So you think you've found a meteorite - identify and evaluate

Rabelais

Dagobah Resident
FOTCM Member
A friend from Ohio contacted me regarding a likely meteorite that his friend found. He wanted to know how to identify and find its value. I poked around and found this excellent information page on the subject. It is from Geoffrey Notkin's site, aerolite.com. A very informative read for those who have or may come upon such an item one day. Have You Found a Meteorite? - Aerolite Meteorites

I thought I had one once and sent photos to some experts and they told me it was a river rock. Too bad.

Yeah me too. I am looking more now, at odd rocks thinking the same thing. But no luck yet! I caramba.
Some fetch a pertty penney, I must say.

Here's a site that my be of help to see if you struck gold from the heavens.

Meteorite Identification: Have you found a space rock?
Snip:
AN INTRODUCTORY GUIDE TO METEORITE IDENTIFICATION
The third in a series of articles by Geoffrey Notkin, Aerolite Meteorites

what-are-meteorites-160.jpg

How Rare Are Meteorites?

One of my happy tasks as a meteorite hunter is running a web site that specializes in my favorite subject. We receive hundreds of thousands of visitors each year, and I try to maintain a fair balance on the site between education, photographs and reports about our expeditions, and commercial sales of meteorites. One of the most frequently visited sections of the site is a detailed guide to meteorite identification. As a result of that guide we receive, almost daily, inquiries by letter and email from hopeful individuals who think they may have found a rock from outer space.

Meteorites are among the rarest materials that exist on our planet-far less common than gold, diamonds, or even emeralds. So, the chances of discovering a new example are slim-even for those of us who make their living hunting for, and studying, meteorites. I do spend a significant amount of time each year assisting people who think they may have found the real thing, but the odds are against it. Out of the many hundreds of suspected space rocks sent to us for testing, far less than one percent turn out to be genuine visitors from outer space.

Campo del Cielo Meteorite Iron Meteor Space Rock FREE SHIPPING IN USA! | eBay

Edit add:
facebook link
https://www.facebook.com/meteoritecentral/?tn-str=k*F

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom