Self observation and STO from Jesus to Alcoholics Anonymous

go2

Dagobah Resident
Vide said:
go2 said:
I began the search for the truth in a Twelve Step Program. They are based on the Oxford Group movement of the early Twentieth Century, which was roughly esoteric Christianity.

This is taking the thread astray, but this comment picqued my interest.
Go2, How do you see actions and/or principals of the Oxford Group relating to esoteric Christianity?
Do/did you see those things in your respective 12 step program too? (Roughly...

I want to start by acknowledging that I am not an expert on these topics, with the exception of my personal experience with the Twelve Steps. You bring up a vast subject, so I will limit my comments to two principles, self-observation and service to others. I will answer your first question starting with the words of Jesus as written by the author of Luke 8:16-18 regarding self observation as the key to reveal the contradictions and lies composing the programs of our human personality. The words may seem strange, for various reasons the truth is hidden in plain sight. I will consider the lighted lamp to be self observation which fulfills the ancient admonition to know thyself. This concept of self examination is thereby traced from its origins in this fragment of history as a principle of esoteric Christianity in the words of Jesus.

Jesus said:
Luke 8:16-18(king James Version)

16No man, when he hath lighted a candle, covereth it with a vessel, or putteth it under a bed; but setteth it on a candlestick, that they which enter in may see the light.
17For nothing is secret, that shall not be made manifest; neither any thing hid, that shall not be known and come abroad.
18Take heed therefore how ye hear: for whosoever hath, to him shall be given; and whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken even that which he seemeth to have.

Next, the principle of service to others, is illustrated again by the words of Jesus as written by the author of Luke.

Jesus said:
Luke 10:30-37 (King James Version)
30And Jesus answering said, A certain man went down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and fell among thieves, which stripped him of his raiment, and wounded him, and departed, leaving him half dead.
31And by chance there came down a certain priest that way: and when he saw him, he passed by on the other side.
32And likewise a Levite, when he was at the place, came and looked on him, and passed by on the other side.
33But a certain Samaritan, as he journeyed, came where he was: and when he saw him, he had compassion on him,
34And went to him, and bound up his wounds, pouring in oil and wine, and set him on his own beast, and brought him to an inn, and took care of him.
35And on the morrow when he departed, he took out two pence, and gave them to the host, and said unto him, Take care of him; and whatsoever thou spendest more, when I come again, I will repay thee.
36Which now of these three, thinkest thou, was neighbour unto him that fell among the thieves?
37And he said, He that shewed mercy on him. Then said Jesus unto him, Go, and do thou likewise.

I would like to include a comment on these teaching of knowing ones self and service to others, which perhaps come to man from another realm. They are integral to the work method for transforming the innerman. No one group or person can lay claim to these principles as their original idea or property. These ideas are conveyed to mankind by teachers who work first on themselves and then offer escape to those who ask, from the slavery of the personality, if I could use that phrase. The words change with time and the messenger, but the basic truth seems to remain the same. I will follow with two quotes on the subject of origin and transmission of these concepts, which I also find to be fundamental to the work on the Cassiopaea Forum. The first quote from Jesus and the second from Cassiopedia on Gurdjieffs humorous reply to Mourajieff’s question about the origin of the Fourth Way.

Jesus said:
John 7:16
“My teaching is not my own, but him who sent me.”

Cassiopedia said:
Esoteric Christianity
This term is used by Mouravieff when referring to his version of the 4th Way teachings. Many of the ideas brought to the surface by Gurdjieff are, according to Mouravieff, found in scattered form in the inner tradition of Eastern Orthodoxy. These are documented in Mouravieff's Gnosis series.
Mouravieff is said to have met Gurdjieff in Paris and to have asked him:
'"I find the system at the base of Christian doctrine," . "What do you say to this subject?"
Gurdjieff replied, "It's the ABC. But they didn't understand at all."
"Is the system yours?"
"No. . ."
"Where did you find it?--From where did you take it?"
"Perhaps," said Gurdjieff, "I stole it."
As to the latter point--his stealing the teaching--one must remember how Gurdjieff taught. Mouravieff, as his writings show, was negatively fixated on Gurdjieff. He believed the worst of him. Gurdjieff's answer to Mouravieff was merely mirroring what was in Mouravieff's mind.
About the teaching's origin, what Gurdjieff is saying is that the teaching passed through Christianity but they did not understand it; that is how to properly use it. Not only did the Church Fathers not understand this but they were confused about their own origins. Ouspensky reports that Gurdjieff said that Christianity was "not invented by the fathers of the church. It was all taken in a ready-made form from Egypt, only not from the Egypt that we know but from one which we do not know. This Egypt was in the same place as the other but it existed much earlier. . . prehistoric Egypt was Christian many thousands of years before the birth of Christ."
It is true that many Christian motifs may be traced to Egyptian exemplars, for example the sacrificed and risen savior. Beyond this It also appears that contemporary Egyptology falls short of providing a whole account of Egypt. Beyond this, it is hard to comment on Ouspensky's and Gurdjieff's statements on Egyptian origins of the Work.

The following quotes say that the Oxford Group described itself as a First Century Christian Fellowship. I interpret this to mean the teachings of Jesus as they were understood from the New Testament by the Oxford Group, with perhaps with some Revelation from the founder, Frank Buchman’s experience, but this is my speculation. I haven’t studied all the information available on the origin of the Oxford Group. The principles of the Oxford Group include self examination and service. The Oxford Group quote is from the website: _ttp://www.12step.com/history.html

12step.com said:
For many of the steps, AA owes a debt of gratitude to the Oxford Group, a Christian organization in existence around the early part of the 20th century that proved influential to early founders of AA. According to Wilson, the Oxford Group "laid particular emphasis on spiritual principles that we needed. But in fairness," he added, "it should also be said that many of their attitudes and practices" were discarded because they were found to be incompatible.

12step.com said:
From "A First Century Christian Fellowship" to "Moral Re-Armament, The Oxford Group had many faces throughout the 20th Century. The Oxford Group began under the leadership of Frank Buchman, a Lutheran Minister and attained world wide fame by the time World War 2 began.
Basic Principles
The Oxford Group had many different teachings, but the most important teachings as espoused by Frank Buchman can be summarized in 4 points:
• 1. Absolute Honesty
• 2. Absolute Purity
• 3. Absolute Unselfishness
• 4. Absolute Love
Bill W. and the Oxford Group
Bill Wilson attended the Oxford Group in New York between 1932 and 1933 and many times directly connected the 12 Steps to his attendance at Oxford Group meetings. In fact, Rev. Sam Shoemaker, Buchman's partner personally assisted Bill Wilson's writing of Alcohol Anonymous' "The Big Book." Despite these clear connections, Bill Wilson drifted away from the Oxford Group's "Buchmanism" by mainstreaming the thoughts and ideologies of A.A. and the 12 Steps.

Bill Wilson said:
"The important thing is this: the early A.A. got its ideas of self-examination, acknowledgment of character defects, restitution for harm done, and working with others straight from the Oxford Groups."

This traces the concept of self examination to what is known in Alcoholics Anonymous as a personal inventory. This principle is in Step Four and Step Ten of The Twelve Steps of Alcoholics Anonymous. The principle of service to others occurs in Step Twelve. I will copy the Twelve Steps next for your examination.
_http://www.aa.org/lang/en/site_map.cfm

Alcoholics Anonymous said:
Service Material from the General Service Office

THE TWELVE STEPS OF ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS

1. We admitted we were powerless over alcohol—that our lives had become unmanageable.
2. Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.
3. Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him.
4. Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.
5. Admitted to God, to ourselves, and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.
6. Were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character.
7. Humbly asked Him to remove our shortcomings.
8. Made a list of all persons we had harmed, and became willing to make
amends to them all.
9. Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.
10. Continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong promptly admitted it.
11. Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God, as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out.
12. Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these Steps, we tried to carry this message to alcoholics, and to practice these principles in all our affairs.

Copyright _ A.A. World Services, Inc.

The next quote is from comments of Mel B regarding the principles or concepts underlying The Twelve Steps of Alcoholics Anonymous. This might add clarity on how I see the teachings of esoteric Christianity embodied in the Twelve Steps of AA.
_http://www.aabibliography.com/sept2000/melb.html

aabibliography.com said:
But what, exactly, are these principles and where did they come from? Over the years a list of principles that correspond to each of the Twelve Steps has been printed in local area AA newsletters and on pocket cards. The origin of this list is unknown, although used by many Twelve step members:
Principles of the 12 Steps:

1. Surrender. (Capitulation to hopelessness.)
2. Hope. (Step 2 is the mirror image or opposite of step 1. In step 1 we admit that alcohol is our higher power, and that our lives are unmanageable. In step 2, we find a different Higher Power who we hope will bring about a return to sanity in management of our lives.)
3. Commitment. (The key word in step 3 is decision.)
4. Honesty. (An inventory of self.)
5. Truth. (Candid confession to God and another human being.)
6. Willingness. (Choosing to abandon defects of character.)
7. Humility. (Standing naked before God, with nothing to hide, and asking that our flaws—in His eyes—be removed.)
8. Reflection. (Who have we harmed? Are we ready to amend?)
9. Amendment. (Making direct amends/restitution/correction, etc..)
10. Vigilance. (Exercising self-discovery, honesty, abandonment, humility, reflection and amendment on a momentary, daily, and periodic basis.)
11. Attunement. (Becoming as one with our Father.)
12. Service. (Awakening into sober usefulness.)
The origins of AA's principles, and of the AA program itself, can be traced back to the Oxford Group, a nondenominational spiritual movement. The cofounders of AA, Bill Wilson
and Dr. Bob Smith, were both associated with the Oxford Group prior to their meeting in 1935. (Bill attended meetings for five months and Dr. Bob for two and a half years.) The Oxford Group's influence on the development of AA was substantial. As Bill Wilson wrote in A1coholics Anonymous Comes of Age, "The important thing is this: the early A.A. got its ideas of self-examination, acknowledgment of character defects, restitution for harm done, and working with others straight from the Oxford Groups."

I hope this answers your questions, Vide. I also hope I have not strayed to far from the truth of the history of these teachings and their importance and appearance in the affairs of mankind over millennia. The phrases self observation, self examination, lighting a lamp, debugging the self, and inventory all convey the transforming idea know thyself, which implies that we don't know ourselves and that this failure to recognize our mechanical nature is the very mechanism by which we are enslaved. I have personal experience with these two concepts of self observation and service to others in the inventory and service work of Alcoholics Anonymous and now with deeper understanding from the work of Gurdjieff, Mouravieff, and the Cassiopean Forum. Thank you for this opportunity to make a small contribution..

I want to start by acknowledging that I am not an expert on these topics, with the exception of my personal experience with the Twelve Steps. You bring up a vast subject, so I will limit my comments to two principles, self-observation and service to others.

Excellent points Go2 . I'm not an expert either. You bring up two principles that I have observed myself and practiced in AA.

"AA is good' and any criticism of it is 'bad' is/was a sacred cow for me. In an effort to separate the wheat from the chafe, I have been reading about AA's history and ran across The Orange Papers website. http://www.orange-papers.org

Although, I'm leary of any one calling an organization a cult, I could see some truth in what the website was talking about as it relates to AA as an organization and it's practices. For starters, the 'cult' questions about AA. From my experience these are true to extent, especially the unwritten mystery step "Thou Shall Not Question"

Here are a few:

1. The Guru is always right.
The Guru, his organization, and his teachings are all considered above criticism and beyond reproach.
A.A. scores a 10 on this one.

William Griffith Wilson
November 26 1895 - January 24 1971
Born: East Dorset, Vermont
One just does not criticize the Founders, Bill Wilson and Doctor Bob, or their wonderful program. Bill Wilson's "Big Book" -- really titled "Alcoholics Anonymous" -- is cited as the ultimate answer for everything, a new Bible for contemporary alcoholics. If Bill said something, then it is automatically true. In the eyes of the A.A. faithful, Bill Wilson never made a mistake after he started A.A., and never gave bad advice to any A.A. member. Bill Wilson was a paragon of sanity, clarity, wisdom, and honesty.

Many of the true believers in Alcoholics Anonymous actually believe that Bill Wilson's writings were inspired by God, just like the Bible. They say that Wilson wrote the Twelve Steps while receiving guidance from God. The faithful reverently pore over books like The Big Book, Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions, and As Bill Sees It as if they were holy scriptures, rather than the ravings of a lunatic. Bill's writings in the Big Book -- "the first 164 pages" -- are considered to be so sacred that they cannot ever be updated, fixed, or changed. The 4th edition of the Big Book was just released, and the first 164 pages are still unchanged. Not a single lie or error was corrected.

The faithful stubbornly ignore the fact that the Big Book and Bill Wilson's other writings demonstrate all too clearly that he was suffering from Delusions of Grandeur, specifically "Delusional (Paranoid) Disorder, Grandiose Type, mental disorder number 297.10" as described in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders of the American Psychiatric Association, on pages 200 to 203 in the third edition (DSM-III-R), and on pages 297 to 301 in the fourth edition (DSM-IV).

Bill Wilson was also a textbook case of "Narcissistic Personality Disorder, mental disorder number 301.81" -- again, as described in the DSM-IV, on pages 658-661.

The faithful also pointedly ignore the overwhelming evidence that Bill Wilson was

* selfish, manipulative,
* superstitious,
* egotistical, arrogant,
* vicious,
* financially dishonest,
* a philandering sexual predator,
* a liar,
* a con artist, and
* insane.

The faithful even ignore the fact that Bill Wilson took sexual advantage of sick women who came to A.A. seeking help to avoid death from alcohol. While women were still shaky, cloudy-headed, and confused from alcohol poisoning and alcohol withdrawal, Bill Wilson was scheming to get into their pants. That is an especially heartless kind of exploitation of vulnerable people.

Dr. Robert Holbrook Smith
August 8 1879 - November 16 1950
Born: Johnsbury, Vermont
Likewise, the true believers ignore the evidence that Dr. Robert Smith, the other co-founder of A.A., had serious mental problems of his own. The faithful proclaim was Dr. Bob was a wise saint, in spite of the facts that:

* Doctor Bob seems to have been a power-tripping neurotic dogmatic religious fanatic who got his kicks by having people surrender to God on their knees before him. He was so narrow-minded that he wrote in the Big Book that he feels sorry for you if you won't accept the religious proclamations of the Bill and Bob team:

If you think you are an atheist, an agnostic, a skeptic, or have any other form of intellectual pride which keeps you from accepting what is in this book, I feel sorry for you.
The Big Book, 3rd & 4th Editions, Dr. Robert Holbrook Smith, Doctor Bob's Story, Page 181.

* Doctor Bob was such an insane autocratic tyrant that he forced a 31-year-old alcoholic womanizer on his 17-year-old step-daughter Sue Smith in order to break up her high-school romance with her teenage boyfriend Ray Windows, whom Doctor Bob didn't like. The older alcoholic was "A.A. Number Four" -- the constantly-relapsing, philandering, Ernie Galbraith -- the author of the Big Book first edition story "The Seven-Month Slip". The 'seven-month slip' was not a small slip after seven months of sobriety; it was a full-blown seven-month-long hard-drinking relapse after a year of sobriety.

You would think that Doctor Bob should have learned something about Ernie from reading his autobiographical story in the Big Book, but no, Doctor Bob didn't learn anything. Then, after Ernie took Susan for himself, Doctor Bob complained bitterly that Ernie Galbraith had "double-crossed him" by seducing Sue Smith.2
* Dr. Bob was so damaged by alcohol that he was apparently incapable of supporting himself and his family while ostensibly still practicing medicine. Dr. Bob had to be supported by an A.A. handout for the rest of his life.
What kind of a doctor is so incapable of earning his own keep that he has to be supported by charity?

See Item 38, Disturbed Guru, for more information on these two sterling examples of sanity and wisdom.

5. Cult-speak.

A.A. has plenty of cultish terminology, lots of loaded language and bombastically redefined words, and a whole bunch of mind-bending slogans and thought-stopping clichés.

In his writings, William Wilson displayed a really bad case of the Alice in Wonderland "Words mean whatever I want them to mean" syndrome:

* This is a good redefinition: in Alcoholics Anonymous terminology, the word "sobriety" doesn't mean "not drinking" or "an unintoxicated state"; it has this bombastic redefinition:
"A special state of Grace gained by working the Steps and maintaining absolute abstinence. It is characterized by feelings of Serenity and Gratitude. It is a state of living according to God's will, not one's own. It is sanity."
(Even the word "sanity" here is redefined; it is Frank Buchman's "surrendered-to-God-control", or surrendered-to-Frank-control, state of living.)
Then A.A. members speak about "the quality of someone's sobriety" as if evaluating levels or degrees of spirituality.

* Another redefinition: "recovery" does not mean rebuilding your health, mind, body, and life while not drinking; it means going to A.A. meetings, doing The Twelve Steps, and abstaining from alcohol. According to A.A. dogma, someone can't be recovering from alcoholism if he isn't going to A.A. meetings and doing The Twelve Steps; he's "only abstaining", or "only dry", or "only a dry drunk".

Note that those two redefinitions -- sobriety and recovery -- allow A.A.-dominated drug and alcohol treatment facilities, which are financed with public tax dollars, to advertise jobs as being reserved for people who are "in recovery, with at least 6 months of sobriety", and then only hire other members of the Twelve-Step religion. It sounds like a nice hire-the-handicapped policy, but it is really religious discrimination, which violates many different laws, but they seem to be getting away with it anyway.

* A "dry drunk" is someone who has quit drinking alcohol, but who won't do Bill Wilson's Twelve Steps. Such an unfortunate fellow will supposedly display all of the objectionable characteristics and behavior of an obnoxious drunkard, even though he hasn't drunk any alcohol. In addition, dry drunks are supposed to be angry and resentful and bitterly unhappy, because they aren't getting big doses of "Serenity and Gratitude" from doing the Twelve Steps.

6. Group-think, Suppression of Dissent, and Enforced Conformity in Thinking

It practices group-think to the max, has standard answers for everything, and discourages independent thought or criticism of the program. "If you try to do things your own way, you will make a mistake and relapse, and probably die drunk. Just do things the tried and true way. Avoid independent thinking; just stop thinking for yourself," they say, "because 'Your best thinking got you here.' Your thinking is alcoholic. Your brain is too messed up from alcohol for you to be able to think for yourself."

The true-believer old-timers say that the answer to everything is, "Do the Twelve Steps, get a sponsor, and read The Big Book."
And they also say, " READ THE BOOK, get a SPONSOR, develop a HIGHER POWER UNDERSTANDING, don't DRINK, go to MEETINGS, and call other ALCOHOLICS."

The only exception to this rule is anger: the old-timers are permitted to snap and snarl at newcomers who don't conform to the program, and put them down with caustic remarks that drip with sarcasm and condescension. And they pass that behavior off as "tough love." And of course the oldtimers can attack critics of A.A. with anger, and that does not seem to violate those principles of "spirituality".

7. Irrationality.
For everything from expecting God to micro-manage their lives, and solve all of their problems, to their claims that God delivers miracles on demand, to Bill Wilson's demands that we all stop thinking, give up "Reason" and human intelligence, and just "have faith."

Robert Thomsen and Ernest Kurtz described in their books how Ebby Thacher and his friend Shep Cornell worked to convert Bill Wilson to Buchmanism:

Ebby and Shep C. were now asking him to give up the one attribute of which he was the most proud, the one quality that set a man above the animals -- his inquiring, rational mind. And they wanted him to give this up for an illusion.
... what they were asking him to do represented weakness to him. How could a man so demean himself as to surrender the one thing in which he should have faith, his innate, inquiring mind?

It might be the last arrogant gasp of alcoholic pride but, miserable and terrified as he was, he would not humble himself here. On this point he would go out swinging.
Not-God, Ernest Kurtz, page 18, and
Bill W., Robert Thomsen, pages 213-214.

Oxford Group cult member who then went on to exhort all other alcoholics to also abandon Reason, logic, and human intelligence, and just "have faith."

Bill Wilson stated over and over again that he wanted people to abandon logic, scientific thinking, and reason, and use superstition and faith as the answer to all of their problems

Do you find this to be true as well? I can see the STO side of it and and the Know Thyself part and how they relate to the Work. Are you still 'active' in your fellowship? If you don't mind my asking:)

Hi Vide,

I think you might be 'filling in the empty spaces' with your conclusion that 12-step programs are based on esoteric christianity. It would be very much like someone saying that the Lutheran Church is based on esoteric christianity - yes, there are some slight similarities, but the line of force is completely different.

Isn't it true that one tenet of 12-step groups is to 'give it up to a higher power'? If so, what similarity do you see with this over-arching mind-set to the line of force in esoteric christianity that (very simplified) the truth lies in self-awakening and response-ability - learning to Be - not in some outside force to whom one should 'give it up'?

I understand there is a fine line there, but the devil is in the details. Another example would be the 'self-improvement' courses like Landmark where similarities could also be found if one looked hard enough - but the line of force, the core meaning and how it is applied is very, very different. fwiw.

Vide said:
Although, I'm leary of any one calling an organization a cult, ...

Up front, forgive my attitude, but I have had wierd experiences within AA. I have been an alcoholic all my life. Still am, always will be. Amongst many other substances. I come from an alchoholic backround and saw nothing wrong with getting a buzz since 12 years old. That's about 40 years ago. I fall down, pick myself up and keep practicing sobriety. Life to me is a rollercoaster. I do not attend meetings anymore because to me, there is much more than coffee, doughnuts and whining. I don't wanna be rude, really. I've just never fit in there. Hell I've never "fit" in anywhere...

I agree Vide, but I do have a friend who has broken all ties. Won't be around ANYONE who is not in the program. He cut off the outside world. I don't think that is good for one's mental health. This has also warped his view of all who are not in the program. Even non-alcoholics. He and his friends think themselves "special". Addiction is tough. I DO know. BUT, one must also be strong enough to live in the world. There is more to life than 12 steps. And I have said so in meetings. I thought it would be hard to be alone with AA, but they just don't like my views and I turned into an alien, I guess. I was not gonna sit alone with eyes piercing my body like laser beams.

I don't mean to be rough, but one has to WANT to do it, and removing oneself from the world just ain't right, unless one lives like a hermit, in a cave.

This WORK helps me. Perhaps The Work can help others too.

anart said:
Hi Vide,

I think you might be 'filling in the empty spaces' with your conclusion that 12-step programs are based on esoteric christianity. It would be very much like someone saying that the Lutheran Church is based on esoteric christianity - yes, there are some slight similarities, but the line of force is completely different.

I think you are right.

anart said:
Isn't it true that one tenet of 12-step groups is to 'give it up to a higher power'? If so, what similarity do you see with this over-arching mind-set to the line of force in esoteric christianity that (very simplified) the truth lies in self-awakening and response-ability - learning to Be - not in some outside force to whom one should 'give it up'?

I really don't see any similarity. I think that I was trying hold on to my sacred cow and those beliefs I learned and applying them to the Work. In truth, they don't really hold water.

anart said:
I understand there is a fine line there, but the devil is in the details. Another example would be the 'self-improvement' courses like Landmark where similarities could also be found if one looked hard enough - but the line of force, the core meaning and how it is applied is very, very different. fwiw.

Thanks for being critical ;)

Al Today said:
Vide said:
Although, I'm leary of any one calling an organization a cult, ...

Up front, forgive my attitude, but I have had wierd experiences within AA. I have been an alcoholic all my life. Still am, always will be. Amongst many other substances. I come from an alchoholic backround and saw nothing wrong with getting a buzz since 12 years old. That's about 40 years ago. I fall down, pick myself up and keep practicing sobriety. Life to me is a rollercoaster. I do not attend meetings anymore because to me, there is much more than coffee, doughnuts and whining. I don't wanna be rude, really. I've just never fit in there. Hell I've never "fit" in anywhere...

I agree Vide, but I do have a friend who has broken all ties. Won't be around ANYONE who is not in the program. He cut off the outside world. I don't think that is good for one's mental health. This has also warped his view of all who are not in the program. Even non-alcoholics. He and his friends think themselves "special". Addiction is tough. I DO know. BUT, one must also be strong enough to live in the world. There is more to life than 12 steps. And I have said so in meetings. I thought it would be hard to be alone with AA, but they just don't like my views and I turned into an alien, I guess. I was not gonna sit alone with eyes piercing my body like laser beams.

I agree completely. I felt like I fit in at first, but the more I questioned, the less I fit. Questioning AA just wasn't welcome. I remember questioning the so called 'sex inventory'. Why would I want to take sex advice from someone who was probably a sex addict, allegedly slept with newcomers and had a mistress for 15 years? Those laser beam eyes... boy I can relate :shock:

Al said:
I don't mean to be rough, but one has to WANT to do it, and removing oneself from the world just ain't right, unless one lives like a hermit, in a cave. This WORK helps me. Perhaps The Work can help others too.

I agree. One thing that I experienced in AA was an openess to discuss this Work, the C's. but they didn't take it seriously. AA was the holy grail of spirituality, anything else was 'interesting' Thanks for the comments Al

Vide said:
... Questioning AA just wasn't welcome.

Yep, blind obediance. What others want this? Too many... Just a few question, and one is pointed out for removal from the herd.

Vide said:
For starters, the 'cult' questions about AA. From my experience these are true to extent, especially the unwritten mystery step "Thou Shall Not Question"

This is an unwritten rule in some minds in AA, however I can't find it in the Twelve Steps. I ignore the unwritten rule or if challenged, I am prepared to discuss my understanding, being open to change if I am wrong. When it became apparent to the "big book thumpers" that I was not going to be intimidated and I still had several brain cells operating they stopped efforts to enforce conformity to their understanding which is often personality driven. However, I suggest you search your own reactions to the unwritten rule, "Thou Shall Not Question". This rule is in effect far and wide in human society and is not unique to AA. AA provides an excellent opportunity to examine conformity in ourselves and groups. It is up to us to change AA, as it it open to all who wish to stop drinking and that includes those of us who ask a lot of questions. This is how we find truth and sobriety, and as we discover a little truth we can share it with others, occasionally someone hears.

Anart said:

Twelve Steps said:
3. Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him.

God as we understood Him. does not include or exclude any definition, location, or understanding of
God or a Higher Power. The concept insists on disinfrancizing the personality and its self centered desires
as God. However, this concept is seldom understood by members, ex-members, or observers. As you say, the
devil is in the details. The AA literature makes clear the God concept is our understanding, and not enforced or
suggested by AA. I prefer to remain open minded in this regard. As I study Mouravieff and Gurdjieff's words on
the structure of the universe, I realize The Absolute One is amazingly close to my concept of God, which has been
"All is God. "

anart said:
I understand there is a fine line there, but the devil is in the details. Another example would be the 'self-improvement' courses like Landmark where similarities could also be found if one looked hard enough - but the line of force, the core meaning and how it is applied is very, very different.

Self-improvement is not the objective of esoteric Christianity or the Twelve Steps as I currently understand them, spirtual awakening is the objective as stated in Step Twelve. Self-awakening and response-ability in anart's words, is the objective of Esoteric Christianity. The words differ, but the message seems the same. The objective of the Twelve Steps of AA is a transformation of being, from a self centered personality, to a personality united with the real "I" as Mouravieff says or as AA says, turn your life over to the care of God, which I admit cloaks the principle in archaic language. I have heard it said the truth hides in plain sight. This is a Mixtus Orbis with lots of different language to confuse the issue.

Al Today said:
I felt like I fit in at first, but the more I questioned, the less I fit. Questioning AA just wasn't welcome. I remember questioning the so called 'sex inventory'. Why would I want to take sex advice from someone who was probably a sex addict, allegedly slept with newcomers and had a mistress for 15 years? Those laser beam eyes... boy I can relate

I have experienced all you and Vide have experienced in AA. This says more about us than it does the Twelve Steps. Alcoholics Anonymous is the messenger, not the message. The Twelve Step system of spiritual awakening is the message. The method is in the work of studying ourselves in relationship to all. I have experienced disapproval and social ostracism in Alcoholics Anonymous as well. The cult like behavior of many members and groups became my petty tyrannt and enormously accelerated the work of self observation and transformation of negative emotional respose to its positive role. I remain silent on this aspect of the AA work, unless asked, which is seldom. It seems the principles of awakening are often found mixed with lies, this seems to be the reality of Third Density existence. It sharpens are critical faculties and provides resistence to our ideals, so that we may discover the hidden programs that have reached conclusions.
Vide said:
Do you find this to be true as well? I can see the STO side of it and and the Know Thyself part and how they relate to the Work. Are you still 'active' in your fellowship? If you don't mind my asking:)

I do find your comments to be true. I also notice that people who attain long term sobriety in AA understand spiritual awakening requires progress, or they get drunk. I continue to work in AA, as it provides a place to learn and make a small contribution, however the spiritual work now is mostly with the methods and concepts of Gurdjieff, Mouravieff, and the Cassiopaea Forum. The Twelve Steps were a practical, simple way to begin spirtiual work for a bankrupt alcoholic. The years of work with the Twelve Steps makes the concepts and methods much more available as I have experienced humility which comes when we truely begin to see are selves. Many people recover from addictions with the Twelve Steps, many don't. Remembering to observe self is not easy, but I have not stopped and I begin to notice changes, in fact somedays I don't recognize myself. Thanks for your comments.

go2 said:
The Twelve Steps were a practical, simple way to begin spirtiual work for a bankrupt alcoholic.

True... For one who is not exposed to the Work, this (AA) can be a good start to self observation and getting your act together. I remember when I lost ALL, and had NO control, I had NOTHING left. Except a place to bleed my heart with others who had "been there". Those who have control of themselves simply do not understand the helplessness that comes with hitting bottom. Some hear the wake up call and some do not. I ain't perfect, I do slide, and fall. But one MUST continue to follow the desires to clear the mind.

go2, Vide, thanks for your comments on this. it's interesting to see it being discussed in the context of esoteric Work.

i spent some time going through the twelve-step program, and from my own experience, it was extremely beneficial. it helped me to learn discipline at a time when i had none at all. it gave me some hard lessons in honesty, being responsible to other people, and many other things... there were many positive factors during that period of "recovery", and the twelve steps was one of them.

however, in my own case (i can't speak for anyone else), it served best as a transitional factor, more so than a lifelong commitment to some sort of cause. understanding and "conquering" addiction was an important step in my personal development. but it was just that - a step. not one of twelve. just one step. as time progressed i saw others in "the program" becoming knotted up, stressed and altogether strung out on their own inadequacies. spilling the beans about awful stuff one did in their past began to resemble a grand contest of war stories. it looked like people were desperately clinging to that one step.

i should say, also, that there were and are a few shining stars in this program - people who are compassionate, sincere and genuine about helping others; and who are sensible and reasonable - their wits about them, so to speak. however, the majority of what i saw was people eager to strap on a label and define themselves according to a rigid set of guidelines - thus, in my own view, limiting their potential once the goal of sobriety and an understanding of addiction was reached. that, in my opinion, is the beneficial aspect of the twelve steps. yet for many, it becomes a religion.

also, the aspect of reliance on the big book and all things bill w. did bother me, but i will refrain from any criticisms on him or his work, save to say that people have made his words scripture, and it seems to be that process of deifying one man and his work is what limits many people from discovering WHO they can BE, instead of resting on the conclusion that they are "an alcoholic" and nothing more.

but i am very grateful for the program and what it meant to me at the time. it led me to where i live now as well as a head-space of responsibility and the refinement of Will, which led me to the Work. in my own experience, the best treatment for addiction has and continues to be a constant striving to Work on myself - not to stay mired in loops of self-pity, guilt and categorizing/stereotyping/defining myself.

overall, i think the nature of those who seek recovery from addiction can propel them into more addiction if they are not careful about what they seek. many in AA are addicted to AA, and the atmosphere of "the program" restricts them from truly understanding addiction, osit.

edit: when i say "restricts them from truly understanding addiction" i mean one's own, specific experience with addiction. i do not claim this broad understanding, however i do feel as though i've come to a place where i understand why i struggled with addiction. just wanted to clarify that so as to not make a blanket statement.

Hello.

I am currently doing the program for close to two months. I agree with all the critiques that were made in this thread regarding the organization. What is a huge red flag for me personally is that during it's initial stages, the organization was endorsed and financed by John D. Rockefeller, Jr. It even says so in the big book, and you can do your own research on the internet regarding this connection if you type in "alcoholics anonymous" AND "Rockefeller" on search engines. It really makes you wonder if there is a hidden agenda here. Almost all rehabs and drug and alcohol facilities funnel the patient into a twelve step program and rarely, if ever, offer any alternatives. Why? Was this done on purpose? Why is the twelve step program so huge? How did it get so huge? Could there be some nefarious reasons for why this is so? These are all questions I have in my mind but never share with the people in the meetings. While there are lots of red flags here, I am still trying to be open minded about just the twelve steps. The core essence of the twelve steps in and of itself seems rather benign, though I can't help but feel a bit paranoid. Step One is all about "surrendering." I don't like the sound of that. The AA people will tell me I'm being hard-headed. Maybe I am, I don't know. I definitely know I had an insane obsession with mind altering substances for several years, and the idea is that I need to "surrender" to this fact. Trying to "control" this obsession by indulging in a balanced way is apparently impossible to do. Fair enough. I admit that even thinking about trying to control it in an obsessive manner, I've already lost control. The solution to this problem is apparently relying on god to restore you to "sanity." What "sanity" is, I don't know.

Anyways, just some thoughts. I go to the meetings to just network face to face with people for the most part. Some are zealous, but many people are chill, so I don't mind interacting with them. I have a sponsor. He's intelligent, but he holds onto a lot of sacred cows regarding his perception of AA, so I don't share my doubts with him at all. Right now, I'm just trying to be open minded about practicing the twelve steps, which is the core essence of the program. A lot of people swear by it, including some members of this forum I spoke to regarding it, so let's see how it goes. I just find it weird that it was endorsed by Rockefeller. Makes you wonder if there is anything fishy going on here.

Hello.

I am currently doing the program for close to two months. I agree with all the critiques that were made in this thread regarding the organization. What is a huge red flag for me personally is that during it's initial stages, the organization was endorsed and financed by John D. Rockefeller, Jr. It even says so in the big book, and you can do your own research on the internet regarding this connection if you type in "alcoholics anonymous" AND "Rockefeller" on search engines. It really makes you wonder if there is a hidden agenda here. Almost all rehabs and drug and alcohol facilities funnel the patient into a twelve step program and rarely, if ever, offer any alternatives. Why? Was this done on purpose? Why is the twelve step program so huge? How did it get so huge? Could there be some nefarious reasons for why this is so? These are all questions I have in my mind but never share with the people in the meetings. While there are lots of red flags here, I am still trying to be open minded about just the twelve steps. The core essence of the twelve steps in and of itself seems rather benign, though I can't help but feel a bit paranoid. Step One is all about "surrendering." I don't like the sound of that. The AA people will tell me I'm being hard-headed. Maybe I am, I don't know. I definitely know I had an insane obsession with mind altering substances for several years, and the idea is that I need to "surrender" to this fact. Trying to "control" this obsession by indulging in a balanced way is apparently impossible to do. Fair enough. I admit that even thinking about trying to control it in an obsessive manner, I've already lost control. The solution to this problem is apparently relying on god to restore you to "sanity." What "sanity" is, I don't know.

Anyways, just some thoughts. I go to the meetings to just network face to face with people for the most part. Some are zealous, but many people are chill, so I don't mind interacting with them. I have a sponsor. He's intelligent, but he holds onto a lot of sacred cows regarding his perception of AA, so I don't share my doubts with him at all. Right now, I'm just trying to be open minded about practicing the twelve steps, which is the core essence of the program. A lot of people swear by it, including some members of this forum I spoke to regarding it, so let's see how it goes. I just find it weird that it was endorsed by Rockefeller. Makes you wonder if there is anything fishy going on here.
I cleaned up back in 86 with the help of AA and NA- am still clean and attend meetings more as a remider where i came from and to share my lived experience of recovery and to be in service to others.

I believe that in its early days AA was approached by big business folk fund AA !! however this didnt happen due to the traditions (that are guidelines for the running/functioning of the fellowship

1. Our common welfare should come first; personal recovery depends upon A.A. unity.
2. For our group purpose there is but one ultimate authority — a loving God as He may express Himself in our group conscience. Our leaders are but trusted servants; they do not govern.
3. The only requirement for A.A. membership is a desire to stop drinking.
4. Each group should be autonomous except in matters affecting other groups or A.A. as a whole.
5. Each group has but one primary purpose — to carry its message to the alcoholic who still suffers.
6. An A.A. group ought never endorse, finance, or lend the A.A. name to any related facility or outside enterprise, lest problems of money, property, and prestige divert us from our primary purpose.
7. Every A.A. group ought to be fully self-supporting, declining outside contributions.
8. Alcoholics Anonymous should remain forever non-professional, but our service centers may employ special workers.
9. A.A., as such, ought never be organized; but we may create service boards or committees directly responsible to those they serve.
10. Alcoholics Anonymous has no opinion on outside issues; hence the A.A. name ought never be drawn into public controversy.
11. Our public relations policy is based on attraction rather than promotion; we need always maintain personal anonymity at the level of press, radio, and films.
12. Anonymity is the spiritual foundation of all our traditions, ever reminding us to place principles before personalities.

tradition six is worth of note here as well as tradition 7 in respect of being bought out and taken over by business.
A useful set of guidelines that have kept the fellowship going and expanding for many years

also tradition 10
the treatment centres(as a business model) adopted the 12 step approach which became known as the minnesota model.The Hazel
As the rehab industry began expanding in the 1970s, its profit motives dovetailed nicely with AA’s view that counseling could be delivered by people who had themselves struggled with addiction, rather than by highly trained (and highly paid) doctors and mental-health professionals. No other area of medicine or counseling makes such allowances.
Hazelden was the first orginzation that turned recovery from addiction into a business

When Hazelden officially opened its doors on 1 May 1949 , the program expectations were few and simple. The patients were expected to:

practice responsible behavior;
attend the lectures on the Steps;
associate and talk with the other patients; and
make their beds.

Each client is given a copy of both the Big Book and the Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions. Treatment is administered by lay-therapists, recovering alcoholics who got their sobriety in AA. Treatment is focused solely on the first five of the Twelve Steps. All clients are encouraged to associate with one another, as identification of one drunk with another is seen as central to recovery.

As Hazelden grows, its board decides to expand Hazeden’s campus and treatment program. Several elements are adapted from the program developed at Wilmar State Hospital . Among these elements are the assumption that initial motivation is not related to treatment outcome and the multidisciplinary approach to treatment.

The assumption that initial motivation is not related to treatment outcome means that, unlike in Twelve Step organizations, at Hazelden the desire to stop using is not required to participate in treatment. You don’t have to want to get sober; you just have to check in. This policy means that many of Hazelden’s clients enter treatment with a high level of resistance to recovery. In order to compensate for this resistance, Hazelden places a great deal of emphasis on the First Step, where various forms of intervention are used to convince the client of his or her powerlessness and need for help.

Adopting the multidisciplinary approach means that Hazelden will now have psychiatrists working alongside the lay-therapists. This means introducing conflicting perspectives on how treatment should be carried out.

so the AA approach to recovery was monopilsed by foundations . There is big money to be madein treatment centres/rehabs -

it works both ways- some people get introduced to AA NA etc etc through being in a rehab that is run along the Minnesota model(adopted from AA 12 steps) part of the programmes is regulat attendance to AA/12 step meetings.

I know plenty of folk who got ckean and sober just through attending 12 step fellowship meeting - every one has there respective way of getting into recovery.

IMO 12 step is not the be all and end all and ive seen may people equally succesful in recovery from numerous other appraches .

AA and other 12 step fellowships/members ( if adhering to the traditions properly) work on the premise of attraction rather than promotion. A very important factor.

some of the newer fellowships NA for instance have adopted more up to date language in their recovery books and literature and words like "Higher power'' are use instead of God . There is currently alot of controversy In AA as service boards are finding it a challenge to re word the original "big book 0f AA'' and update the languge to current times - The origins of the AA big book are obviously quite religious in a christian way - ( the people at that time lived in that mindset) the controversy is around the purist view that the original book must not be changed or altered and the more forward thinking folk who are suggesting that the religious aspects are removed as they are out of date and can put people off AA thus not giving them an oopotunity to recover.
I personally took the rehab root when i cleaned up.Some of the beds were funded by the state but the majority of beds were private paid for. Sadly this is still the case in the uk.

it stands to reason that there going to be a vast mix of different fold in 12 step fellowships - sadly there are crazies and very mentally sick people amongst them ..

alot of bad press about 12 step recovery comes about by individuals /influencers blowing their trumpets and neglecting the Traditions -

hence there are splinter groups and in certain cases cult like individuals who have their own followers and do their "own brand of AA'

and in some case a hug amount of damage is done by these individuals along with bring AA / 12 step into public contrversy.

While the 12 Steps were inspired by spiritual ideals, a 12-step program itself is not religious at all.

Let’s repeat that. You don’t have to be religious in the slightest to benefit from 12-step programs.

At most, these principles can be considered spiritual in nature. They focus on the larger ideas of faith, honesty, humility, and repentance. In fact, in AA tradition, these twelve steps are known as the 12 spiritual, not religious, principles.

What’s the difference?

While the 12 Steps do invoke God several times, the very first mention is followed by the phrase as we understood Him, emphasizing that each member’s understanding of a Higher Power is very individualized and personal. Some members do believe in a traditional God, while others simply believe in karma. Others believe the “power greater than themselves” is Earth, science, Mother Nature, the universe, humanity at large, or even their recovery fellowship.

in meetings we might mention a higher power but we try and keep within the guidelines of the tradtions

that way no matter what denomination/religion /non religion etc we dont discuss issues related to this as it could spark off argument disunity and thus conflict us as individuals and a group which diverts us from our primary purpose which is to help other alcoholics /addicts codependents /etc etc recover .

best and in fellowship
from Rob.

Back
Top Bottom