Signs of the Times Archive (UPDATE?)/and another thing

eric2k

The Force is Strong With This One
Hello again, its me the local complainer AGAIN :P

I want to thank Joe for fixing my last issue with the site.

Anyhow my new request, this has been bugging me forages.

To help me improve easy of use when trying to aqquire knowladge on a given subject could we please to the
http://signs-of-the-times.org/signs/signsarchive.php page have a SEARCH ENGINE OF SORTS? added?

I really need this when i am trying to gather as much as I can on a given subject based on news and so forth from past. It would speed things up greatly.

Other question is "Signs Monthly News Roundups", WHERE ARE THEY!????

Other then that site is not to bad for now.

There is already a search engine, but I suppose it is a bit hidden: http://www.cassiopaea.org/search.htm

Type in your query and from the "Search Index" list, select "signs". As for the montly roundups, the only reason I can think why there is a "delay" is because it was a relatively new feature and it takes time and effort that is being spent on other things.

Yeah, we have a group member doing the monthly news roundups, so it may take a while, I will check with him to see how it is coming along.

Joe

Question about searching the signs pages. It appears that you guys index them--signs pages--occasionally, and then they are available to the search engine--as search results. Is this correct? How far behind are the indexes? Thanks.

Craig said:
There is already a search engine, but I suppose it is a bit hidden: http://www.cassiopaea.org/search.htm

Type in your query and from the "Search Index" list, select "signs". As for the montly roundups, the only reason I can think why there is a "delay" is because it was a relatively new feature and it takes time and effort that is being spent on other things.
Yeah, i recall that page, but it is no longer linked to the main page so i GEUSSED it was out dated/removed.

I don't mind that search but.. i hate how i can not sort by DATE... i really really wish we could do that.

Then as the last poster said, how often is that updated??

-Eric

Our old search engine was pretty much awful. There are plans afoot for a new one, but it takes time and money. We'll get there - hopefully sooner rather than later. :)

I am sure you can find... good FREE scripts all over.... no need for $$$

I just like to search SOTT using google with "site:signs-of-the-times.org <search term(s)>".

May I suggest MXSiteSearch:

http://www.interaktonline.com/Products/Dreamweaver-Extensions/MXSiteSearch/Overview/

I have not used this product personally, but after doing some research a few weeks ago for a project I concluded that Interakt offers some very powerful products that are very flexible.

Dominique.

Only having Google as a search tool is not practical. Google is good for basic search needs on a local site. On the whole it does not allow for powerful searches and sort options that are needed for a news site of this calbour. Locally ran scripts are refined and far more versatile to a user.

THE BIGER problem I see with the whole situation is, the site should have taken advantage of a backed news script that has all this built into it. But since it started off so long ago and never had one then. To make it work properly you would still need to convert old news archive OVER. That would require a lot of man hours to accomplish all that. OR the best option, a search engine which is like killing two birds with one stone. Just add a search and finish with it, no need to do whole back end and so on and convert archive over.

I have online friends who code scripts that can be found on sites like hot scripts. I am going to discuss with them the best free search options for the site. We shall see, perhaps they would even be nice enough to code us something custom for our needs. I would not be able personally to code anything that complex but Anyhow I am happy to see others like the idea of GOOD search system for everyone who uses this site.

Bump!

I am tyring to sort search results by date. Have things progressed since 2006?
Is there a recent guide to searching anywhere explaining punctuation, parameters, etc beyond the top right menu option of just scope within the forum?
There is a reference to an external application called "interakt" from Domi but whatyever it was seems to be defunct.
Folks occasionally get criticised for insufficient research before posting (often justified for not searching at all...)
Just wondering. :/

After a bit more effort, I have discovered much more functionality with the search function at the top of the window than the top right page one that I have previously been using.
Apologies Mods. :-[

Back
Top Bottom