroad and receiving calls from the US, you might want to buy a sim card in each country (or a few of them) that you visit (usually around 20-30 USD).

Here's an example. If you fly into the UK, buy a phone (oe even better get on on ebay for pennies) and UK sim card then go to france with that set up, you will be roaming on your UK card on a French network, which means that call prices are a lot more expensive AND you pay half the cost of any call you receive (because you are not using your home network). If you buy a french sim card call prices are lower and you do not pay anything for receiving calls. Same thing for other countries.

In general terms, the cost of making calls while roaming on a foreign network is about twice as much as when you have a local sim card, and you pay half of the cost of calls received. As I said, it all depends on the number of calls you plan on making or receiving.

Joe

I personally buy the Lycatel Unitel international calling card. Depending on the retailer, the card could be 3.90 to 5 pounds. Trust me, the international rates are excellent, especially for the US, Canada, and other European countries. There are international calling card vendors on almost any busy street, (i'm not sure about central london). But i can almost guarantee you that anyplace that provides an internet cafe service, sells international calling cards, sim cards and even cell phones (but as joe said it's cheaper to purchase on eBay).

Good luck in London!

Back
Top Bottom