Reiki and consent ...

nicklebleu

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
Hi,

Just did my Reiki-I this weekend. Interesting experience, I must say. Don't know really what to think of it. It certainly is some of the most relaxing thing I have experienced.

But my question here is the following: The Reiki teacher said, that Reiki energy is totally non-intrusive - and thus cannot harm someone else. Also because it is "universal energy", that works at such a fundamentla level.

Now I seem to remember reading a post about Reiki and consent, but was unable to find it. I asked the teacher, if the administration of Reiki to a person "without explicit consent" was a free-will violation or not. He said basically, that in his opinion this was not a free-will violation, because of the non-intrusiveness of the technique and because the access to this energy happened at such a level, that it only could do good. Now I am slightly uncomfortable with this and wanted to know your opinion, especially of those with more experience in Reiki.

Then on to the situation: If I am a health professional, and the patient comes to me for help, does this imply "tacit consent"? In normal Western medicine, this would not be the case, as you need "informed consent" for all invasive things (and medicine is "invasive" in almost every aspect). But what if Reiki was not "invasive" - would it be for instance ok, if the patient wanted to have a massage, and the massage therapist administered Reiki at the same time?

Looking forward to your input...

Just found this new thread which answeres some of my questions: http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=9245 by mamadrama ...
Guess it's almost the same question: What is help?
Still appreciate answers specifically related to Reiki, but otherwise guess we could continue this discussion on the above mentioned thread.

Welcome to the friendly Reiki community! I share your reluctance regarding your Reiki master's opinion on free will violation. Many Reiki people including my own master are dangerously close to the love and light scene and have their sacred cows. Critical thinking is not required. I read a lot in Reiki forums and I got the impression that once the esoteric dam is broken there are no more limits to wishful thinking.

At least 50% of my friends and family are somehow afraid of Reiki treatments. I would therefore never assume any "tacit consent" from others and always ask before any treatment. Even if Reiki would only do good (sacred cow) it might violate their free will.

If Reiki is not intrusive, what is it then? A surface treatment? I once had a shoulder incineration and I can assure you that a self treatment can hurt a lot and deep inside. Sometimes I even woke up at night in pain as I had my hand on my shoulder and an unintentional treatment had started. This is another reason for caution.

Another sacred cow is that Reiki can cure infections. The testimonies I found in Reiki forums, however, are less than convincing. They go like "my daughter's fever went away over night" or "my cold took only three weeks instead of six". This year I had the worst cold of my life with several reinfections. It took three and a half months. Reiki did not help at all in this case. I even tried to avoid it during this period but it was almost impossible due to unintentional nightly self treatments. Consequently I will never treat anybody with an infection and always ask if there is any.

Your example of a massage can lead to a little surprise, namely if you wish to treat with mutual consent only. Even if you don't intend to give Reiki it happens that it starts automatically, when you are close or in touch with another person. This is frequently reported in Reiki forums and I experienced it myself. Whenever I had a haircut at a certain shop from a certain hairdresser I had tingling in my hands and feet. I don't know what pulls the trigger in such cases. My understanding is that Reiki is then rather taken than given.

My overall experience with Reiki is positive despite my above comments. I am looking forward to my Reiki II attunement.

Back
Top Bottom