Rose hips - an old Nordic remedy against arthritic joints and other things

Aeneas

Ambassador
Ambassador
FOTCM Member
In talking to my father, I learned that he since a few years was taking rose hips powder against arthritic joints and to good effect. He is 83 years of age and when his 4 year older sister started to have arthritic joints, she on his advice did the same to good effect. My father said it was an old remedy commonly used in the past in Denmark (before Big Pharma's capture of the market).

When I then started to have a little arthritic pain in one joint in my arthritic ringfinger and also my right knee, I ordered some rose hips powder and started to take it and have done so about every other day if not every day since now about 7 months and the pain in the joints has gone. I usually just take about a small teaspoon along with a small teaspoon of glycine, sometimes mixing it with magnesium before going to bed.

Not finding anything on Sott, I found some articles on the web that appear to support the benefit of rose hips:

_8 Amazing Benefits of Rose Hips | Organic Facts
8 Amazing Benefits Of Rose Hips
4 Comments
The health benefits of rose hips include their ability to reduce [1] the symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis, relieve respiratory conditions, prevent cancer, lower cholesterol, manage diabetes, increase urination, regulate digestion, boost the immune system, increase circulation, and help in building stronger bones.

What Are Rose Hips?

Rose hips, also known as rose hep and rose haw, are the fruits of the rose plant. They usually form in late summer and autumn after the flowers have been pollinated [2]. Once the rosebud falls off, many people forget about roses, but the fruit of the plant is yet to come! The color is typically red, but it can also be orange, purple, or black. They are some of the most nutritionally packed fruits of any plant, which is why they have become such a desirable and sought-after product in markets around the world. Historically, they have been used for hundreds of years by the Americans as well as Europeans.
They were cultivated for a number of reasons, even as decoration due to their shape and color. Recently, the complete medicinal value was discovered. They were even used as pet food for animals because it was noticed that animals were particularly attracted to the scent and taste of these small fruit pods. When people began eating the components of rose hips, a great deal of attention shifted towards the potential it had for their health.
The most common forms of rose hips include jams, jellies, soups, tisanes, bread, wine, pies, and even marmalade. They are an extremely versatile ingredient enjoyed by people all around the globe, either due to the delicious flavor or for the nutritional benefits!
Nutritional Value Of Rose Hips

The reason that rose hips are so popular is because they are extremely effective in treating a wide variety of health conditions. How? The vitamins, minerals, organic compounds, and other essential nutrients in rose hips pack a very powerful punch! Some of these beneficial components include vitamin C, A, E, and vitamin B-complex, as well as minerals like calcium, iron, selenium, manganese, magnesium, phosphorous, potassium, sulfur, silicon, and zinc. Furthermore, the organic compounds [3], such as lycopene, pectin, lutein, and beta-carotene, are also very powerful and essential for the body. The antioxidant components, which include flavonoids, phytochemicals, and carotenoids also contribute to their health benefits.

Health Benefits Of Rose Hips

The health benefits of these unique fruits are mentioned below;

Prevent Chronic Diseases

The carotenoids, flavonoids, and polyphenols that can be found in rose hips are very powerful [4] antioxidants, which eliminate or neutralize free radicals found within the body. Free radicals are the by-products of cellular metabolism that damage healthy cells by causing them to mutate into cancerous cells, or simply killing them off. A lack of antioxidants is also connected to cancer, heart diseases, and premature aging. The antioxidants in rose hips are particularly adept at keeping the body healthy from all angles.

Lower Cholesterol

The organic compounds and antioxidant components [5] in rose hips also reduce the LDL cholesterol in your body, thereby reducing strain on your cardiovascular system and also lowering your chances of suffering a stroke or a heart attack.

Boost Immunity

Rose hips have an impressive amount [6] of vitamin C, which is one of the best components to boost the immune system. Vitamin C stimulates white blood cells and is also essential for the prevention of asthma and general health of the respiratory system. This can be seen in the reduction of respiratory conditions such as cold and flu through the intake of rose hips and its high levels of vitamin C.

Control Diabetes

Rose hips have been shown to strictly regulate the blood sugar level of the body, which is very important for people suffering [7] from diabetes. By keeping the balance of insulin and glucose in the body, they can prevent the sudden plunges or spikes in blood sugar that can be deadly.

Aid in Digestion

The various acids within rose hips, as well as pectin, are known to induce urination and excretion. As a diuretic rose hips can help eliminate [8] toxins from the body, as well as excess salts, liquids, and even fat. By stimulating bowel movements, rose hips can help a person avoid a number of unfortunate health conditions and discomforts.

Skin Care

People all over the world want their skin to look more beautiful, blemish-free, and youthful. There are hundreds of products and potential treatments for tightening and toning the skin and rose hips are one of the best options. The astringent quality [9] of rose hips keeps the skin elastic, so it doesn’t develop wrinkles. It eliminates the flaws easily, heals the burns and scars, and makes the skin look younger and vibrant.
Improve Circulation

Rose hips have a significant amount [10]of iron, which is an essential component in the creation of red blood cells. Therefore, having an adequate amount of rose hips in your diet can prevent anemia and also keep your essential organs well-oxygenated, thus increasing metabolic activity and optimizing the functionality of various organ systems.
Enhance Bone Health

One of the most important roles of vitamin C is its essential role [11] in producing collagen. Collagen, along with the other important minerals found in rose hips, can help prevent osteoporosis by maintaining bone mineral density well into your old age, keeping you strong, flexible, and able to live an active life!

And

_Rose Hip Powder Stops Arthritis Pain: Researcher

Rose Hip Powder Stops Arthritis Pain: Researcher

By Chris Pritchard | Friday, 14 February 2014 12:44 PM

A secret weapon to obtain relief from the dreadful pain of osteoarthritis (and other forms of arthritis) is as close as your kitchen’s counter-top blender.

A top university doctor says that his research shows that a tasty smoothie made with rose hip powder is often just as effective as powerful pain-killing drugs.

Dr. Marc Cohen, health sciences professor at RMIT University in Melbourne, Australia, said that rose hip powder works without the dangerous side effects of pain medications. Rose hip also comes in capsule form, which has shown to be just as effective as powder.

“I use rose hip myself,” he told Newsmax Health. “I have arthritis, but I’m not bothered by pain because I make myself a smoothie every morning. I add a tablespoon of rose hip powder. It has a pleasant but not overpowering taste.”

Denmark is a major producer of rose hip and it is featured in traditional Scandinavian foods – in soups and other dishes as well as in drinks.

Rose hip comes from seed pods of roses, like those found in gardens worldwide. They’re seldom encountered by gardeners because bushes tend to be pruned as blooms fade, encouraging more flowers. But, if dying flowers stay on bushes, tiny berry-like seed balls appear. Reddish colored, these are rose hips.

The average garden doesn’t produce enough for therapeutic value because many are needed to make powders or pills.

Besides, Dr. Cohen added, a specific type of rose is generally used for anti-inflammatory powders and pills. This prized variety is the dog rose (Rosa canina), a climbing type often found growing wild in Scandinavia as well as northern Africa and western Asia. For many centuries it’s been used as a traditional therapy for diarrhea, bladder infections, and a variety of other ills.

Dr. Cohen did a detailed meta-analysis of university studies regarding rose hips. His conclusion: “Rose hip works.”

He wrote that volunteers “reported treatment with standardized rose hip powder consistently reduced pain scores.”

This natural remedy is even more effective than drug-based painkillers, said Dr. Cohen, which can cause bleeding problems and other side effects.

“In contrast to non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (aspirin, ibuprofen, naproxen), rose hip has anti-inflammatory action that doesn’t inhibit platelets, thereby avoiding potential side-effects for patients at increased risk from the gastrointestinal or cardiovascular side effects,” the eminent researcher explained.

Rose hip works in reducing arthritis inflammation and associated pain because it contains a strong galactolipid (a plant membrane fat), maximizing retention of phytochemicals (chemical compounds in plants found to have significant health benefits).

Besides their value to osteoarthritis sufferers and those with other forms of arthritis, rose hip has been found in animal studies to ease the symptoms of inflammatory bowel disease (IBS).

“Human studies regarding IBS and rose hip are expected to start soon,” Dr Cohen said. “But it’s reasonable to assume the same will be true in humans. People with inflammatory bowel disease should be encouraged to try rosehip.”

He points out, “It’s not at all like strong synthetic drugs where people are ill-advised to take them if they’re not needed or to exceed prescribed doses because of side-effects.

“You buy rose hip over the counter at supermarkets or in health food stores – and if you take a little more than recommended doses there’s no adverse consequence.”

Dr. Cohen says rose hip is as effective in pill form as is the powder added to food. “In either case, I’d recommend two grams a day for a month, then dropping to one gram a day permanently.

And

_Rose Hips Uses, Benefits & Side Effects - Drugs.com Herbal Database

Rose Hips
Scientific names:
Commonly derived from Rosa canina, R. rugosa, R. acicularis, or R. cinnamomea. Numerous other species of rose have been used for the preparation of rose hips.
Common names: Rose hips also are known as heps and dog rose (R. canina).
Efficacy-safety rating:
ÒÒ...Ethno or other evidence of efficacy.
Safety rating:
●...No safety concerns despite wide use.

What is Rose Hips?
Rose hips are a perennial plant with thorny branches that give way to pink and white flowers and scarlet fruits, called “hips.” These rose hips are the ripe ovaries or seeded fruit of roses forming on branches after the flower. They are oval in shape and appear fleshy, shrunken, and wrinkled. Inside the hips are 3 or more small yellow-brown seeds. R. canina is native to Europe, North Africa, and temperate areas of Asia. The fruits (hips) are picked in autumn and used medicinally.

What is it used for?
Traditional/Ethnobotanical uses

Once used as a folk remedy for chest ailments, R. canina hips were popular in the Middle Ages. They are a natural source of vitamin C, which has led to their widespread use in natural vitamin supplements, teas, and various other preparations including soups and marmalades. Although these products have been used historically as nutritional supplements, they also have been used as mild laxatives and diuretics. Rose hip syrup was used as a nourishing drink for children and to flavor teas and jams.
Nutritional uses
Fresh rose hips contain 0.5 to 1.7% vitamin C. However, the vitamin C content of dried, commercially available rose hips products varies considerably. While some accounts suggest that rose hips are the richest natural source of vitamin C, a number of more concentrated sources have been identified. Citrus fruits contain approximately 50 mg vitamin C per 100 g; uncooked broccoli, kale, and kiwi fruit, approximately 100 mg; black currants, guavas, and some tropical vegetables, 200 to 300 mg; rose hips (Rosa canina), 1,250 mg; acerola or Barbados cherry (Malpighia punicifolia), 1,000 to 2,330 mg; and Terminalia ferdinandiana, up to 3,150 mg. In addition to vitamin C, rose hips also contain vitamins A, B1, B2, B3, and K. Other ingredients include pectin, tannins, flavonoids, carotenoids, and a variety of minor components.
In supportive therapy for cases of vitamin deficiency, use of rose hips for vitamin C is rational. Because a significant amount of the natural vitamin C in rose hips may be destroyed during drying and processing, many “natural vitamin supplements” have some form of vitamin C added to them. One must read the label carefully to determine what proportion of the vitamin C is derived from rose hips vs other sources. This information, however, is not always available on the package label but, when freshly consumed, rose hips have extremely high levels of vitamins in a form readily absorbed by the body.
Other uses
Rose hips also have been used for diuretic actions (its diuretic action has been disputed), to reduce thirst, and to alleviate gastric inflammation. None of these medicinal uses has been proven clinically.
What is the recommended dosage?
There is no recent clinical evidence upon which dosage recommendations can be based. Classical use of rose petals was 3 to 6 g daily.
How safe is it?
Contraindications

Contraindications have not yet been identified.
Pregnancy/nursing
Information regarding safety and efficacy in pregnancy and lactation is lacking.
Interactions
None well documented.
Side Effects
There have been no reported side effects except in those exposed to rose hips dust who have developed severe respiratory allergies.
Toxicities
No data.

I can attest to the beneficial effects of rose hips as supplement. I have been taking it alternatively in powder (capsules) and drops for almost a year now, and noticed a clear improvement in my arthritic shoulder and fingers. At times i still feel some pain (actually more of a discomfort) when the weather changes, but nothing like before. FWIW...

That's great. Thank you. I usually pick them fresh and dry them to make a tea. But I might make a powder this year.

Thank you for the recommendation Aeneas! I bought rose hip powder for my father who has been suffering from a painful athrosis in his hands and at least the pain caused by the inflammation lessened significantly.
And then some months back my finger joints started aching in the mornings, too and the powder works fine for me. I make my own coconut yoghurt with gelatine and add in rose hip powder and fresh tumeric. The days I don't take rose hips my hands start hurting again.

Hi Aeneas, I had a chance to try your recommendation this past summer and I can say it definitely helps. I now plan to keep a bottle with my first aid preps. Thanks for sharing.

I will suggest this to my mum, I’d not come across this as a treatment for arthritis. I used to drink rose hips tea during my pregnancies and it definitely seemed to help. It’s high in vitamin C, so perhaps that is part of the mechanism at work. Thanks for sharing!

Back
Top Bottom