Scotch Eggs - Gluten Free

Rich

The Living Force
For lunch I love having Cornish pasty or a scotch Egg. Quick, easy and filling :)
These Scotch eggs are not that easy to make but I was very pleased how they turned out because they taste great.

A Scotch egg consists of a whole soft or hard-boiled egg wrapped in sausage meat, coated in bread crumbs and baked or deep-fried
Origin:
There are a number of different theories about the origins and etymology of Scotch eggs, and no firm conclusion. The OED gives the first instance of the name as 1809, in an edition of Maria Rundell's A New System of Domestic Cookery. For her, as with most other writers of the time, they were a dinner dish, served hot with gravy.[1] They did not, at that time, have a breadcrumb layer, although by 1861 Isabella Beeton suggested this as an option.

As a cold item, the London department store Fortnum & Mason claims to have invented Scotch eggs in 1738, as a traveller's snack, but based this on archival material since lost. They certainly popularised them, including them as part of their various hampers.

Other claims include the name coming from a nickname used by Londoners who lived around Wellington Barracks after Officers of the Scots Guards stationed there, and who developed a taste for the snack.[2] According to Culinary Delights of Yorkshire, they originated in Whitby, Yorkshire, England, in the 19th century, and were originally covered in fish paste rather than sausage meat. They were supposedly named after William J. Scott & Sons, a well-known eatery which sold them.[3] However, the date does not fit with the known use of the term at least 75 years earlier. It has also been suggested that they I were originally called "scorch" eggs, as they were cooked over an open flame, though according to surviving recipes they were deep-fried in lard. Scotching as a culinary process is also sometimes cited as the origin, though what scotching was is open to interpretation, from the inclusion of anchovies, to simply mincing meat.[4] Further confusion is added by the large trade in eggs from Scotland in the 19th century, and which sometimes involved dipping eggs in a lime powder - a process (possibly) also known as 'scotching'.
---
Ingredients (Serves 5 | Prep time: 20m | Cooking time: 35m | - 6 Small eggs - 300g Sausage meat - Handful fresh parsley - 60g ground Linseed

Original recepies use breadcrumbs as a layer around the finished eggs. Instead of that I used ground Linseed. Which just adds a little bit of texture.
I also omitted the fresh parsley since I didn't have any. Some also suggest deep frying instead of baking. Which is possible if you have the right equipment but I think baking turned out well and is simpler.
For the sausage meat, I used Laura's sausage recepie

Method:
  1. Cook 5 of the 6 eggs in boiling water for 6 minutes. Cool then peel off the shells.
  2. Mix freshly chopped parsley into the sausage meat.
  3. Split the sausage meat into 5. For each scotch egg, spread the sausage meat in the middle of a piece of cling film.
  4. Place the egg on top. Use the cling film to wrap the sausage meat around the egg. Do this for all 5 eggs.
  5. Once covered in meat, coat each egg in the flour, then remaining whisked egg, then breadcrumbs.
  6. Bake on 180c/350f for 30 minutes. When golden and the sausage meat is cooked, leave to cool and enjoy.
TIP! Make sure you thoroughly boil your eggs so that they are fully cooked first :)
2020-10-20.jpg
Happy scotching! :)

Back
Top Bottom