School dreams

Quill

Jedi
In the past years I've seen occasionally repeating dreams about being back in technical school. The period in my life, when I was there, wasn't
exactly pleasant.

Anyway, there appears to be at least one factor, that is same in those dreams: voluntary action. In them I'm somehow aware, that I've already spend
years in that school, and left it behind, but still I have chosen to go there again.

In some of dreams, I was attending the army, instead of school.

In dreams like that, I still wonder: why the heck I have to insist on attending there again and again, although I'm much older now.
In that kind of dreams there weren't obvious threats, but still I was rather anxious, when waking up.

--
Besides all that, last week I saw a totally new kind of dream, where I was attending the upper stage of the elementary school. That era in my life,
what comes to school, wasn't overall that bad.

In that dream, I entered a big building, but there weren't any roadsigns at all. I tried to find my class, where the familiar friends were. I saw a
glimpse of one of them, but for some reason, I couldn't reach him.

I kept on walking and searching. Last thing, that I remember, is that I was on the top floor, opening the door, that led to open air. I felt acrophobic/vertiginous.

It could well be too early to draw conclusions, about why the new kind/flavour of dream appeared. But perhaps the emphasis/focus has changed in some way.

I've been having these school dreams for a long time, probably once every other month on average. I remember that this topic has come up before. A universal theme in these dreams is that I'm having a hard time getting to class or getting my bearings. Coursework is difficult or isn't getting done on time, which usually wasn't the case for me when I was really there. They take place primairly in high school or college, middle school on rare occasions. All of the dreams entail what you call "voluntary action," that I've already done this before and came back for some reason. Occasionally the school/college is a place I've never been before, and more esoteric subjects are studied. A sizable minority of the dreams seem to feature some type of love interest as a major component of my life at the school. The dreams aren't particularly vivid and don't have coherent narratives like some of my more impressive dreams I've shared on here. I just remember bits and pieces and the general direction that the dream took.

I've interpreted the dreams to mean that something in my life is off-track, I'm not living up to my potential, and a warning is being given that this is leading to difficulties. This has been going on for about a decade, so evidently the underlying issue was never resolved.

I've been having these school or university dreams on and off as well. And also the realization in the dream that I am already done with this, yet for some reason still going there. The relationship between school and "life lessons" seems pretty obvious, so it seems that it is indeed akin to showing us that we keep repeating things that we should already be done with by now.

When I dream about school I always get lost in there as the building changes/transforms or I’m late and can’t find the classroom... the last one I had I managed to get out (it is always a maze) but I forgot important things inside and I had to go back and get lost again. I guess those dreams are telling us that we need to go back to school but to learn life lessons instead of maths... 😅

I've had recurring dreams of being in school, and I have always felt they were a sort of message that is tied to the notion of life being lessons and there existing a school progress of sorts.

In some cases, it has meant that I am not paying attention to something I should be, in some others is simply reflecting my anxiety about thinking that I am missing out on something large and it's more like a fear than anything else, like a fear of being left behind. In some cases it can be something like, you've had this lesson once before.

From what I've learned dreams always pertain to the dreamer and the meaning of the elements to him/herself. So in these school dreams, you mentioned that it wasn't a particularly pleasant time of your life. Is this something you have been working through recently perhaps? and your dreams might be simply processing the waking ideas or conclusions? Or perhaps your mind is offering you a different perspective about those situations that you've forgotten about.

The emotions that accompany the dream are also significant, as I think those are one of the ways the imagery of the dreams reaches us. So perhaps journaling about them, and logging in the emotional impact of the dreams might give you a clue as to their origin and purpose.

Keep in mind that dreams are also a way for our minds to process the waking experiences, so they might also be influenced by what you do during the day and what you've been reading or watching.

My two cents

I've had recurring dreams of being in school, and I have always felt they were a sort of message that is tied to the notion of life being lessons and there existing a school progress of sorts.

In some cases, it has meant that I am not paying attention to something I should be, in some others is simply reflecting my anxiety about thinking that I am missing out on something large and it's more like a fear than anything else, like a fear of being left behind. In some cases it can be something like, you've had this lesson once before.

From what I've learned dreams always pertain to the dreamer and the meaning of the elements to him/herself. So in these school dreams, you mentioned that it wasn't a particularly pleasant time of your life. Is this something you have been working through recently perhaps? and your dreams might be simply processing the waking ideas or conclusions? Or perhaps your mind is offering you a different perspective about those situations that you've forgotten about.

The emotions that accompany the dream are also significant, as I think those are one of the ways the imagery of the dreams reaches us. So perhaps journaling about them, and logging in the emotional impact of the dreams might give you a clue as to their origin and purpose.

Keep in mind that dreams are also a way for our minds to process the waking experiences, so they might also be influenced by what you do during the day and what you've been reading or watching.

My two cents
Thanks Alejo and all.

My intention is to go through the past negative experiences, to see them as things, that just happened to be part of my life.
Forgiving others and myself. Also an attempt to process the role of me being as a victim.

I'm currently reading HDT(Healing Developmental Trauma). It appears to be very dense and deep stuff. And straight to the point.
I've never before read text like that, and at times, it's almost hard to digest.

Perhaps it's the subconscious mind, that gets or understands the message in more direct way.

What comes to journaling the dreams, I've always had my excuses for not doing it. But at this day and age, it's either do, or not do.

Thanks Alejo and all.

My intention is to go through the past negative experiences, to see them as things, that just happened to be part of my life.
Forgiving others and myself. Also an attempt to process the role of me being as a victim.

I'm currently reading HDT(Healing Developmental Trauma). It appears to be very dense and deep stuff. And straight to the point.
I've never before read text like that, and at times, it's almost hard to digest.

Perhaps it's the subconscious mind, that gets or understands the message in more direct way.

What comes to journaling the dreams, I've always had my excuses for not doing it. But at this day and age, it's either do, or not do.
That surely is one heck of a book,

And yes I think journaling is a very nice tool, it helps you slow down thoughts and notice meaning behind them. Sometimes a lot will be found that you hadn't noticed, and as you process your memories it might bring you answers, or further questions. But it always seems to be positive.

Mine is usually some variation of this scenario: I am in college or sometimes high school, the semester is drawing to a close and I am prepping or actually sitting for finals, and I somehow realize there is a class Ive failed to attend all semester.

In some dreams, I’ve simply forgotten about it. In others, I’ve blown the class off and am trapped. I usually go through some distress attempting to remedy a hopeless situation - cramming an entire semester of unfamiliar material into a single night’s study or desperately trying to find the professor in some vain hope of bargaining.

As the sheer hopelessness of the situation descends, I usually wake and spend a few moments in the dawning realization that it was only a dream. What’s strange is that I never actually experienced that in reality (at least in this life - ha). Like others here, I mull these dreams over in terms of the many possible meanings, and while they are less frequent as years go by, I can’t say I’ve really settled on a satisfactory deeper interpretation.

Mine is usually some variation of this scenario: I am in college or sometimes high school, the semester is drawing to a close and I am prepping or actually sitting for finals, and I somehow realize there is a class Ive failed to attend all semester.

This type of school dream has been a recurring dream for me as well. It’s test day or the day of the final exam and I forgot I signed up for the course. Seems like sometimes I attend class at the start of the course but then forget about the class altogether until the day of the final exam. The feeling of 'how did I forget this?' is strong.

--
Besides all that, last week I saw a totally new kind of dream, where I was attending the upper stage of the elementary school. That era in my life,
what comes to school, wasn't overall that bad.

In that dream, I entered a big building, but there weren't any roadsigns at all. I tried to find my class, where the familiar friends were. I saw a
glimpse of one of them, but for some reason, I couldn't reach him.

I kept on walking and searching. Last thing, that I remember, is that I was on the top floor, opening the door, that led to open air. I felt acrophobic/vertiginous.

It could well be too early to draw conclusions, about why the new kind/flavour of dream appeared. But perhaps the emphasis/focus has changed in some way.
There’s currently a thread on the forum about the early school years. Maybe seeing and/or reading part of the thread below contributed to the appearance of this new type of school dream?

There’s currently a thread on the forum about the early school years. Maybe seeing and/or reading part of the thread below contributed to the appearance of this new type of school dream?

I'm not quite sure. Since I came out of 'closet', and started to write about my past life here in this forum, and started to read the recommended book, they might have something(if not all) to do with it. I'm a newbie with this kind of participation.

What comes to school dreams, as far as I remember, the real life friends and even bullies were always bystanders. Although I sensed, that they were present, the focus of those dreams was again, always on the situation itself.

Everybody else seemed to have clear instructions, how to proceed in school.
It may well reflect the time, when I was a teenager, and saw my friends changing. They had no more time for 'boys things'.

Obviously that is natural development for most of us, but I felt like an outsider, and didn't feel like fitting to that kind of 'growing'.
Instead of being bitter about it, I was confused.

I guess that's one of the things I'm going through, and intend to process. Hope this makes sense.

I've been also experiencing these kinds of dreams quite often recently, maybe not every night but often enough to get my attention.

In the dream, I'm usually attending a technical university, not quite the same that I completed several years ago but nevertheless the curriculum is focused similarly at getting the final science title or being before some kind of an ending exam.
The recurring theme is that I am aware of the fact that I've already completed the school, that I've already been on those courses and I am already a graduate. So what the heck am I doing here?

The theme usually continues with me dodging the classes, running somewhat from the prospect of learning some things again, even from those things that I know that I don't remember and would require some work to put into.
There is a slight feeling of anxiety but more profound is the feeling of annoyance mixed with indifference. The teachers and peers require me to do some things but I mostly reply that I don't need to, I've already done it, come on!

When I do wake up, I'm feeling a breeze of relief that I'm already out of school.

Can't really get a handle on the meaning of those dreams. Am I ignoring something or do I need some kind of review? Or am I stuck somewhere where I should just move on? Trying to figure it out.

I had a dream recently. Periodically I dream about being in school, taking a test, doing assignments, and one time I was even trapped in school. In all of my dreams the schools or classrooms look like the typical American highschool. They have lookers, hallways and classic individual desks.

Recently I dreamt of being in a university classroom. This is completely new to me. I don't remember ever having a university/college dream. The classroom was huge and every seat had a cable and a screen. Suddenly I remembered that the cable was "universal". So I pulled a laptop out of my backpack and it plugged right in. The screen came on and I was able to work on my assignment. Then I realized that I already took "geography and history" before. Then surprise surprise, I already have a degree. In fact "I only need to take 3 more classes and I can get an additional degree". I don't need to do this. So I told the classmate next to me and left in the middle of class. I started to look for a "science" class (because I wanted the second degree) and walked into the science classroom. It was empty but I found some orange juice neatly arranged in a metal tray.
I took a cup of OJ and walked out of the classroom into the walkways on campus. I started to recognize everything around me. My plan was to walk back to my car and leave, unless somebody stopped me. I keept walking until I saw a line of students walking into a classroom. I thought of walking in with them but nobody recognized me. The teacher in that class kind of closed the door on me (I don't know what class this was). So I just kept walking away...

What's interesting to me, is that I never been on a university set-up before (in my dreams)
Then I remembered that I already have a degree. I'm done, I don't need to be here. So I left.
I'm not exactly sure how to interpret my dream. Any thoughts, comments or opinions?

I've been also experiencing these kinds of dreams quite often recently, maybe not every night but often enough to get my attention.

In the dream, I'm usually attending a technical university, not quite the same that I completed several years ago but nevertheless the curriculum is focused similarly at getting the final science title or being before some kind of an ending exam.
The recurring theme is that I am aware of the fact that I've already completed the school, that I've already been on those courses and I am already a graduate. So what the heck am I doing here?

The theme usually continues with me dodging the classes, running somewhat from the prospect of learning some things again, even from those things that I know that I don't remember and would require some work to put into.
There is a slight feeling of anxiety but more profound is the feeling of annoyance mixed with indifference. The teachers and peers require me to do some things but I mostly reply that I don't need to, I've already done it, come on!

When I do wake up, I'm feeling a breeze of relief that I'm already out of school.

Can't really get a handle on the meaning of those dreams. Am I ignoring something or do I need some kind of review? Or am I stuck somewhere where I should just move on? Trying to figure it out.
Oh wow I just realized my dream is similar in theme to yours. Have you been able to figure out the meaning behind it?

I don't know if this has any relevance to you. Personally I feel like it doesn't matter in the slightest what I do in the "3D" world. Any of it is not of importance, career, dreams and goals. I'm taking about materialistic goals and dreams. Everything feels like it's been planned out... What's important it's the soul and that which can't be bought (family, friends, health, etc).. Anyways this kind of ties with being done with classes and having a degree for me...What do you think?

I used to have ALOT of school dreams, mainly taking place in middle school which was a time that I got bullied. In these dreams I would be in my old middle school or a variation of my middle school with people that I went to middle school with ( mainly friends at that time). In these dreams, I would always be speaking to different people as if I knew everyone and was very popular which was the opposite in reality. Even though I knew people when I was in middle school, I was mainly shy and would get anxiety just walking down the hall because I thought I was walking funny and people were judging me and laughing at me. During this time, I got bullied because I had acne and was shy but in these dreams I was cool with everyone and was quite the rebel! I was very studious in middle school and I remember the one time that I got indoor suspension ( for something that I didn't do) I was extremely worried and was asking if it would affect me going to college lol.

When I got to high school, I was much more rebellious and didn't really care about getting in trouble. I guess this was my way of "showing off" to people and detaching from how I was in middle school. I've had dreams that take place in high school and college but about 90% of them takes place in middle school where I was shyer and less social. I haven't really had these dreams anymore, This could probably be because I'm more social, not as shy, and carefree. Its funny how life shows you what you need to improve on in the most unexpected ways. For a long time I've thought about what these repeated school dreams could mean and now as I'm writing this I realized what It was possibly telling me all this time.

Back
Top Bottom