Simplistic Creamy Coconut oil Xylitol Chocolate bars or sauce (no thickeners!)

monotonic

The Living Force
Hello all.

I've been experimenting with chocolate. I had the idea to use coconut oil since it seems have the kind of consistency you want in chocolate. I developed this recipe with keeping it cold in mind, but it could be an amazing sauce if it stays soft at room temperature (admittedly I don't know yet!).

At first I had major problems because I was simply melting the xylitol with heat and no water, as I was afraid the water would make the chocolate too soft. Normally, xylitol take hours to harden after melting. But to my great surprise I discovered that if you add enough oil to it, it hardens almost instantly into a rock! I created many rocks this way. I think this could be useful to create crunchy toppings and hard "candies".

I've ended up with this recipe. After realizing there was no way to mix melted xylitol and oil without the xylitol crystallizing into a powder or hardening into a large rock, I decided to try and find the smallest amount of water I could add that would fully dissolve the xylitol without it crystallizing later. I began from the outset to dissolve the xylitol in the water using heat, because it is very slow otherwise.

When I had discovered how much water was necessary to dissolve the xylitol, I found that it tended to crystallize to the dish and give the chocolate a powdery texture. It seems the chocolate also causes the xylitol to crystallize. At this point I began reducing the xylitol rather than using more water, because I was worried the water was softening the chocolate.

I discovered that when your xylitol has the tendency to crystallize, it doesn't sweeten the chocolate very well. So after you've added enough xylitol to crystallize, adding more xylitol doesn't make it much sweeter unless you like chewing the xylitol crystals. That's perfect really because that's too sweet anyways.

Eventually I came to this. Before it hardens, it is luxuriously creamy and tasteful. After it hardens, it's still amazingly good and turns creamy again in your mouth. I was very surprised.

I have been adjusting this using very small serving sizes so far in small sauce cups. I'll call this one serving size for now. I am using American measures (not all tablespoons are the same).

1TBSP Xylitol
1+1/2 TSP Water
1 TBSP + 2 TSP Coconut oil (preferably cold)
3TBSP Powdered Cocoa

Throw Xylitol, water and coconut oil into a very small cup. Microwave for 50 seconds, ONLY until xylitol is well-dissolved (water will boil). Put a stiff card over the cup so oil doesn't make a mess. Add cocoa, set it in a cold water or ice bath and whisk (I use a fork) only until mildly creamy (it will get chunky if you go too far, that's all). Then harden in the freezer for at least 20 minutes. You can skip hardening if you want to use it as a topping or sauce.

I haven't tried making larger portions yet, but the stuff seems so well-behaved that I think it would work great.

If I had tallow, I would try this at least once to see if it went well. Maybe I'll have tallow in a month.

Okay, it is time to revise this a bit. I think the water actually gets too hot when it boils under a thick layer of oil. At any rate, It is best to boil the water until the xylitol is dissolved, then add the oil, then the cocoa. If you boil the water with a thick layer of oil on top, the chocolate will fail to mix and you get a layer of glop at the bottom. This occurs if I try to make a larger batch than my first recipe.

Hi monotonic. I have made something simmilar to what you want using lecithin and depending of the water/fat ratio and the temperature you can obteing a sauce or something like Ice cream.

I was inspired by this video

_https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S5n_5D0R1k

I developed this recipe based on what we had at the time, which is usually fairly minimal.

I hope no one has tried this yet, because I messed up the ingredients! That should be:

1TBSP Xylitol
2TSP water
2-3TBSP Coconut oil
4TSP Cocoa

Vary the coconut oil to change the richness. It's great if you add shredded coconut.

trendsetter37 said:
I think I will try this today. Looks simple yet rewarding, thanks for sharing this monotonic.
When making chocolate i used to melt butter and sweetener together very slowly but now prefer to do it very hot which seems to sort of caramelize the butter and then let it cool before adding any other ingredients. This seems to have taken care of sufficiently melting xylitol but i wonder if caramelized butter is any good for a person? Maybe i should have put this on the chocolate thread but this can also make it more fudgelike at room temperature.

Knowing what temperature the butter is getting to would probably be the most helpful in determining whether it could be negative. If the butter is turning brown I think it would be akin to frying meat, after all what makes butter opaque is protein. So perhaps the question here is similar to how harmful is frying meat?

Xylitol doesn't caramelize, it just boils or evaporates, based on my experience and Wikipedia.

Have you posted your recipe somewhere here? I'm curious about what you're doing and might try it.

Back
Top Bottom