Raw Fish for cats ?

Commander Borg

The Force is Strong With This One
Hello Cat-friends,
i have three cats, they are already 10 years or older. For the last maybe 6 to 7 years i fed them only dry cat food because it was more simple for me than buying tins. I even thought it might be better for their teeth, i guess i was wrong because they mostly swallow it as a whole. On the other hand, i have been reading that a lot of the commercial food (dry and wet) is full of ugly stuff. Now i am living in the countryside, my cats have the first time the ability to go outside and i hope they even start to catch some food for themselves. I guess it will need a while. I never bought the cheep cat food but now i am thinking of even trying to give them raw food. I feed my dog raw meat and why not also feed the cats raw food. I have some problems doing this because i am vegan but i hope i can manage it some way. My dog gets a lot of rumen (stomach of the cow) and that is pretty ugly and doesn´t smell very good, but i heard it is very healthy for dogs and i get it quite cheap, it is also organic. (What else would you feed the dog except of meat ?)
In the net there are a lot of posts pro & contra feeding the cats raw fish. I am more convinced giving the raw food but are not sure about the fish. Could it really be dangerous to feed them raw fish like some people post in the net or don´t they just know better ?
I guess some of you have already experience with it so i hope to get some good advices. I am also interested what kind of meed you would feed your cats except of fish. I have read they should not get too much fish.
Thanx

Since cats that catch their own food usually entails birds and mice, why do you think that they need to have raw fish? Why not raw chicken or rabbit or some other form of raw meat?

What I have noticed is that cats love meat much more than fish. At least, it is my experince with homeless cats which, wander in the outskirts of my house.

I am not an expert, but I am of the opinion of feeding them with more natural foods rather than dry ones.

I have read that cats (some cats) like fish very much, that´s why i thought of giving my cats once in a while a fish. Some cats even catch fish themselves. I don´t know if mine would like them, but i will try. Some people say you have to fry them first, some say it is better to give them raw fish. That´s why i was asking for you opinion. There is also a lot of cat food where fish is added for some reason. Sure chicken and mice will be more suitable mostly.
I have a mouse in my kitchen and my three cats are not able to get it, that makes me wonder. Maybe the mouse is very clever or my cats are just to lazy or stupid to catch it.

Have four cats - three of them indoor-outdoor cats. They eat plenty of live 'cat' food and have unlimited access to dry food and fresh water with clay added. Haven't tried giving them fish, but they love organic, raw liver from time to time - all in all they are all bright-eyed and bushy tailed, even the indoor only one who won't eat anything but bickies.

The 2 dogs that live with me are raw fed.They get fish ( a whole mackrel ) once a week. Lately my daughter started to feed the 3 cats living with her raw as well.
They get chicken wings, heart,liver and stomachs. Their coats are shinier now and they seem more contented. I think to ad fish once a week would be great for the omega 3 content.May be go for smaller whole fish,like fresh sardines.Never ever give cooked fish or meat with bones.Cooked bones are dangerous unlike the raw ones which are easily digested.

Well some cats like fish more than others, but the probable ancestors of the domestic cat were savannah animals and most likely evolved to live on birds and small mammals mainly. Raw feeding is definitely the way to go to avoid health/teeth problems with our pet carnivores.

I just found out that my cats don´t like raw fish at all. I had to give it to my dog instead. But they really like fish out of cans like sardines very much. Interesting.
Are these fish in cans with oil cooked before or are they also raw ?
Best regards
Commander Borg

Commander Borg said:
I just found out that my cats don´t like raw fish at all. I had to give it to my dog instead. But they really like fish out of cans like sardines very much. Interesting.
Are these fish in cans with oil cooked before or are they also raw ?
Best regards
Commander Borg

They're raw.

http://www.al-gwaizi.com/en/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=14&Itemid=15

Canned fish is cooked.

Al-ith said:
http://www.al-gwaizi.com/en/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=14&Itemid=15

Canned fish is cooked.

It seems I stand corrected. There are many methods though. Salting, raw packing then retorting (heating the canned fish).
_http://www.fao.org/docrep/003/t0007e/t0007e05.htm#4.3 Salmon and Salmon-like Fish

Back
Top Bottom