Reflection, distortion, or something else?

Keit

Ambassador
Ambassador
FOTCM Member
Not sure if it belongs in this category, but would appreciate an opinion on the following images. They were taken ten days ago, during a trip to Polotsk, the oldest city in Belarus.

You can clearly see a mark in the upper left corner, covering the cross. Obviously, it can be a simple reflection or something like this, just not sure what caused it. Both pictures were taken at the same time (11:02), and the next picture that was taken at 11:03 doesn't have the mark anymore.
Also, the pictures were taken in the direction of the sun and not against it.

Thanks a lot!

p5016455.jpg

p5016454.jpg

picuqt.jpg

Hello Keit,
I'm not sure about it but according to the shadows, it looks like the spot is pointing to the direction of the Sun. There is also a slight chromatic effect that hints to an optical effect. Also, according to the shadows, The Sun is slightly in front of the camera objective, not precisely at a right angle to the optical axis.
So my inclination is thus towards a reflexion of the Sun.

I dunno - it does look similar to the object 'falling' out of the cloud here: https://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,27750.msg341336.html#msg341336

Hi Keit,

This is Spaso-Ephrosineuskaya Church/Monastery, correct ? My grandma used to live in a village close to this place. Thanks for the picture. Brings memories back :)

Now back to the phenomena, it almost appears as a mirrored parallel of lower angled part of the cross. And since I am not familiar that much with physics of lens/mirrors, is there a possibiliy of sun reflection from the cross on a lens appearing as mirrored overlay over the picture ?

1984 said:
I dunno - it does look similar to the object 'falling' out of the cloud here: https://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,27750.msg341336.html#msg341336

That's what I thought too. It does look quite similar. It could be a reflection, it's hard to say.

agni said:
Hi Keit,

This is Spaso-Ephrosineuskaya Church/Monastery, correct ? My grandma used to live in a village close to this place. Thanks for the picture. Brings memories back :)

Yes, it is. It's really beautiful and serene there.

mkrnhr said:
Hello Keit,
I'm not sure about it but according to the shadows, it looks like the spot is pointing to the direction of the Sun. There is also a slight chromatic effect that hints to an optical effect. Also, according to the shadows, The Sun is slightly in front of the camera objective, not precisely at a right angle to the optical axis.
So my inclination is thus towards a reflexion of the Sun.

Thank you, mkrnhr, and others for your replies. Personally, I also think that it's probably a reflection or something similar, especially since it appears as an overlay on the cross and not behind it.

SeekinTruth said:
1984 said:

That's what I thought too. It does look quite similar. It could be a reflection, it's hard to say.
I hope this all right, as i did a little photo shop (windows, not a great program), and enhanced the picture a little to see if anything would stand out.

It is odd, as a typical lens flare has more of a graduation of refraction due to the composite's of glass of the type of lens, typical of a zoom lens, that comes with most point, and shot. Most lens, (made by repeatable camera makers), also incorporate a color correction with the construction of lens to avoid this distortion when pictures are taken under similar conditions. This helps minimize this problem of refraction.

Notice the one example below is similar to a typical lens flare, except that the sun is left angle, as to the one you took is right angle perhaps in the morning 11:00 hours or so, obviously from the east.

Having taken your example"s. and enhanced them the bottom one of the close up you did, kind of shows a bit lighting of the cross at the top, and at the base. As it has been indicated that it was in front of the stipple. This white stripe maybe might have been seen across the more that area, which does not. And the fact that it floated a bit on the first, then the second, and was gone on third, is odd. Also there is some color to it.

If i said UFO, or ghost, that might be a little baked noodles, so i will say i don't think it is a typical lens abrasion ether.

Attachments

• lens-hood2.jpg
    lens-hood2.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Kpic 3.jpg
    Kpic 3.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 6
  • picuqt.jpg
    picuqt.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 4
  • picuqt.jpg
    picuqt.jpg